All the talk about Cowser and Kjerstad…but what about Stowers?

Sports Guy

13 hours ago, Jagwar said:

And isn't that OK? I'm not a stathead by any means. But I would think that it isn't a stretch to say that O'Hearn is likely to provide better defense at 1B than Santander, Kjerstad or Mayo. Don't you think?

Probably, though Santander played it pretty well in his 12 games (7 starts) there last year.  My impression is that Mayo is more capable there than Kjerstad.  

25 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I love how some people (throughout social media, not just here) are acting like this Stowers spring production is coming out of nowhere.

He has become such an underrated guy.

I don't think most of us, myself included, knew about the shoulder injury or him getting hit in the face by a pitch.  Also, we have a full mlb OF with fellow LH OF Prospects Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers, and EBJ, ranked above Stowers.  In previous years, Stowers would be viewed like how Reimold was, but we're just so stacked now with talent.  

5 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don't think most of us, myself included, knew about the shoulder injury or him getting hit in the face by a pitch.  Also, we have a full mlb OF with fellow LH OF Prospects Cowser, Kjerstad, Beavers, and EBJ, ranked above Stowers.  In previous years, Stowers would be viewed like how Reimold was, but we're just so stacked now with talent.  

You can say Stowers is a piece we can trade because of depth…but acting like he’s some bad player or can’t be good at this level, as some did, was and is just dumb. 

He has done nothing but produce at a high level in the minors. He was a guy that was picked high by Elias and played major college ball. He’s not some slouch.

Now, I agree there is a conversation to be had about how good he can be but he’s a MLer and deserves an extended chance.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

No. I’m saying that 1B is a bat first position that just about any major leaguer could adapt to. 

Defense at 1st is underrated.   There are plenty of bad 1B.   A good one helps.  A bad one hurts.  I saw Kjerstad play 1B for Bowie. Needs a lot of work.  Like a fish out of water.  On the other hand, Santander looks comfortable there.

15 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Defense at 1st is underrated.   There are plenty of bad 1B.   A good one helps.  A bad one hurts.  I saw Kjerstad play 1B for Bowie. Needs a lot of work.  Like a fish out of water.  On the other hand, Santander looks comfortable there.

Agreed.  1B defense matters a bit more if you compromise a bit defensively around the IF to get better bats in the lineup too.  But it's still a bat-first position. 

2 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

I assume the discussion will take place in the minor league board, but MLB Pipeline had Cowser over Mayo for the #3 spot

That’s based off of the idea that they have Cowser 19th overall. 

I like Cowser but I think it’s absurd to have him over Mayo. The Os top 3 are Mayo, Holliday and Basallo in whatever order you think they should be in..and I think whoever is third (most agree Mayo) has a big separation from who you have at 4.  That’s not a knock on #4, more of how good the top 3 are imo.

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I personally think that’s a weak answer.

I would agree.  Cowser is a very good prospect, but Mayo has the chance to be a real masher.  If both he and Basallo continue their progression, the two of them hitting back to back in the middle of the order would be awesome (if you're not pitching to them!).

Just now, clapdiddy said:

I would agree.  Cowser is a very good prospect, but Mayo has the chance to be a real masher.  If both he and Basallo continue their progression, the two of them hitting back to back in the middle of the order would be awesome (if you're not pitching to them!).

The top 5 potential of Holliday, Adley, Gunnar, Mayo and Basallo is insane to me. 3, maybe 4 #1 prospects and another top 15 (maybe higher) type guy. That is as much young talent as I bet we have ever seen at the top of a lineup before (just saying that in terms of pure prospect rankings).

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The top 5 potential of Holliday, Adley, Gunnar, Mayo and Basallo is insane to me. 3, maybe 4 #1 prospects and another top 15 (maybe higher) type guy. That is as much young talent as I bet we have ever seen at the top of a lineup before (just saying that in terms of pure prospect rankings).

We could see a couple of years of this, provided all stay healthy.   Don't know what the future holds for Adley and Gunnar, but having those 5 at the top of the order for a couple of years would be incredible if they all reach their potential.    Then, you throw in possible guys like Kjerstad, Cowser, Bradfield....sheesh.