Hays Interested in Extension

Bird Lady

19 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Is there really any motivation or urgency to extend an 751 OPS lifetime outfielder?

As I said - no urgency.  In a year, they can think about it.  My guess is the answer will still be no, but we’ll see.  

Edited by Frobby

If we consider the 2024 - 28 seasons to be our competitive window for a WS title, or two, then 2024 is going to tell us a lot about who gets extended,  who gets released,  who gets traded,  and who retires.  This year is the "make it, or break it" year for a lot of players,  veterans and young guys, alike.  Hays is going to have to prove he deserves an extension  just like everybody else. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Yossarian said:

If we consider the 2024 - 28 seasons to be our competitive window for a WS title, or two, then 2024 is going to tell us a lot about who gets extended,  who gets released,  who gets traded,  and who retires.  This year is the "make it, or break it" year for a lot of players,  veterans and young guys, alike.  Hays is going to have to prove he deserves an extension  just like everybody else. 

Having said this,  what type of stat line in 2024 would warrant extending him beyond 2025?

Would 25 HRs, 80 RBI, .280 Ave, and .800 OPS do it?

1 minute ago, Yossarian said:

Having said this,  what type of stat line in 2024 would warrant extending him beyond 2025?

Would 25 HRs, 80 RBI, .280 Ave, and .800 OPS do it?

It depends on the younger guys.  Honestly I think it’s a long shot that this will make sense for us.  If it does make sense, that’s probably bad news because it means our younger guys have been disappointing.  

• Upvote 1

Reminder that signing a fair deal with Austin Hays does not preclude trading him if Colton Cowser takes his job.

signing guys to trade would’ve been preferable to the Galvis/Franco/Odor type signings during the tank, and Angelos is no longer the owner. So we’ll see if Rosenstein is willing to shoulder the risk for potentially get better prospects.

Edited by brooooksy

I hope 2 years from today he's more secure in a job he's excited about the week before camps open than Tommy Pham or Adam DuVall tonight.

I like the pluck doing this hours after the Arb win.

We just heard Elias' Basallo 1B v. RF comments on his 105.7 interview - if Mayo must yield 3B (giving Westburg or maybe Norby an authentic 1st string role), I think it becomes 1B Basallo, RF Mayo.     Mullins and EBJ I think play together some in 2025, so Hays maybe needs all of Kjerstad-Cowser-Beavers-Fabian to fail to be the 3rd guy with Mayo/EBJ in 2026.

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Let’s say we give a lot of PT to Cowser this year and he kind of flops.  Does a Hays extension make sense then?   Or do we count on Beavers to pick up the slack?

I guess I’d say I don’t reject a Hays extension as a possibility down the road, but I don’t see committing to it now.   Hopefully Hays has a career year and makes the decision more interesting. (But hopefully Cowser performs well and makes it a moot point.)

Cowser, Beavers, Horvath.   One of those guys will be the LF before any Hays extension would hypothetically kick in.

2 hours ago, Gurgi said:

I cant see how he fits the long term plans to be honest.  

I dont see an extension coming. Hays still has two years left with the O's and he'll be 30 after 2025 when he becomes a Free Agent. If the O's had no one ready behind Hays I could see a year or two extension. Who knows what kind of deal Hays has in mind.

I could be talked into an extremely team friendly deal. Assuming Santander will test FA, a reliable bat with average OF defense wouldn't be a bad thing to keep around for an extra year or two. We don't know how the prospects will pan out and most of them are LHB. I would want to pay him as a 4th OF without a no-trade clause.

I like the move. By Hays.   I don’t think it’s a good move right now for the Orioles, but I like the move. I think Frobby said it best. I don’t know what type of season it would take to consider a Hays extension, but it almost certainly would mean that Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers disappointed.