Following the intertwined career paths of Mullins, Hays and Santander

Frobby

Thanks for all the research @Frobby, yet another awesome thread.

None of our current outfield were highly thought of prior to being drafted. As you stated, Mullins was a 13th rounder out of Campbell, not a baseball powerhouse. Hayes was a 3rd rounder out of Jacksonville and Santander was signed by the Cleveland Indians as an international free agent in July 2011. 

Conversely, Heston Kjerstad (1.2) and Colton Cowser (1.5) are both very high draft picks with significant pedigrees. Additionally, Bradfield Jr. was also a first rounder (1.17) out of a very good SEC school. It makes me hope that the current crop of outfield prospects might be able to exceed what Mullins, Hayes and Santander have accomplished.

Edited by Jim'sKid26
  • Upvote 1

One difference, I don't think any of Hays, Santander, or Mullins were ever listed as MLB Top 100 type prospects. Mullins was a 13th rounder, Hays was a 3rd rounder. Kjerstad as 1:2, and Cowser 1:5 and they are currently listed as MLB #32 and #19, respectively. No guarantees but they have a different level of pedigree that isn't apples to apples with the current group.

32 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

One difference, I don't think any of Hays, Santander, or Mullins were ever listed as MLB Top 100 type prospects. Mullins was a 13th rounder, Hays was a 3rd rounder. Kjerstad as 1:2, and Cowser 1:5 and they are currently listed as MLB #32 and #19, respectively. No guarantees but they have a different level of pedigree that isn't apples to apples with the current group.

Ummm...

- Hays rampaged through A+ and AA, hitting .328/.364/.592 at Frederick in the first half and then .330/.367/.554 in the second half  at Bowie.   He got a September call-up to the Orioles but struggled there, hitting .217/.238/.317 in 63 PA.   On the strength of that season, Hays was ranked the no. 21 prospect in MLB by BA, no. 23 by MLB.com, and no. 72 by BP.  He also was one of five finalists chosen for Minor League Player of the Year.

• Upvote 3

Great thread, thanks.  One thing clear though is how Hays got the 'injury prone' moniker.  Geez, it seems every single year about him had something to do with being hurt, injured or shut down, at least until the past 2 years.  But from '16 to '21, each year had SOMETHING health wise.  

30 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

With respect to Hays, as @Frobby pointed out, Hays was a very highly rated prospect: Hays was ranked the no. 21 prospect in MLB by BA, no. 23 by MLB.com, and no. 72 by BP.

With respect to Santander, it’s hard to even gauge whether he could’ve become a highly ranked prospect because his development was so disrupted by being a Rule 5 pick who had to accrue sufficient service time to remain in the organization. If he stays in the Cleveland organization and on a normal developmental track and puts up similar numbers to what he did in the Carolina league, who knows what happens. When Santander was 24 he had spent too much time in the majors to be ranked on a prospect list.

I hope the upcoming outfielders are successful, but assuming they will better than the current group based on their pedigree is not an assumption I would make.

8 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Ummm...

- Hays rampaged through A+ and AA, hitting .328/.364/.592 at Frederick in the first half and then .330/.367/.554 in the second half  at Bowie.   He got a September call-up to the Orioles but struggled there, hitting .217/.238/.317 in 63 PA.   On the strength of that season, Hays was ranked the no. 21 prospect in MLB by BA, no. 23 by MLB.com, and no. 72 by BP.  He also was one of five finalists chosen for Minor League Player of the Year.

Good correction but didn't he get a bunch of injuries after that? Where was he ranked when he came up for good? 

11 minutes ago, Sydnor said:

I hope the upcoming outfielders are successful, but assuming they will better than the current group based on their pedigree is not an assumption I would make.

I am definitely not assuming that. Also not assuming that they will struggle just because three other players who happened to be Orioles outfielders also struggled. My main takeaway is to have patience if they do struggle. 

20 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I am definitely not assuming that. Also not assuming that they will struggle just because three other players who happened to be Orioles outfielders also struggled. My main takeaway is to have patience if they do struggle. 

It’s harder to have patience now that the team is good.  The years that our current trio struggled, the team was going nowhere regardless of their struggles.  That’s not true now.  

I generally agree that Kjerstad and Cowser have better pedigrees than the current trio, and I hope they turn out to be better and don’t struggle for as long.  But it’s not guaranteed.  

• Upvote 1

2021 Mullins was so awesome.

(Fantastic post, btw)

I think you make a great point about how it took each of them a few years to establish themselves in the majors. People here can be a bit prospect-obsessed. Sometimes guys seem shocked or outraged at the idea that players like Hays or Urias could be getting regular ABs in 2024. But that's not crazy at all. You need a mix of experience and young talent. Not everyone is going to take off like a rocket once they reach the bigs. 

Edited by TommyPickles

Brandon Hyde will have some bones to make managing his outfielders.

Hays and Santander are good pros, and both have ~$50M guarantees in range, if not ~$100M like Cedric does.

But if Kjerstad and Cowser and Mayo are who Elias thought they were, they could well start straight outplaying the incumbents, even setting all $$$/WAR efficiency considerations aside.

We're facing Gerrit Cole in Game 1....who belongs?

Inevitably at some point a good Oriole inundated by the #RisingTide will work for some other good AL team.    The Baltimore Mike Elias, Toronto George Springer and Minnesota Carlos Correa teams haven't bothered Houston yet.    Santander, Hays and Mullins will come to market with AL East experience and hopefully also multiple division championships.

I like that these 3 guys have actually done what in fuzzy memory it seems like Anderson-Devereaux-Finley did.

Edited by Just Regular