Did Elias make a blunder?

doccat

8 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Smell is coming off a dominant Cy Young season. His market isn’t gonna get better next year. 

Exactly. Why would a player settle for a "prove it" type contract when he just won the frickin' Cy Young. Especially a player who's been as up and down throughout his career as Snell. This is the ideal time for him to cash in and it's just going to be a question of how much he and Boras have to come down from their ridiculous contract expections. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Orioles5258 said:

January:
We want Basallo, Norby and Cowser for Luzardo

February:
Hey we just read that Kyle Bradish has a UCL injury
We now want Basallo, Norby, Cowser and Kjrestad for Luzardo

yea i dont think it works like that

I think it does.

18 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

I think it does.

I do contract negotiations for a living (granted in a much different industry). I don't think the asking price goes up from what it was because of this news and a perception that the Orioles may be more desperate, but the asking price is already higher than the Orioles wanted to pay (otherwise a deal would've been done). I do think the balance has changed a bit and the other team may perceive a bit more leverage on their side so they may be less willing (or slower) to lower the asking price further in the back and forth. 

There are two things that I'm sure are frustrating Elias right now:

1. This is the slowest developing off-season across baseball in recent memory. It's insane how many guys are still available. Players/agents are reluctant to close deals, and teams are reluctant to part with players in trades. The good news is at least there's options remaining for Elias to try to get, but I'm sure he feels like he should have been able to grab more players by now. 

2. The team sale. It's hard to do huge free agent moves while over $2 billion is changing hands. Until the sale is approved, you can't really just add, for example, Montgomery's $150 million in guaranteed salary to the books. Well you can, but it's just not commonly done I'd imagine. The sale, as welcome as it is, is unfortunately timed with this offseason. 

Edited by interloper

3 hours ago, Orioles5258 said:

January:
We want Basallo, Norby and Cowser for Luzardo

February:
Hey we just read that Kyle Bradish has a UCL injury
We now want Basallo, Norby, Cowser and Kjrestad for Luzardo

yea i dont think it works like that

Either trade would be terrible for the O's.  We need another front line starter but not at that price.  

17 hours ago, doccat said:

If he was going to add another starter by trade or free agency, the price just shot through the roof with today’s news…

He should have made the move prior to today if he’s known about these injuries for a while…

I know if I’m an agent or GM and I get a call from Elias my asking price is WAY higher today than it was 24 hours ago

Actually, I thought he made the right move if he knew about Bradish before closing Burnes.  It may have cost more.  As far as free agents I don't believe it would make much difference $$ now.

On 2/15/2024 at 10:47 PM, doccat said:

If he was going to add another starter by trade or free agency, the price just shot through the roof with today’s news…

He should have made the move prior to today if he’s known about these injuries for a while…

I know if I’m an agent or GM and I get a call from Elias my asking price is WAY higher today than it was 24 hours ago

No it's not a blunder. C'mon. You add talent where it makes sense, you don't overpay or stretch your resources thin to add deep depth. Wasn't it a week ago that major publications and outlets were touting the O's as having one of the stronger rotations in baseball? You don't use a small-to-mid-market team's resources to go all in on a $300M contract for a starter when your rotation is already a strength.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

No it's not a blunder. C'mon. You add talent where it makes sense, you don't overpay or stretch your resources thin to add deep depth. Wasn't it a week ago that major publications and outlets were touting the O's as having one of the stronger rotations in baseball? You don't use a small-to-mid-market team's resources to go all in on a $300M contract for a starter when your rotation is already a strength.

Yea but that strength has turned into a giant question mark now. Bradish could be done for the year and Means is already telling us that it’s very likely he won’t be reliable this year.

I don’t disagree that you don’t stretch yourself thin but things are drastically different today than they were this time last week.

On 2/15/2024 at 11:21 PM, Sports Guy said:

People who think Elias is going to pay way more because of some sense of desperation don’t know Elias or understand how he works.

I said this in the Cease thread. I don’t see Elias acting out of desperation 

I think a smaller move is much more likely if any.     Elias likes all the data for a decision and for a couple months there will be incomplete data what kind of contributor Bradish can be for the '24 Orioles.     That will become clear by summer.

Lorenzen/Ryu are the high guys, but just re-reading through the free agents, Zack Greinke is I think a consummate pro in the Gibson mold and has had baseball experiences none of the Odor-Chirinos-Lyles-Gibson mentor types have had.

9 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I said this in the Cease thread. I don’t see Elias acting out of desperation 

Do you think there was a bit of desperation behind what he gave up for Flaherty last year? His good season was back in 2019.

9 hours ago, LA2 said:

Do you think there was a bit of desperation behind what he gave up for Flaherty last year? His good season was back in 2019.

I think he did what he could with the restrictions obviously related to adding payroll. It was definitely a bust move and it’s fine if you want to call it desperation. I don’t see it that way! I think he worked the deadline with a hand tied behind his back.

• Upvote 1