Jorge Mateo 2024

Just Regular

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

I find it hard to be mad at him for not being a great 2B when he's being forced there due to the silly Holliday decision. And Mateo barely played 2B in spring. So it's hard not to expect him to kinda suck over there, but that's not really his fault. I expect we'll see similar things when they put him in the OF. The O's want to desperately make him a super utility guy, but he's really just a SS. We'll see. 

Who said I was mad at him?

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He short hopped a throw turning attempting to turn a DP.

That is indication that he will suck at the position?

It’s certainly not an indication that he’s going to play above average defense over there.  He rushed the throw, too.  I think he’ll be generally fine over there, but he hasn’t played it a ton.

23 hours ago, interloper said:

I find it hard to be mad at him for not being a great 2B when he's being forced there due to the silly Holliday decision. And Mateo barely played 2B in spring. So it's hard not to expect him to kinda suck over there, but that's not really his fault. I expect we'll see similar things when they put him in the OF. The O's want to desperately make him a super utility guy, but he's really just a SS. We'll see. 

I get what you’re saying, but short-hopping a throw doesn’t mean he “sucks.” Mounty picks that 4 out of 5 times, but that throw was rifled and it was a tough pick. What he did show is he still has a very good arm. Some here were critical of his arm strength.

I think he has some work to do at 2B, to smooth some things out there with footwork and such. No one is “just a SS.” Holliday had an error yesterday too, I guess he sucks too? 😊

25 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I get what you’re saying, but short-hopping a throw doesn’t mean he “sucks.” Mounty picks that 4 out of 5 times, but that throw was rifled and it was a tough pick. What he did show is he still has a very good arm. Some here were critical of his arm strength.

I think he has some work to do at 2B, to smooth some things out there with footwork and such. No one is “just a SS.” Holliday had an error yesterday too, I guess he sucks too? 😊

Based on our new suck-o-meter, I can tell you who doesn't suck.  Adam Frazier and Joey Ortiz......neither of them made an error in their first game. 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Sanity Check said:

Based on our new suck-o-meter, I can tell you who doesn't suck.  Adam Frazier and Joey Ortiz......neither of them made an error in their first game. 🙂

Hey, not my metric. lol

I remember a couple years ago people were saying unless Mateo starts hitting better there is no way he should be starting every day just because he is a good baserunner.

Still waiting for him to hit better. 

1 minute ago, Natty said:

I remember a couple years ago people were saying unless Mateo starts hitting better there is no way he should be starting every day just because he is a good baserunner.

I remember a couple of days ago people pointing towards his usage late last season to show why he wasn't going to get much playing time this year.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Natty said:

Weird timing to post this. 

2 minutes ago, Natty said:

I waited until he was in the starting lineup first 3 games in a row. 

1) he wasn’t in the starting lineup yesterday (he actually didn’t get in the game at all)

2) in the one game he’s played, he’s 1/3 with a double and a walk (good for a 1.167 OPS)

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Mateo has been pretty good so far this season. I'm wondering how much production we are missing from him not playing in April, and how much we can squeeze that fruit and for how long before he goes back to not being able to see the baseball.

While it’s not as head turning as last April, I like what Mateo has brought to the team in the early going.  Playing mostly against LHP, he’s hitting .250/.314/.406, and has stolen 6 bases.  His stolen base and big lead off second base afterwards in the 7th was a big distraction to JP Sears during his pitch sequence to Gunnar Henderson, and Sears eventually threw Gunnar a cookie that he clobbered for a 2-run homer.  Palmer commented something like “don’t tell me that speed doesn’t bother a pitcher.”   

Overall I feel Mateo is having better strike zone judgment than usual so far.  We know that could change at any minute, but it’s been nice for now.  

• Upvote 2