Kolten Wong flyer

Sports Guy

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Maton has to pass through waivers to get to AAA.   He might get claimed.   That is why I think they signed Wong to a minor league deal.

Definitely shoring up some AAA depth with guys they know they have vs guys these need to get through waivers.

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, oriole said:

If Holliday doesn’t make the roster than my guess its because they don’t think he’s ready. The dude isn’t even old enough to buy weed at a dispensary. 

If we’re gonna get subpar results from a left handed 2B, right now I would prefer it be someone who isn’t going to burn a year of service time that could be utilized when he can hang in the majors. 

Im not saying that’s what should be done. But I trust the outlook from the people watching Holliday play to determine whether or not he could outhit Wong or Maton. If he can’t, then no use in burning that year of service time.

Completely agree. No need to burn a year to field a kid who would have similar production as Maton, Wong, etc. I know it’ll be a bummer because it would be awesome to see him already but we should trust Elias and Hyde. They’ve earned that respect.

3 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Definitely shoring up some AAA depth with guys they know they have vs guys these need to get through waivers.

I wonder if Wong has an opt out.   If Wong stays at AAA, Norby goes to the outfield.

4 minutes ago, wildcard said:

I wonder if Wong has an opt out.   If Wong stays at AAA, Norby goes to the outfield.

It makes sense to me that they move Norby to the outfield at least 80% of the time. I'd be surprised if Wong got an opt out at this stage in his career coming off the year he just had.

Wong has been on some winning teams, so he at least adds that. Position depth really matters over 162. We don’t know if Maton and/or Nevin will clear waivers if we go that route.

Terehan and Wong recently played with the Brewers. Our FO has ties to Milwaukee via HOU. This could just be bringing in vets with a good reputation as depth pieces. 

Elias just working the milb FA and waiver wire. So far this offseason he’s only “lost” Burdick, Soto, and Khreibel, off of waivers. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles Hangout:  WE NEED DEPTH

Elias:  *signs Teheran and Wong to minor league deals*

Orioles Hangout: NO NOT THAT DEPTH!!!!!

You know better than to use the term "Orioles Hangout" as if it's the entire board saying that. I've sees a few people who have questioned these moves. Most of us see it exactly as what it is, cheap depth moves.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

You know better than to use the term "Orioles Hangout" as if it's the entire board saying that. I've sees a few people who have questioned these moves. Most of us see it exactly as what it is, cheap depth moves.

That's true, correct.  But I also don't remember the exact individuals to call out.

These depth moves are also a reason why you don’t keep a Joey Ortiz as a reserve infielder, and instead trade him to a team that wants to start him to maximize his value. We’ve been able to backfill our IF depth post-Ortiz trade with Maton, Nevin, Castillo, and Wong. It also opens up the door to move on from Urias and/or Mateo before OD. That would free up almost $5 million in payroll. 

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Orioles Hangout:  WE NEED DEPTH

Elias:  *signs Teheran and Wong to minor league deals*

Orioles Hangout: NO NOT THAT DEPTH!!!!!

I don't recall anyone saying we need infield depth and I only saw one truly negative post on Teheran.