Spring Training Lineups

DirtyBird

17 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

That is very disappointing.

I know we are all excited for the unproven prospects/young players to get their chance to develop, but Urias is a gold glover for good reason. 

While I agree with the idea of trading from abundance for an area of need, I am not going to bemoan Urias starting. He's a very good defensive 3rd basemen who has helped the Orioles in their success over the last couple seasons. He also was the key player in beating the Astros in Houston a couple times.

• Confused 1

On 3/19/2024 at 11:10 AM, DirtyBird said:

Defensive position breakdown for starts so far:

C
Adley - 11
McCann - 9

1B
Nevin - 9 
O'Hearn, Mountcastle - 7
Mayo - 2
Santander - 1

2B
Holliday - 9
Wong - 6
Mateo - 3
Norby, Westburg, Urias - 2

3B
Urias - 10
Westburg - 7
Mayo - 5

SS
Mateo, Henderson - 7
Holliday - 5
Westburg - 4

LF
Hays - 8
Kjerstad - 5
Stowers - 4
Cowser - 3
Nevin, O'Hearn - 2

CF
Cowser, McKenna, Mullins - 7
Hays, Mateo - 2

RF
Santander - 7
Kjerstad - 6
Stowers - 5
Cowser, McKenna, O'Hearn - 2
Mateo, Nevin - 1

Tremendous work.  I’d give you more than one rep point for this if I could.  

Westburg has gotten more work at SS this spring than I would have expected.  I’ve seen two of his four starts there (one in person, one on TV) and he looked very solid in those games.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Westburg has gotten more work at SS this spring than I would have expected.  I’ve seen two of his four starts there (one in person, one on TV) and he looked very solid in those games.  

Agreed.  

Me if the IF is Holliday, Gunnar, Mayo, and Westburg as the Zobrilla super-sub!

FNYRuMPXwAI5lRm.png

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I'm a little surprised we haven't seen him in the outfield at all. Seems like he has all the tools to play there and would further make the McKenna spot unnecessary.

I confess I was more excited about yesterday's lineup of prospects...

Holliday, Rutschman, Westburg, Cowser, Nevin, Stowers, Mayo, Kjerstad, Norby

than today's lineup of 2023 starters...

Mullins, Rutschman, Henderson, Santander, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Urias, Mateo, McKenna

As it happened, both squads scored 13 runs against pennant contenders (Tor, Phl). 

But it's kind of amazing that the vets have lost luster in my eyes simply because I've become enamored with the new shiny things. It was a good eye-opener to see Santander, O'Hearn and Mateo all rake like the "grown men" (i.e., big leaguers) that they are. These are not slouches, having won 101 games last year, yet I still tend to perceive them as replaceable, still not quite believing. Maybe its just the hype of the next wave that is so infectious. Almost worried the vets will resent all the focus on the younger players; or maybe motivate them more? It's refreshing to hear Ben McDonald kind of treat it all as good healthy competition, everyone pulling together. 

BTW, the team is now 20-5 in Grapefruit action. That must be best ever for Oriole spring training records, no? Or maybe any team?

Edited by now

7 hours ago, now said:

I confess I was more excited about yesterday's lineup of prospects...

Holliday, Rutschman, Westburg, Cowser, Nevin, Stowers, Mayo, Kjerstad, Norby

than today's lineup of 2023 starters...

Mullins, Rutschman, Henderson, Santander, Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Urias, Mateo, McKenna

As it happened, both squads scored 13 runs against pennant contenders (Tor, Phl). 

One lineup put up 7 in the first 2 innings vs the starter.

The other racked up most of their runs against the back to the bullpen.