Kimbrel Spring Training

2 appearance now, 22.50 ERA. Is this something to worry about? I know it's just spring training, "the ball looks good coming out of his hand" etc. But we've seen this before (Ubaldo 2014 comes to mind). Any reports on velo, etc? Hopefully Elias did not just flush $13M down the toilet. 

He's been doo doo, but it's really more about confirming that he's not all that great to begin with. He'll be better than this, certainly, if healthy. But we should be keeping our expectations kind of low considering he's 36. 

I supported the signing in general because we need SOMEbody. But this is exactly why 90% of us have been saying they need to find another bullpen arm, and another starter. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

He's been doo doo, but it's really more about confirming that he's not all that great to begin with. He'll be better than this, certainly, if healthy. But we should be keeping our expectations kind of low considering he's 36. 

I supported the signing in general because we need SOMEbody. But this is exactly why 90% of us have been saying they need to find another bullpen arm, and another starter. 

No, this isn’t exactly why we are advocating adding pitching.

And this isn’t confirming anything.

Nothing dumber in pro sports than people overreacting to SSS in games that don’t count.

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Nothing dumber in pro sports than people overreacting to SSS in games that don’t count.

Lol, I wish I had your confidence! 

7 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I literally said he'll be better than this. 

But our 1-run record is going to take a serious hit because he will give up home runs. Hopefully we make up for it in other ways. 

Edited by interloper

7 minutes ago, interloper said:

I literally said he'll be better than this. 

But our 1-run record is going to take a serious hit because he will give up home runs. Hopefully we make up for it in other ways. 

If you are relying on winning 1 run games, you shouldn’t be talked about as one of the best teams. 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

If you are relying on winning 1 run games, you shouldn’t be talked about as one of the best teams. 

All teams will have their share of 1-run wins. Not saying we're relying on it. Just that we'll have less of them than last year. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

All teams will have their share of 1-run wins. Not saying we're relying on it. Just that we'll have less of them than last year. 

Do you think Kimbrel will be worse than you expected based on two ST games?

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Do you think Kimbrel will be worse than you expected based on two ST games?

I guess not? I get that it means nothing. Let me wallow in my spring training misery damnit!!! I'm allowed to understand that it's not logical to pay attention to these games and still feel crappy when guys perform poorly in said games. 

Honestly, I'm more annoyed with Kremer's mid-ass outing and just worrying about him being a #3. If any other SPs go down, we are in serious trouble. 

I think if Elias just rolls with this current group of pitchers, it will be a bit of a failure in my eyes. We need more, period. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

2 appearance now, 22.50 ERA. Is this something to worry about? I know it's just spring training, "the ball looks good coming out of his hand" etc. But we've seen this before (Ubaldo 2014 comes to mind). Any reports on velo, etc? Hopefully Elias did not just flush $13M down the toilet. 

It's not just spring training, it's early in spring training. Somebody named Errol Robinson is still showing up regularly in these games. I'll be concerned if we get to Earth Day and he still can't get anyone out.

Besides, they were 9-1 going into today, so they obviously don't need him anyway.

Can we just make one big 'Chicken Little' thread, so that all the whinging whenever a player is taken out of the game, or a pitcher gives up a couple runs, can be contained in one place for the rest of the spring? 

Ced felt his hamstring pull - he's injury prone!

Kimbrel had a bad outing - he's a bust and we can't win one-run games now!

Yeesh.