What if Holliday is sent down?

Sports Guy

Holliday sent down  

113 members have voted

1. 1. What will your reaction be if the Os send Holliday to AAA to start the year?

• Like it. Gives the team the potential to get the extra year of service time and allows him to work on defense and hitting vs lefties in a lower pressure environment
    • Hate it. He’s one of the best players, so he should be out there
    • Don’t really care either way. Happy with either decision

Not worried about body language, attitude etc.   if he’s the best infield option when camp is over, he should make the team.  But we’ll see how obvious the answer to this question will be.   

I think he makes the team.  I don’t think it is clear that he has shown he belongs in the majors, yesterday notwithstanding, but I don’t think he has played himself off of the team and I think that is what it would take to send him down. 

Just now, Frobby said:

Not worried about body language, attitude etc.   if he’s the best infield option when camp is over, he should make the team.  But we’ll see how obvious the answer to this question will be.   

Part of showing you belong at that age is that stuff though.

Moose, correctly, was asking when do ST stats count and when do they not count. He’s right. This is more about getting some hits in a SSS. How is acting? Does he look overwhelmed? Does he have a sense of entitlement and a bad attitude? Need maturity?  All of that matters. 

Now, maybe you aren’t worried about that because you feel all of those things are good for him (I happen to feel that way) but they are definitely factors in this decision.

I picked option 3.   I think his ability to hit lefties MAY play some sort of role in their decision making, but I'm not sure it's that big of a deal.  You have versatile guys in Urias, Westburg, and Gunnar that can start against lefties.   Heck, if Mateo somehow sticks around as an IF/OF, you have even more depth.

I trust the management of this team to make the right decisions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Part of showing you belong at that age is that stuff though.

Moose, correctly, was asking when do ST stats count and when do they not count. He’s right. This is more about getting some hits in a SSS. How is acting? Does he look overwhelmed? Does he have a sense of entitlement and a bad attitude? Need maturity?  All of that matters. 

Now, maybe you aren’t worried about that because you feel all of those things are good for him (I happen to feel that way) but they are definitely factors in this decision.

And this is why I think he makes the team as long as he doesn’t  play himself off the team. But Frobby, I think is saying the same thing. If they feel he is the best option he stays. 

The OP poses the question almost as if he might be sent down to game his starting time. I don’t think that will be the case. If he is sent down, it will be because they think he isn’t the best option.  

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

And this is why I think he makes the team as long as he doesn’t  play himself off the team. But Frobby, I think is saying the same thing. If they feel he is the best option he stays. 

The OP poses the question almost as if he might be sent down to game his starting time. I don’t think that will be the case. If he is sent down, it will be because they think he isn’t the best option.  

If they send him down, there is zero chance they feel Urias is better than Holliday right now. (I’m assuming Mayo won’t be the option they go with either)

If he is sent down, it will be 100% because of service time…and that isn’t something that bothers me.

• Upvote 1

IMO it was a forgone conclusion that Holliday would spend at least a couple of months in AAA to start the year regardless of what Elias said publicly.  Same for Mayo.  The purpose of spring training is to reveal the few remaining rough edges that need to be smoothed out.  Injuries elsewhere could accelerate the timetable, of course.

• Upvote 1

Assuming there are no issues with his performance and they send him down anyway, I hate it. It's different if he looks a little overmatched, or needs more time to learn 2B.

We're trying to contend, so we need the best players out there. If that's Holliday, then that's Holliday. He's also got to be on the short list for ROY as things are.

If he struggles, we can send him down and get the extra year of service time.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

If they send him down, there is zero chance they feel Urias is better than Holliday right now. (I’m assuming Mayo won’t be the option they go with either)

If he is sent down, it will be 100% because of service time…and that isn’t something that bothers me.

1). I already said I think he makes the team. 
2).  Keeping folks doesn’t mean player 1 is better than player 2. You know that. McKenna isn’t better than Kjerstad but he might make the team while Kjerstad goes to Norfolk. 
3.  There are many moving pieces right now that are hard to know.  And Elias is pretty good at keeping his cards close. 

As you said, at the end of the day if he is sent down, whatever the stated or unstated reason…it won’t bother me. 

I selected don't care either way.  I think I care more about who makes the team and gets playing time if Holliday doesn't make the team.  I don't want Wong to be this years Frazier.  If Holliday isn't ready I want to see Norby given a shot. He put in his time at AAA last year and all he did was hit the ball.  Lets see what he can do while we can.

5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

1). I already said I think he makes the team. 
2).  Keeping folks doesn’t mean player 1 is better than player 2. You know that. McKenna isn’t better than Kjerstad but he might make the team while Kjerstad goes to Norfolk. 
3.  There are many moving pieces right now that are hard to know.  And Elias is pretty good at keeping his cards close. 

As you said, at the end of the day if he is sent down, whatever the stated or unstated reason…it won’t bother me. 

As it pertains to #2..you said that if they don’t keep him, it’s because they don’t think he’s the best option and that service time won’t have anything to do with it.

So you are saying that if they don’t keep him, it’s because they feel Urias is the better guy for now.

Thats 100% not true. Zero chance they believe that. If he isn’t on the roster on OD, it’s for one reason and only reason only (assuming he doesn’t get hurt) and that’s service time.