Jonathon Mayo comments on Os young players

Sports Guy

11 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stowers is the direct replacement for either Hays or Santa next year.  Why give that away?

Because next year you have Cowser and Kjerstad still ahead of him for the corner outfield spots.

24 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Stowers is the direct replacement for either Hays or Santa next year.  Why give that away?

Who said anything about "giving that away"?  I said trade.  Ideally we'd get something back that we could use, like in our bullpen.  I don't think he's enough to get us something good back on his own, but he's also a good piece to a trade.

And like @Bemorewinssaid, we've still got Cowser and Kjerstad.  I'm assuming Mullins is still the CF next year, but in 2026 I hope EBJ is knocking on that door.

We've got more talent than spots that need filling, some of these guys are going to be needed to be traded.  And I get that everyone has their favorites around here and while I don't have a favorite amongst the Cowser/Kjerstad/Stowers triumvirate, I think Stowers, just based on the fact that he's a few years older than the others, should be the one to be traded.  He hits three homers yesterday and now we're rushing to find a spot for him?  Please.

That also leaves a guy like Norby, who's going to do the handwringing about him?  Doesn't Norby deserve a spot?  What about Beavers?  What about Fabian?  Who's going to stress and fret about these guys coming up and where are they going to play when we've got guys established in the outfield?  

I don't think the future of the Orioles revolves around Stowers.  I can see a place where he's a part of the future, sure.  I can also see a place where he's in someone else's outfield and doing just fine for himself while the Orioles are winning a lot of games without him, too.

Edited by Moose Milligan

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Hayes and Mullins are still under team control next year.  Unless the O's trade them, they will still be in the outfield mix.  I would like to see an outfield rotation of Cowser, Stowers, Kjerstad, and Bradfield in 2026 or possibly some time in 2025.  But I can't see that happening if the orioles retain the current vets.  I think that Cowser has an edge on Stowers.  Therefore, I think the O's won't hang on to Stowers for another 2 years.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Because next year you have Cowser and Kjerstad still ahead of him for the corner outfield spots.

Let’s assume the bench now is O’Hearn, Urias, Mateo and McCann with Cowser starting (O’Hearn will be the Opening Day “starter” and play a fair bit, especially initially, but Cowser eventually earns that role).

Next year, Kjerstad replaces Santander and Stowers replaces O’Hearn.

At some point Urias is traded and Mayo replaces him on the roster - but Mayo’s going to need to also get ABs from the 1B/DH/corner OF group.

Maybe Norby eventually replaces Mateo, Basallo replaces McCann - but Basallo is also going to get a lot of 1B/DH ABs.

So Stowers could certainly get a clear roster spot as soon as next year, but there’s not going to be many ABs to go around for him.

I still think Stowers and Norby are trade bait but they have value as depth pieces while they have options and they could get bench roles in the next couple years, so there’s no need to force a trade unless a good opportunity it there.

5 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

And Dylan Beavers approaching his ETA

I don’t think Beavers has proven yet that he’s likely to be as good or better than Stowers.   I think his odds of being as good or better are under 50/50.  

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

I don’t think Beavers has proven yet that he’s likely to be as good or better than Stowers.   I think his odds of being as good or better are under 50/50.  

Beavers was in AA at 21 years old and OPS's .894 over 156 PA'a

Stowers was at Stanford at 21 year old, with a lower OPS

6 minutes ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

Let’s assume the bench now is O’Hearn, Urias, Mateo and McCann with Cowser starting (O’Hearn will be the Opening Day “starter” and play a fair bit, especially initially, but Cowser eventually earns that role).

Next year, Kjerstad replaces Santander and Stowers replaces O’Hearn.

At some point Urias is traded and Mayo replaces him on the roster - but Mayo’s going to need to also get ABs from the 1B/DH/corner OF group.

Maybe Norby eventually replaces Mateo, Basallo replaces McCann - but Basallo is also going to get a lot of 1B/DH ABs.

So Stowers could certainly get a clear roster spot as soon as next year, but there’s not going to be many ABs to go around for him.

I still think Stowers and Norby are trade bait but they have value as depth pieces while they have options and they could get bench roles in the next couple years, so there’s no need to force a trade unless a good opportunity it there.

For as deep as our position player pool of talent goes throughout our org, it is equally as thin with top level/promising pitching talent. At some point, the scales have to be balanced in order to produce a complete championship level picture IMO.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

For as deep as our position player pool of talent goes throughout our org, it is equally as thin with top level/promising pitching talent. At some point, the scales have to be balanced in order to produce a complete championship level picture IMO.

Definitely. We’ve already seen that with the Burnes trade, so Elias knows that too. But trading for controllable pitching is always extremely expensive, if it is even ever available. 

It’s possible Kjerstad could be the one used in a trade and Stowers is given that opportunity instead. They should be open to trading either for appropriate value. I don’t think it will be Cowser just for the defense, given LF at OPACY and Hays/Mullins with only two years of control remaining, and it’s hard to bank on any trade coming together.