Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Funny but you are disregarding 99% of my post. It's the stacking of all the things, not this one single thing. 

I'm trying to be empathetic to the situation not criticize anything about him.

Well the other 99% of the post wasn’t worth regarding. 

I’m not criticizing him either, mind you.  I just think we’re making mountains out of molehills because he hasn’t hit yet and has looked a bit overmatched. 

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

It might not be the wisest decision but it is a mature decision. 

I guess we will have to agree to disagree.  It could be the incredibly immature decision to nit understand he maybe has no idea what he will want 5 years from now and could well be a completely different person.  Then again, maybe he knows he has a wife that will tolerate whatever he does.  There definitely are many of these types of wives in sports. 

23 minutes ago, Malike said:

We need to keep him on the team and he needs to play regularly, in my opinion. He has nothing left to prove in AAA with the bat. The glove? Perhaps. 

I wouldn’t send him back down unless he struggled mightily for a couple of months and was killing the teams opportunity to contend.  Should be a last resort though 

29 minutes ago, Malike said:

Yeah I think he was 92 or so in his last game and command isn't good. He'll likely go 6 innings with 9k's tomorrow, now lol.

He is just morphing to the form of pitcher that he knows the Orioles can’t hit—a soft tossing lefty. 

Edited by baltfan
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Yes, he said those things as well.

He also said he thought he was pressing and that he’d like to see him get his first hit out of the way so he can “take a deep breath” and relax. 

Once the first hit comes, it really will take so much pressure off of him.

I'm not worried about Jackson whatsoever, and it's not surprising whatsoever that he's started off scuffling. The adjustment from AAA to MLB for the first time is massive. Very few hitters come out of the gates hot. And the ones that do, many of them get humbled not long afterwards. Just last year, Casey Schmitt of the Giants comes to mind. He hit a home run in his first game (maybe even first at bat, can't quite remember), and was on fire his first couple weeks. Then he went ice cold, was demoted back to the minors, and still hasn't made it back to the majors.

It's just frustrating that Hyde would put more pressure on Holliday by hitting the most ice cold player on the team in front of him. Hyde consistently writes bad lineups. I've always called him out for it for years, and he still does it. But hopefully as the rest of the stud prospects like Kjerstad and Mayo come up, Hyde will have less decisions with the lineup to make outside of occasionally resting guys since most/all of the lineup won't need to be platooned. Hyde will also make less mistakes since inferior players like Frazier, McKenna, Mateo, Urias, Hays and O'Hearn will be benched or completely off the roster (obviously Frazier and McKenna are already gone, but they are examples of players that Hyde favored too much).

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well the other 99% of the post wasn’t worth regarding. 

I’m not criticizing him either, mind you.  I just think we’re making mountains out of molehills because he hasn’t hit yet and has looked a bit overmatched. 

I was just noting the weird amount of factors he's dealing with. Like when Gunnar came up it felt way less ridiculous and contrived than this. The media has gone a little weirdly overboard on the #7 thing IMO. And Matt Holliday being the celebrity he is, it's just different. 

Anyway, whatever. He's gonna be fine and it won't hurt if the media frenzy dies down a little. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I was just noting the weird amount of factors he's dealing with. Like when Gunnar came up it felt way less ridiculous and contrived than this. The media has gone a little weirdly overboard on the #7 thing IMO. And Matt Holliday being the celebrity he is, it's just different. 

Anyway, whatever. He's gonna be fine and it won't hurt if the media frenzy dies down a little. 

I don’t want to make it look like I’m picking on you. But I find it odd that his celebrity dad would be cause for some added pressure or something. 

1 minute ago, interloper said:

Agree it’s kinda weird.  He is a great prospect, but honestly I don’t see the upside of a Machado or Harper for example.  

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

I don’t want to make it look like I’m picking on you. But I find it odd that his celebrity dad would be cause for some added pressure or something. 

In the poster’s defense, most family usually aren’t in the front row.  I could see that being a bit distracting. 

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Because the expectations and the pressure to do what your dad did so well. He's not just, like, Adley's normal dad. He's a guy who did it better than any player featured on the field that night , and he's YOUR dad, and he's been waiting for you to get a hit for 3 games. 

And when you add in the media frenzy and them reminding you hey you know two legends wore this number... It just seems like a lot. 

And maybe it doesn't matter a LICK to him. Who knows. 

17 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Agree it’s kinda weird.  He is a great prospect, but honestly I don’t see the upside of a Machado or Harper for example.  

Hahaha....yea I don't understand why we would pick a 1/1 if they didn't at least have the upside of Machado or Harper....SMH

26 minutes ago, baltfan said:

To be fair there hasn't been to many prospect in history to have the upside as Machado or Harper.... seems unfair to judge Jackson against the top 1%

44 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Once the first hit comes, it really will take so much pressure off of him.

I'm not worried about Jackson whatsoever, and it's not surprising whatsoever that he's started off scuffling. The adjustment from AAA to MLB for the first time is massive. Very few hitters come out of the gates hot. And the ones that do, many of them get humbled not long afterwards. Just last year, Casey Schmitt of the Giants comes to mind. He hit a home run in his first game (maybe even first at bat, can't quite remember), and was on fire his first couple weeks. Then he went ice cold, was demoted back to the minors, and still hasn't made it back to the majors.

It's just frustrating that Hyde would put more pressure on Holliday by hitting the most ice cold player on the team in front of him. Hyde consistently writes bad lineups. I've always called him out for it for years, and he still does it. But hopefully as the rest of the stud prospects like Kjerstad and Mayo come up, Hyde will have less decisions with the lineup to make outside of occasionally resting guys since most/all of the lineup won't need to be platooned. Hyde will also make less mistakes since inferior players like Frazier, McKenna, Mateo, Urias, Hays and O'Hearn will be benched or completely off the roster (obviously Frazier and McKenna are already gone, but they are examples of players that Hyde favored too much).

You lost me with the bit about the lineups and putting pressure on Holliday.   He’s batting 9th.   That’s the least pressure spot in the lineup.   He struggled with Westburg in front of him and now with Hays.   Let’s not go out of our way to find silly excuses for the kid.  

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Probably because he’s not physically imposing.   He’s never going to be as big and strong as most of his teammates but he might become better.