Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

22 minutes ago, banks703 said:

We had that data on his arm. He’s played 21 games. Let’s see where the averages are after 80, 162, etc. 

Betts is a RF who out of necessity was playing infield. Altuve has never been regarded for his defense. Bogaerts got moved off of SS to 2B because he’s a terrible defender. Albies is also a poor defender. This board loves attempting to justify things with small sample size while ignoring the other side of it  

Do you think his arm speed will get slower?  

14 hours ago, Gurgi said:

His little power display is impressive.  This kid might be a 30 home run guy.  Imagine having Gunnar and Jackson each launching 30 bombs a year for the next four years?  That's a good up the middle.  It's going to be hard to be bad with that kind of power. 

I wonder if Gunnar will get to 30 homers this year. 

2 hours ago, EdwinRip said:

Do you think his arm speed will get slower?  

His max velocity is not likely to decrease if that’s what you are asking but I do think his average velo will tick down some.

Look, I’m not as concerned about the arm at 2nd and will have almost zero concern about it if he ends up in the outfield. I’m simply pointing out things that some folks are making excuses about. The truth is, his defense is not even average right now and I worry more about the other issues that I’ve noted. The throw from Adley to second yesterday, he should have caught that ball or at least kept it from going into center. It was not that bad of a throw but it allowed runners to advance and eventually score. Folks will blame Adley for the throw but JH should have kept it in the infield, if not catching outright. It’s those types of things that I am more worried about with him and not so much the arm at 2B. 

Edited by banks703

2 hours ago, banks703 said:

We had that data on his arm. He’s played 21 games. Let’s see where the averages are after 80, 162, etc. 

Betts is a RF who out of necessity was playing infield. Altuve has never been regarded for his defense. Bogaerts got moved off of SS to 2B because he’s a terrible defender. Albies is also a poor defender. This board loves attempting to justify things with small sample size while ignoring the other side of it  

Dodgers had Betts playing SS for a while d/t their regular SS' injury and were just so happy he could play SS.  I don't watch Dodgers games, but I bet there were some plays he didn't make due to his less than adequate arm.  I bet his footwork was better to.  I'm just saying a player's arm is not the end all/be all of an infield position.  I don't see Holliday ever  playing SS for the O's, but if his fundamentals and footwork were sound, he could probably do an adequate job.

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Dodgers had Betts playing SS for a while d/t their regular SS' injury and were just so happy he could play SS.  I don't watch Dodgers games, but I bet there were some plays he didn't make due to his less than adequate arm.  I bet his footwork was better to.  I'm just saying a player's arm is not the end all/be all of an infield position.  I don't see Holliday ever  playing SS for the O's, but if his fundamentals and footwork were sound, he could probably do an adequate job.

But his fundamentals are severely lacking. That’s why I’ve posted numerous times that the arm isn’t as much of a concern for me at 2B. It’s the other stuff that I don’t love. Again, I’m not doing anything but run him out to 2B every inning of every game unless he forces something and I don’t think that he will be so bad that happens. He will get better but i just don’t see him being a plus defender in the infield, especially not as a SS.

And also LOL to those comparing JH’s arm to Betts’s arm. Mookie has several outfield assists that were over 300 ft. throws and velocity in the upper 90’s. Mookie has a bazooka. JH does not. 

Edited by banks703

2 hours ago, andymax said:

Can we get at least 4-5 more pages of this discussion so we're 100% clear on where internet poster banks703 stands about JH's defensive potential? I'm willing to accept significantly more if it's necessary, this is important.

You can be snarky all you want, but banks was saying this over a year ago in the face of almost universal dismissal.

And guess what?

He was right; virtually the entire board was wrong; as well as virtually the entire scouting community.

There is simply no better place to find information about the Baltimore Orioles and this is great proof of that.

3 hours ago, Pickles said:

You can be snarky all you want, but banks was saying this over a year ago in the face of almost universal dismissal.

And guess what?

He was right; virtually the entire board was wrong; as well as virtually the entire scouting community.

There is simply no better place to find information about the Baltimore Orioles and this is great proof of that.

I don’t think anyone is “right” about JH yet, on either side.

3 hours ago, andymax said:

That's great, thank you sir I won't let you down.

You're already exceeding my expectations.

You're free to  ignore the substance of my post, but that doesn't negate it.

Banks' opinion/evaluation of Jackson Holliday's defensive potential has been a hell of a lot more accurate than basically anybody's- even people who are paid a lot of money to make those evaluations.

2 hours ago, survivedc said:

I don’t think anyone is “right” about JH yet, on either side.

I think it's fair to say that banks was right concerning Holliday's arm preventing him from ever being a "good" defensive SS.   And his evaluation was way more accurate and way earlier than the general scouting community's.