Jackson Holliday 2024

btdart20

On 8/29/2024 at 7:34 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

Still better than Mayo and he has an actual defensive position.

Yeah, I don’t recall any “unacceptable” comments regarding Mayo’s 1-17 with 10K’s and shaky defense.  

Holliday’s defense looks to be improving and he’s certainly had some big hits.    He’s a work in progress but you can see a nice payoff at the end of the tunnel.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

Holiday’s a mixed bag right now.  He’s made a few outstanding defensive plays on this road trip, and some really poor ones.  More bad at bats than good ones right now, but you can see the zing in his bat when he hits the sweet spot.  I’m just telling myself, “growing pains.”   You can see the talent but he needs experience and the only way to get it is to suffer the ups and downs.   The end product should be worth it.  

Honestly, I feel the same way about Cowser.   The overall numbers are solid but he hasn’t figured out an approach for RISP situations, especially in critical moments.   But he will.  

I’m sure @Roy Firestoneis thinking, “Bur what about Mayo?  Shouldn’t he be getting his chance to go through this?”   Well, there’s only so much of this a team can do at one time.  He’ll get his chance but for the most part it won’t be until next year, even if he’s called up in September.  

Mayo might have gone 1st to home on Urias' double last night, if he had Eloy's DH gig.

Holliday speed - I was happily surprised how easily he was safe at 1st when he hit what looked to me at first like a pretty sure double play ball.     Speed is a young man's skill, and it is encouraging seeing him get his legs under him a little bit on the bases.    Every 90 feet or out that you can or can't get is magnified in closer lower scoring games in October.

The game ended up fine, but Holliday couldn't corral a scorcher to him Suarez yielded leading off an inning earlier in the game.   At that moment it felt like a big play and I think it was the inning Al ended up singled against a bunch.

It is exciting to see the flashes though.     Hopefully we'll keep seeing weekly growth towards the Adley and Gunnar tier he's envisioned at.

I kind of laughed when he left Gunnar a spectator to turn the 4-3 double play himself.     What's good for the goose is good for the gander was how my momma put it.

6 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

I kind of laughed when he left Gunnar a spectator to turn the 4-3 double play himself.     What's good for the goose is good for the gander was how my momma put it.

I didn't laugh, rather groaned to see the younger'un picking up that bad habit so quickly, of doing everything yourself on the run, rather than steady synchronized teamwork. Oh well, growing pains all around.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, now said:

I didn't laugh, rather groaned to see the younger'un picking up that bad habit so quickly, of doing everything yourself on the run, rather than steady synchronized teamwork. Oh well, growing pains all around.

For sure, laughed in an entertained way, rather than an admiring fundamentals way.    That probably wasn't how Cal, Sr. taught Junior and Billy.

Certainly for the long term potential of this roster, Gunnar and Holliday meshing as a double play combo (or not) will be significant.

Maybe Cal can guest coach for a minute in Sarasota next February.

Fangraphs has Holliday into positive FWAR at .1.   Progress.   At 2B his DRS is -1 and OAA is +2 which signifies “average”.     So, is he settling in?    Can anyone see an average fielding 2B or, dare I say, envision a plus defensive 2B in the future?

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Fangraphs has Holliday into positive FWAR at .1.   Progress.   At 2B his DRS is -1 and OAA is +2 which signifies “average”.     So, is he settling in?    Can anyone see an average fielding 2B or, dare I say, envision a plus defensive 2B in the future?

I don't get to see many games, but from what I've seen, he looks like he could develop into a very good 2B.

30 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

I don't get to see many games, but from what I've seen, he looks like he could develop into a very good 2B.

His arm looks stronger to me lately too.  Maybe he's just doing a better job getting his feet under him, but I remember being pretty underwhelmed seeing his throws earlier in the year from behind 2B and when he first came back up.  

I too think that it's possible that a 20 year old kid has not peaked defensively (or offensively for that matter)  after his first 40 games.

I would be pretty interested to hear someone make the counter argument.

Edited by Aglets
  • Upvote 1

On 8/31/2024 at 10:32 AM, Frobby said:

Holiday’s a mixed bag right now.  He’s made a few outstanding defensive plays on this road trip, and some really poor ones.  More bad at bats than good ones right now, but you can see the zing in his bat when he hits the sweet spot.  I’m just telling myself, “growing pains.”   You can see the talent but he needs experience and the only way to get it is to suffer the ups and downs.   The end product should be worth it.  

Honestly, I feel the same way about Cowser.   The overall numbers are solid but he hasn’t figured out an approach for RISP situations, especially in critical moments.   But he will.  

I’m sure @Roy Firestoneis thinking, “Bur what about Mayo?  Shouldn’t he be getting his chance to go through this?”   Well, there’s only so much of this a team can do at one time.  He’ll get his chance but for the most part it won’t be until next year, even if he’s called up in September.  

I agree that Holliday and Mayo are going through their rookie adjustment periods (RAP).  And too many players struggle in the lineup are not good for the offense.

I think Cowser is passed that.  

But Kjerstad is still in his RAP.

On 9/3/2024 at 9:59 AM, Aglets said:

I too think that it's possible that a 20 year old kid has not peaked defensively (or offensively for that matter)  after his first 40 games.

I would be pretty interested to hear someone make the counter argument.

Only One Oriole got the ban-hammer upside his head 🤣