Cole Irvin 2024

Just Regular

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

No.  Not happy and it wasn’t stupid.  It’s debatable.  Also, how do you know Akin didn’t stiffen up a little.  I don’t recall the inning but he was flexing his back or side one inning and I was concerned he had hurt himself.

It’s stupid to call it stupid.  Happy?

Nope, it was a stupid move when he made it and it's still a stupid move today. Not sure what Akin has to do with it, I never even mentioned him. But if he's hurting then that makes the move even stupider.

44 minutes ago, dystopia said:

The reaction in the game thread wasn't just one of anger -- there was complete disbelief that Irvin was being taken out of the game.

But sure, I guess you're just smarter than the rest of us. 

Now now, ad hominem is not a winning debate strategy.

5 minutes ago, Philip said:

He was definitely 5th in my mind, but as I mentioned in a spring training thread, the fifth starter worried me far less than the 6 7 and 8 starter. And we saw about one day later how valid that worry was, when Means and Bradish were announced as under the weather.

The question now is whether this is a springtime flower that fades with the summer heat, or a stalwart that weathers every storm until the leaves finally fall in the closing days of Autumn .

And, like Love, that wends its way through the fickle days of fate, we can only hope and pray and accept what comes.

Yea, the Lord giveth and the Lord…wait.. am I a bit going overboard on this?

I see that you were a big supporter of Irvin in late April.  😄

Just now, Philip said:

Now now, ad hominem is not a winning debate strategy.

You're right, I should have refrained from adding the last part. I was unfairly hostile with him. I apologize for that, interloper.

I just have a pet peeve about the manager making a bad move -- and EVERYONE knowing it's bad at the time -- and then doing a complete about-face the next day after it doesn't result in losing the game.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, dystopia said:

You're right, I should have refrained from adding the last part. I was unfairly hostile with him. I apologize for that, interloper.

I just have a pet peeve about the manager making a bad move -- and EVERYONE knowing it's bad at the time -- and then doing a complete about-face the next day after it doesn't result in losing the game.

How many people did an about face?   Can you find one?   For your sake, I hope it’s not more than two but I suspect it’s ZERO.

11 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Nope, it was a stupid move when he made it and it's still a stupid move today. Not sure what Akin has to do with it, I never even mentioned him. But if he's hurting then that makes the move even stupider.

Haha.  I obviously meant Irvin, not Akin, but I really believe that you didn’t know that.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Haha.  I obviously meant Irvin, not Akin, but I really believe that you didn’t know that.

Not my fault you don't know one player from another. I made a point about it making sense if Irvin was injured earlier, but your post so far is the only thing suggesting that that was a factor.

The postgame show had the detail starting the 7th inning Irvin made a pretend gate closed gesture to Hyde going out there.    With the gaggle after the game Irvin said he had plenty more in the tank, which is what starting pitchers mostly say.

Baseball these days is Blake Snell being hooked after twice through the order even while being the best version of himself in the biggest game of his life.    Cole Irvin isn't forecast to gather outs as efficiently.   

Irvin's teammates can help him to that shutout he craves if they can make the score more like 8-0 than 3-0 by the 7th inning - in that scenario I believe Irvin may have gotten the opportunity to throw 12 * 9 pitches last night.

Hot take - Sigbot isn't worried about burning out even Danny Coulombe as it is iffy on him as a tournament pitcher.    Ideally we aren't in a 3-game series, and Game 5 of a 5-game series if it comes to it will be handled by top of the rotation guys.     Dean Kremer's path to starting Game 1 of an ALCS is two out of Burnes-Grayson-Bradish having to cover a game together.

Just now, dystopia said:

Not my fault you don't know one player from another. I made a point about it making sense if Irvin was injured earlier, but your post so far is the only thing suggesting that that was a factor.

Reposting your posts doesn’t make them any better.  It’s painful.  Please stop!

2 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

The postgame show had the detail starting the 7th inning Irvin made a pretend gate closed gesture to Hyde going out there.    With the gaggle after the game Irvin said he had plenty more in the tank, which is what starting pitchers mostly say.

Baseball these days is Blake Snell being hooked after twice through the order even while being the best version of himself in the biggest game of his life.    Cole Irvin isn't forecast to gather outs as efficiently.   

Irvin's teammates can help him to that shutout he craves if they can make the score more like 8-0 than 3-0 by the 7th inning - in that scenario I believe Irvin may have gotten the opportunity to throw 12 * 9 pitches last night.

Hot take - Sigbot isn't worried about burning out even Danny Coulombe as it is iffy on him as a tournament pitcher.    Ideally we aren't in a 3-game series, and Game 5 of a 5-game series if it comes to it will be handled by top of the rotation guys.     Dean Kremer's path to starting Game 1 of an ALCS is two out of Burnes-Grayson-Bradish having to cover a game together.

Hyde is totally going to pull a Kevin Cash in the playoffs and it's going to cost us. 

8 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Re: your first paragraph. Are you saying that Irvin himself signaled to Hyde that he was tired?