2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

With how well our pitching performed yesterday I would expect an early hook today. Royals are playing a double header today so I highly doubt they will have a rested bullpen. Webb and Akin can definitely go 2 innings if needed.

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

With how well our pitching performed yesterday I would expect an early hook today. Royals are playing a double header today so I highly doubt they will have a rested bullpen. Webb and Akin can definitely go 2 innings if needed.

Does KC play tomorrow?  Off day Thursday will help alot with resting bullpens.  

1 hour ago, Moshagge3 said:

What is the purpose of O'Hearn in RF and Santander at DH? Santander just had a day off and he has another one coming up. Doesn't Suarez profile as more of a fly ball guy? Why not support him with the better OF defense?

My guess is they just want O’Hearn to get reps in the OF once in a while so he isn’t too rusty when needed.   Certainly, it makes little sense otherwise.  

7 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Does KC play tomorrow?  Off day Thursday will help alot with resting bullpens.  

I don’t believe so. I was talking in terms of if we have to use 4-5 guys today and they do as well.

13 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It would be nice if they found a way to put high OBP players in front of Gunnar so he can bat with runners on base. His power is going to waste in the leadoff spot.

3 spot seems like an obvious spot to bat Gunnar.  I would like to see Mullins back at leadoff and eventually hopefully Jackson. 

Nice to see Cedric playing better.  When he gets hot he gets as hot as anyone.  I said it last week but imo he really needs to be moved to the leadoff spot so that Gunnar can get more RBI opps batting in the 3 or 5 spot.   He is probably the best hitter on the team and he is being wasted having to follow guys like Holliday and Hayes.

Speaking of Holliday.  As bad as he has looked I would give him another 10 days to figure things out.  If he is still shaky then send him down for a reset.

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

It would be nice if they found a way to put high OBP players in front of Gunnar so he can bat with runners on base. His power is going to waste in the leadoff spot.

Cowser & Westburg were 7 & 8 today, .435 & .381 OBP respectively.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Last year the "high OBP guys" were:

Rutschman .374

Mountcastle .328 (never would have guessed that!)

Urias .328

Hays .325

Santander .325

Gunnar .325

Which of these is the high OBP guy you would bat leadoff so as not to waste Gunnar's power? Based on this year (small sample) you could put Westburg or Cowser leadoff, but those guys are hitting homers too. I guess this is a problem you have when you have power one through nine up and down the lineup.

32 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I said it last week but imo he really needs to be moved to the leadoff spot so that Gunnar can get more RBI opps batting in the 3 or 5 spot.

Are you sure? You definitely did say:

I like Mullins However I don't think he has been particularly good the past 2 years and he probably is not part of the future. Can we agree on that? So if he hasn't been good. Isn't good now. And isn't part of the future. Why should he play over someone who at the very least can provide the same and who potentially can be here in the future?

Why would you advocate for someone who "isn't" and "hasn't been" good to bad lead off?

36 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Which of these is the high OBP guy you would bat leadoff so as not to waste Gunnar's power? Based on this year (small sample) you could put Westburg or Cowser leadoff, but those guys are hitting homers too.

I'm thinking it would be good to try moving Westburg to the top of the lineup for a bit and see how it goes. They need another right handed bat that is capable in the top 2 spots to balance out all the other top Lefties and I think Westburg's high average and good baserunning speed might fit the bill. 

Certainly can be an option for when Adley gets a real day off. And Mateo or Urias can round out the bottom of the order (7,8, or 9) when they play and the team wants right handers in the lineup.

Speaking of, McCann has been pleasantly surprisingly decent at the plate this season so far. I feel comfortable with him playing more to keep Adley fresh for the biggest games of the season (including the playoffs).

I might like the idea of Westburg leading off and Henderson #2. But then, I also haven't put much thought into it which is why I hope the analytics department will dive into it to see how they could get more baseruners on base in front of Gunnar's At Bat.

Like you guys pointed out, Westburg is hitting a nice amount of home runs too, so what's the point of of having him lead off if the whole idea is to load up the bases for power hitters like him and Gunnar to hit them home?