2024 Ongoing Lineup Thread

spleen1015

I’m not going to pick on Adley and make him out to be the problem with the offense. But his bat falling off a cliff is a big problem for the rest of the season. And I don’t think starting him in the 2 hole is the best decision going forward.

Yes, Tony goes through hitting spells, but he has regained form at times. We haven’t seen that with Adley. He was amazing, then abysmal, then merely mediocre and now is just bad again. 

There are other problems: O’Hearn has been bad, Holliday has been bad, Eloy has been bad, Cowser has been bad, the list can go on. Unless your name is Mullins or Gunnar, you’ve been hurting this team more than helping it offensively lately.

I don’t have an answer aside from this is who this club is offensively. An inconsistent, mediocre bunch. They’ll have an offensive outburst from time to time to help bolster the average R/G, but we are seeing too many long stretches barely scraping 2 runs together.

So, maybe you construct the lineup based on who is hitting lately and not get into this rut of just batting the guys where they’ve been batting. You can still play the platoon game, but Adley in the 2 hole and O’Hearn batting 3rd ain’t it.

Edited by LookitsPuck
  • Upvote 1

The Mountcastle injury hasn't felt like a huge deal since we have a similarly-performing O'Hearn to slot into the same position. 

But I think the lineup misses him. He is better than Eloy, Rivera, and the other guys his ABs are getting distributed to. And better defensively than O'Hearn.

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

1-2 is correct.

Mayo in. Holliday getting a day off is smart.

And moving Cowser down to 7th is smart too. I like this lineup and will be interested to see if it will spark some offense.

52 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The Mountcastle injury hasn't felt like a huge deal since we have a similarly-performing O'Hearn to slot into the same position. 

But I think the lineup misses him. He is better than Eloy, Rivera, and the other guys his ABs are getting distributed to. And better defensively than O'Hearn.

OHearn is playing too much though. His numbers since Aug 1 aren’t good.

Glad to see Mayo and Holliday in the same lineup.  I think its time to just leave those two at third and second, at the bottom of the order (8/9 w/ no McCann, 7/8 w/ him) and see what happens from here on out (or until Westburg or Urias comes back, if that even happens).  If we had better replacements, I'd be all for picking spots w/ them, but we absolutely do not have better replacements, at least not hitting wise.  So, roll them out there and hope for the best at this point.  At the very least its more interesting than watching Nick Maton hit.

• Upvote 1

Actually if you take McCann out of that lineup, and insert Kjerstad as the DH, I'd be pretty excited to watch that.  Let these guys take their lumps if need be - again, the alternative is even uglier anyway.

Henderson

Mullins

Santander

O'hearn

Kjerstad

Rutschman

Cowser

Mayo

Holliday

I could live with that.  And if Cowser/Rutsch start hitting again, swap either of them w/ Mullins.  There's absolutely no bench for pinch hitting, but you can't expect that really given how much depth we've gone through.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Glad to see Mayo and Holliday in the same lineup.  I think its time to just leave those two at third and second, at the bottom of the order (8/9 w/ no McCann, 7/8 w/ him) and see what happens from here on out (or until Westburg or Urias comes back, if that even happens).  If we had better replacements, I'd be all for picking spots w/ them, but we absolutely do not have better replacements, at least not hitting wise.  So, roll them out there and hope for the best at this point.  At the very least its more interesting than watching Nick Maton hit.

Agree 100%. At this point, if the ship is going to go down and they somehow completely crash and burn, do it with the guys that will help you next year and get them valuable experience. Losing w/ Eloy, Maton, Soto, and Rivera just stinks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1