Gunnar Henderson 2024

16 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When he only mentions Judge as an impediment to winning MVP it insinuates that Judge is the only real impediment to Gunnar winning an MVP.   I can't say that Cal didn't have a Bobby Witt to contend with but the son is a lot more valuable than the father.

So he should list all the candidates for MVP.  What a top 10 list maybe a top five. Nobody thinks Gunnar is even in the question for MVP. That’s why I said it’s obvious.

Just now, Spakman said:

So he should list all the candidates for MVP.  What a top 10 list maybe a top five. Nobody thinks Gunnar is even in the question for MVP. That’s why I said it’s obvious.

Naw, but maybe list the folks clearly in front of him this season that have signed long term deals with their current team.

Mentioning Judge and not mentioning Witt is an odd choice.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Naw, but maybe list the folks clearly in front of him this season that have signed long term deals with their current team.

Mentioning Judge and not mentioning Witt is an odd choice.

Well, judge is going to win MVP there’s no debate. Even if there is a slight debate for Witt to win, he’s not gonna win.

Just now, Spakman said:

Well, judge is going to win MVP there’s no debate. Even if there is a slight debate for Witt to win, he’s not gonna win.

Not sure what difference that makes?

Right now, in my mind at least, Gunnar has three main impediments to winning the AL MVP.

Judge, Witt and himself.

Maybe we'll show equal respect in upcoming games to both Judge and Witt by intentionally walking them nearly 100% of the time.

Some moments of Joe Maddon v. Bryce Harper rigor near for any club those guys happen to be competing with.

Heck, even Gunnar himself might draw some if none of the rest of the bats revive.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Not sure what difference that makes?

Right now, in my mind at least, Gunnar has three main impediments to winning the AL MVP.

Judge, Witt and himself.

Yep and by saying himself, I’d say his defense has been a major disappointment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• The tiebreakers are weird because we could get 2 wins vs Tigers/Twins and clinch the playoff spot but could also get 3 wins and not make the playoffs.  
    • Nope.  Too many years.  I agree with giving him the QO and letting him walk.  I might entertain a 2-3 year deal, but that's the most I'd go.
    • Yes I should have said by inter division we hold tie breaker on both if head to head.  3 way tie we would finish ahead of Tigers but behind Twins but still get in.   So the magic number is really 5 but with asterisk on that because it could be 4 with the right 2 wins vs Tigers or Twins.  
    • Whatever seems to be possibly ailing Adley, IMO looks like it only affects him when hitting.  He sprang up outta his crouch like a Jack-in-the-Box and hustled for that foul pop/bunt yesterday and did not look like he was suffering any ill effects. But what do I know?  🤔🤣  
    • Wouldn’t even consider it. I wouldn’t offer anything more than the QO
    • Adley and it’s not particularly close. I’m not writing off Adley because of a second half slump.
    • This season is far from over but that doesn't mean we can't walk and chew gum at the same time. This is going to be a very interesting offseason. The Os have a lot of spots likely secured for 2025 already and yet there is plenty of uncertainty as well. Barring a trade, these guys are definitely on the team next year: Adley, Gunnar, Holliday, Mayo*, Kjerstad, Westburg, Cowser, Urias, Eflin, GRod, Kremer, Felix, Perez, DC, Rogers and Cano.  That is 16 of your 26 man roster. The salaries for those 16 players will total around $46M, give or take. With those 16 players, you have your entire starting IF (including C), 2 OFers, 3 or 4 starting pitchers, 4 or 5 relievers (depending on Rogers) and your key bench guy. *Mayo potentially could start in the minors since he has looked  bad this year but its a SSS and I think they are committed to him and Im not sure going to the minors is going to be some major help for him.  But he will be on the active roster at some point next year. The Os also have the ability to keep (meaning they are under team control...salary estimates following player) Cedric Mullins (8.5M), Mountcastle (5.5M), OHearn (8M option), G Soto (6M), Dominguez (8M option...has 500K buyout), Mateo (3.2M), Akin (2.5M) and Webb (2.2M). For your 10 remaining roster spots, you need a back up C, 1 starting OFer, 5 pitchers and 3 other offensive players. Some of the relievers I listed will be brought back but others likely traded. Those are cheap contracts but the O's need to add another legit high leverage arm and someone(s) will be left off because of that. Either way, the team has plenty of money to add to this team given the low payroll of those definitely back.  Also, keep in mind Bradish will be on the payroll next year and I am assuming they will non tender Tyler Wells. Depending on his status, it is possible they bring him back but not sure I see the point. Having so many cheap players on the roster, many of whom will be cheap for a while, gives you so much flexibility. Also, it’s certainly possible that some of the players  I listed in the definite 16 will be traded, which will open up a spot or more.
  • Popular Contributors