Gunnar Henderson 2024

14 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Gunnar Henderson's splits through first 97 ABs of the season:

Home -- .326 / .385 / .630

Away -- .294 / .362 / .667

Vs. LH -- .324 / .395 / .622

Vs. RH -- .300 / .358 / .667

He’s had quite the turnaround vs. LHP on this road trip.  Hopefully it continues all year!

12 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

At this point Gunnar is the most valuable asset in baseball right? I guess you could argue Witt Jr or De La Cruz. I sure as heck wouldn’t trade him for anybody.

I don’t know how you are assessing value? Is it to express who is being paid the least for the most productivity? Is it age vs production? Is it who is the best player right now? 5 tool talent? Something else?

7 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I know that you know this but they are not competing with one another. We can appreciate one without trashing the other. Because we will need both of them to be great if this franchise wants to reach its ceiling. 

Gunnar is on the fast track to his ascent while Holliday is at the bottom/beginning of his climb. 

They will form the best up the middle duo in the game in time and hopefully it will last for at least a decade.

It's more just an intellectual curiosity.  I have tried but I can't seem to be able to specifically find on the Savant site those plays that negatively and possibly affected the OOA.  For example, even after last night's play his OOA is still 0.  Maybe there is just a delay, but if not it sure seems odd given the play he made.  

Edited by baltfan

6 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s actually a pretty easy answer imo.  Othani is a DH only this season.

As much as I value defense, Ohtani is that good as a hitter that you have to think about it. Right now they are neck and neck in fWAR (I believe Ohtani was ahead before Gunnar's big game yesterday).  bbref has Ohtani slightly ahead. I would take Gunnar but it's close in my mind.

By the way, going into the Angels series Gunnar had like .500 something OPS vs LHP. Now he is at .324/1.017. He just keeps getting better. 

16 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

As much as I value defense, Ohtani is that good as a hitter that you have to think about it. Right now they are neck and neck in fWAR (I believe Ohtani was ahead before Gunnar's big game yesterday).  bbref has Ohtani slightly ahead. I would take Gunnar but it's close in my mind.

By the way, going into the Angels series Gunnar had like .500 something OPS vs LHP. Now he is at .324/1.017. He just keeps getting better. 

That’s the thing about Gunnar. He only 22! We don’t even know where the ceiling is right now.

41 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This was an entertaining little discussion. I love it when those 2 talk baseball! Thank you for posting this!

However, when discussing best player in the game, I thought it was interesting that neither mentioned Ocuna Jr. He has ALREADY had 2 amazing seasons (including last year) of the kind that we are hoping that Gunnar is headed for this year.

8 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Gunnar Henderson's splits through first 97 ABs of the season:

Home -- .326 / .385 / .630

Away -- .294 / .362 / .667

Vs. LH -- .324 / .395 / .622

Vs. RH -- .300 / .358 / .667

Credit to Hyde to sticking with him at leadoff vs LHP. I've been wanting to see Westburg bat leadoff against LHP, but Gunnar has said he just needs to see more lefties and Hyde was smart to trust him I guess!