Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Has he given any indications that he's capable of playing third or right at the ML level?

Or is he Torkelson with a better arm?

Because Torkelson with a better arm is Torkelson.

(Obviously I'm not comparing bats right now)

There are definitely people that think he can play 3rd.  Eleven errors isn’t some insane amount. 

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

There are definitely people that think he can play 3rd.  Eleven errors isn’t some insane amount. 

Roy said something similar last week.  While I agree that errors aren't a great tool for evaluating check out the number of chances.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Mayo has made two errors this weekend, one at 3B, one at 1B.  Today, with the bases loaded, he made a bad throw from 1B and all three runners scored.   Oops.  On Friday at 3B, Mayo flubbed a grounder and a runner scored from 3B.   That’s 14 errors on the year, 4 at 1B in only 13 starts there, 10 at 3B in 53 starts.  

This is the Mayo I see when I watch games.  I used to suggest he would be Devers level with the glove at third.  But honestly he seems worse.  

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Roy said something similar last week.  While I agree that errors aren't a great tool for evaluating check out the number of chances.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Arenado had 23 errors his final full year in the minors.  When he came up people thought he would be average at third.  Gunnar had a fair amount of throwing errors last year.  I still think he can play the position especially with coaching at the MLB level. 

6 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Arenado had 23 errors his final full year in the minors.  When he came up people thought he would be average at third.  Gunnar had a fair amount of throwing errors last year.  I still think he can play the position especially with coaching at the MLB level. 

I'm not saying it's impossible, although I do doubt the coaching is going to make a big difference.

I don't think it is a good sign that they are trying him in right and first and he doesn't seem to be thriving anywhere.

Why would you move Westburg off of third for Mayo?

7 minutes ago, baltfan said:

Arenado had 23 errors his final full year in the minors. 

23 errors in 475 chances (.952).  Mayo has 11 errors in roughly 142 chances (.923) (don’t know exactly how many he had today).  That’s not close.   

Putting errors aside, name one scout who’s said Mayo has excellent range.  I’ve never heard that.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mayo has made two errors this weekend, one at 3B, one at 1B.  Today, with the bases loaded, he made a bad throw from 1B and all three runners scored.   Oops.  On Friday at 3B, Mayo flubbed a grounder and a runner scored from 3B.   That’s 14 errors on the year, 4 at 1B in only 13 starts there, 10 at 3B in 53 starts.  

Where did the ball end up that it allowed 3 runners to score?

4 minutes ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

I don’t know if he elected to throw home to try to get the force at home, or if he threw to 2B to try to start a DP.   There was one out when the play occurred.  

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know if he elected to throw home to try to get the force at home, or if he threw to 2B to try to start a DP.   There was one out when the play occurred.  

Ground ball he fielded and threw to 2B for a double play.  The ball hit the runner in the back and went into LF.  They lost 3-2.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Yordan Alvarez was DH for 65 of 99 games for the Astros this year. 

Call Mayo up and make him a full time DH. 

It could work--you can make O'Hearn and Mountcastle a pure platoon at first base--but who goes to make room for Mayo?  If it's Urias or Mateo, you have no utility infielder anymore.  

35 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

It could work--you can make O'Hearn and Mountcastle a pure platoon at first base--but who goes to make room for Mayo?  If it's Urias or Mateo, you have no utility infielder anymore.  

Westburg can play anywhere on the diamond. Heck, I'll bet he can fill in at 1B in a pinch. 

48 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Westburg can play anywhere on the diamond. Heck, I'll bet he can fill in at 1B in a pinch. 

True, but if Mayo is playing DH then there is nobody on the bench who can come in and play infield without giving up the DH.  

8 hours ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

It was a weird carom.  Looked like the LF was playing LCF.  He threw the ball from deep at 1B and it hit the runner, but not flush in the back.  The ball shot into shallow left field and continued into foul territory.  The LF & 3B weren’t anywhere close to it.