Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

13 hours ago, emmett16 said:

It was a weird carom.  Looked like the LF was playing LCF.  He threw the ball from deep at 1B and it hit the runner, but not flush in the back.  The ball shot into shallow left field and continued into foul territory.  The LF & 3B weren’t anywhere close to it.  

Rgr, thanks for the context.  Three runs scoring on a ground ball to the first baseman definitely had to have some uniqueness to it.  

10 hours ago, clapdiddy said:

Yes you do.  You will have Urias OR Mateo.

No, because one of them is in the starting lineup.  If Mayo is a DH and you waive Urias then your regular infield is Westburg-Gunnar-Mateo-(Mountcastle or O'Hearn) and there is nobody on the bench you can bring in to play 2B, 3B or SS, unless you are willing to play Mayo at 3B and give up the DH for the rest of the game.  

1 hour ago, OriolesUpAndDowns said:

Rgr, thanks for the context.  Three runs scoring on a ground ball to the first baseman definitely had to have some uniqueness to it.  

Kinda weird play. It wasn’t a terrible throw.  I think the runner thought it went through the infield.  He took a wide banana turn.  He wasn’t sprinting on a direct route to slide into 2b.  

Edited by emmett16

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

No, because one of them is in the starting lineup.  If Mayo is a DH and you waive Urias then your regular infield is Westburg-Gunnar-Mateo-(Mountcastle or O'Hearn) and there is nobody on the bench you can bring in to play 2B, 3B or SS, unless you are willing to play Mayo at 3B and give up the DH for the rest of the game.  

Oh...I was assuming that Mayo was playing 3B.   Mayo, Gunnar, Westburg, Mounty/O'Hearn with Mateo OR Ortiz as backup.

Edited by clapdiddy

I think Mayo comes up on 9/1 when rosters expand from 26 to 28. His floor with the MLB team will be DH vs LHP in the playoffs, with a chance to beat out O’Hearn/Mountcastle for ABs at DH full time as his ceiling. 

I don’t think we see him much in the field this season.

That also leaves him in line to be AL ROY eligible in 2025. 

3 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think Mayo comes up on 9/1 when rosters expand from 26 to 28. His floor with the MLB team will be DH vs LHP in the playoffs, with a chance to beat out O’Hearn/Mountcastle for ABs at DH full time as his ceiling. 

I don’t think we see him much in the field this season.

That also leaves him in line to be AL ROY eligible in 2025. 

If the plan is to bring him up with just enough time to keep his RoY candidacy in 2025, then they'll promote him like they did with Gunnar on 8/31/ This would allow him to be playoff eligible if deemed needed.

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

If the plan is to bring him up with just enough time to keep his RoY candidacy in 2025, then they'll promote him like they did with Gunnar on 8/31/ This would allow him to be playoff eligible if deemed needed.

It’s more so the extra roster spot on 9/1, the ROY is a bonus. Mayo will still be a big factor for this team even just with the bat September and October. 

Hope he can give us what Evan Carter gave the Rangers last year. Sometimes it’s good to come up late in the season so that advanced scouting doesn’t have time to get you. 

1 minute ago, sportsfan8703 said:

It’s more so the extra roster spot on 9/1, the ROY is a bonus. Mayo will still be a big factor for this team even just with the bat September and October. 

Hope he can give us what Evan Carter gave the Rangers last year. Sometimes it’s good to come up late in the season so that advanced scouting doesn’t have time to get you. 

Evan Carter gave the Rangers a boost in the playoffs.   If Mayo isn’t called up until 9/1 he won’t be eligible for the playoffs.

27 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Couldn't he just replace an "injured" player?

They could try it but it will look pretty fishy if Ramon Urias is the injured player.  Of course, you need a player and his agent to agree to the fake injury.   

31 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

They could try it but it will look pretty fishy if Ramon Urias is the injured player.  Of course, you need a player and his agent to agree to the fake injury.   

As if anyone would blink an eye if Hays got hurt.  😉

Could Mayo transition to corner OF? I wonder if his future is RF at Camden Yards. He obviously has a cannon arm. Certainly doesn't seem to be working with him and either IF position.

On 7/23/2024 at 7:02 AM, Tony-OH said:

At first I got excited that I might see him then, when I'm at the Rockies series.

On second thought, though, seems more likely on 9/2, to prevent him having to join the team a mile high with Canadian Wildfire smoke.