Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

24 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Right.

1. Rivera consistently plays over Mayo.  Whether justified or not, he’s clearly higher in the pecking order right now. You don’t cut the second-string player to keep the third-string player.  (Obviously Mayo will be the better long term player and has the better pedigree but we’re talking specifically about the next two weeks).

2. Mayo has an option and Rivera doesn’t. Rivera provides depth going into next year, provides some flexibility to trade Urias if the right offer presents itself, and does several things well as a role player (even if perceived by fans with stigma of waiver wire scrub).

Rivera on this club next year would be a step back. He can’t sniff Ramon’s jock. If he’s back on this roster to start the season, something went wrong.

11 minutes ago, rm5678 said:

Mullins is in the lineup today. It was just posted.

Mayo would likely need to be optioned when Westburg/Urias/Mountcastle return.  By doing it today instead of tomorrow or Tuesday, Mayo’s 10-day minimum option length will be over in time for him to be eligible for wildcard series.  On the other hand, it’s hard to imagine a scenario where Mayo makes the postseason roster unless there is an injury (in which case there would be an exception to the 10-day rule).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, LookitsPuck said:

Rivera on this club next year would be a step back. He can’t sniff Ramon’s jock. If he’s back on this roster to start the season, something went wrong.

I think the Orioles will tender him arbitration. Before anyone gets too worked over this possibility, keep in mind we also reached an Arb-1 deal with Sam Hilliard last year.

Despite the gold glove, Rivera is a better defender than Ramon, but Urias is the better hitter and superior overall player.  However, Urias will also cost more and could bring back more in a trade.  

Further, Urias could get injured at some point.  If Urias is injured in spring training, then yes “something went wrong to cause Rivera to be on the OD roster”, but it will still be good to have this depth.

4 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I think the Orioles will tender him arbitration. Before anyone gets too worked over this possibility, keep in mind we also reached an Arb-1 deal with Sam Hilliard last year.

Despite the gold glove, Rivera is a better defender than Ramon, but Urias is the better hitter and superior overall player.  However, Urias will also cost more and could bring back more in a trade.  

Further, Urias could get injured at some point.  If Urias is injured in spring training, then yes “something went wrong to cause Rivera to be on the OD roster”, but it will still be good to have this depth.

I am with you on this.   This is what Elias does.   Like O'Hearn.   Elias signs Rivera for about 1M, and brings him to ST.    If there is not room for him on the roster on OD Elias DFAs him and tries to get him through waivers to play at AAA.    Then he is available whenever the injuries occur.   I could see Elias doing the same thing with Bowman.

I think Jorge Mateo could be the priority keep as a reserve infielder.

Mateo, Ryan 2, catcher, outfielder is the bench.    McCann/Slater if we have a big Keep the Band together scenario like we hope.

Adley, Ryan 1, Holliday, Gunnar, Westburg, Cowser, Mullins, Kjerstad, Mayo play Opening Day.   

Urias/Rivera benefit if a Ryan is moved on from.   

44 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

I don’t disagree or even really care about the Arb thing. But what makes you think Rivera is better than Urias with the glove?  Rivera is fine, especially compared to Mayo who has been the  only other alternative recently, but he’s not shown anything to say he’s better than Urias. If nothing else, Urias is a step faster on the slow rollers. Multiple IF hits in last several games that I think Urias would have had a better chance on. 

Urias to Rivera is a fairly decent sized downgrade IMO. 

19 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

I don’t disagree or even really care about the Arb thing. But what makes you think Rivera is better than Urias with the glove?  Rivera is fine, especially compared to Mayo who has been the  only other alternative recently, but he’s not shown anything to say he’s better than Urias. If nothing else, Urias is a step faster on the slow rollers. Multiple IF hits in last several games that I think Urias would have had a better chance on. 

Urias to Rivera is a fairly decent sized downgrade IMO. 

It’s just looking at the defensive metrics, though Rivera actually hasn’t been good since joining Baltimore.

If you look at the past 3 years at 3B, average DRS and FRV (I.e., OOA), and annualize to ~150 games, Rivera is about 4 runs above average vs right about average for Urias.

If you look at the past 2 years at 3B, average DRS and FRV (I.e., OOA), and annualize to ~150 games, Rivera is about 1 run above average vs ~ 11 runs below average for Urias.

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

I was at the game last night right by front base and had a close view of Mayo playing 1st base. I believe he got sent down because he doesn't know how to play good defense yet. It's more about that than hitting the baseball.

Yeah that .098 average was keeping him safe. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah that .098 average was keeping him safe. 

Nobody is claiming that. However he did hit last night but he let 2 or 3 balls get past him and missed a throw from Jackson.  If a guy gets optioned after showing a sign of improvement at the plate, but struggles to field his position, what's the most likely overwhelming deciding factor then?

The Orioles are an organization that believes in strong defensive play, which is why we carried a player like Urias or Mateo for so many seasons even when they were struggling to hit.