2024 Delmarva Shorebirds

DirtyBird

Shorebirds box scores are fun right now with the infusion of 2024 draft talent and other guys.  

CF Austin Overn went 2 for 3 with 2 walks tonight, hit a double, scored a run and knocked one in, and threw out a runner at 2B.   Busy day for our 3rd round pick!

Braxton Bragg threw 6 shutout innings and was followed by rehabbing Zack Peek, who threw 1.2 perfect innings and struck out 2.

2nd rounder Ethan Anderson played LF today while 8th rounder Colin Tuft caught.  The other day it was the other way around.  

Edited by Frobby
  • Upvote 1
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Frobby said:

Shorebirds box scores are fun right now with the infusion of 2024 draft talent and other guys.  

CF Austin Overn went 2 for 3 with 2 walks tonight, hit a double, scored a run and knocked one in, and threw out a runner at 2B.   Busy day for our 3rd round pick!

Braxton Bragg threw 6 shutout innings and was followed by rehabbing Zack Peek, who threw 1.2 perfect innings and struck out 2.

2nd rounder Ethan Anderson played LF today while 8th rounder Colin Tuft caught.  The other day it was the other way around.  

...and our 5th round pick, Catcher Ryan Stafford, played second base!

• Upvote 1

On 8/13/2024 at 10:53 PM, Frobby said:

Starting pitcher Ty Weatherly, a 2023 UDFA, threw 4 shutout innings.  Weatherly missed more than two months this season but has been effective when he’s pitched, sporting a 2.10 ERA, 1.067 WHIP, and 11.7 K/9 in 30 IP.  He’ll be interesting to follow as the season winds down.

Weatherly started yesterday and was pulled after throwing two pitches and yielding a hit.  That does not sound good.  

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Weatherly started yesterday and was pulled after throwing two pitches and yielding a hit.  That does not sound good.  

Looking at the game log, he was ejected from the game.  I'm glad it wasn't injury related.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

After 2 pitches??  Sheesh.

Yeah, it's a headscratcher unless you saw the game.  He threw 2 pitches, both were strikes and it was the 1st base umpire that ejected him.  Could he have used an illegal substance?  IDK.

An early look at some of our 2024 draftees: 

Griff O’Ferrall (1st Rd Supp) .429/.581/.476 in 31 PA

Ethan Anderson (2nd) .321/.375/.607 in 32 PA

Austin Overn  (3rd).250/.394/.333 in 33 PA

Ryan Stafford (5th) .364/.500/.364 in 30 PA

Colin Tuft  (8th) .191/.346/.238 in 26 PA

Anderson already has played 3 games at C, 2 at 1B, 1 in LF and 1 at DH.  Stafford has had 3 at C, 2 at 2B, 1 in RF and 1 at DH.  Tuft has 1 game at C, 3 in LF, 1 at 1B, 1 at DH.

O’Ferrall has played 5 games at SS and 2 at 2B, while Overn has played 4 in CF, 2 in RF and 1 in LF.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Frobby said:

An early look at some of our 2024 draftees: 

Griff O’Ferrall (1st Rd Supp) .429/.581/.476 in 31 PA

Ethan Anderson (2nd) .321/.375/.607 in 32 PA

Austin Overn  (3rd).250/.394/.333 in 33 PA

Ryan Stafford (5th) .364/.500/.364 in 30 PA

Colin Tuft  (8th) .191/.346/.238 in 26 PA

Anderson already has played 3 games at C, 2 at 1B, 1 in LF and 1 at DH.  Stafford has had 3 at C, 2 at 2B, 1 in RF and 1 at DH.  Tuft has 1 game at C, 3 in LF, 1 at 1B, 1 at DH.

O’Ferrall has played 5 games at SS and 2 at 2B, while Overn has played 4 in CF, 2 in RF and 1 in LF.

Is out of the realm of possibility where Elias sees a future state of carrying three (or more?) catchers who can play multiple positions, with the theory that it will keep all the bats fresh? You could have a scenario where no one catcher is playing more than 2-3 days week behind the dish. 

1 hour ago, ChuckS said:

Is out of the realm of possibility where Elias sees a future state of carrying three (or more?) catchers who can play multiple positions, with the theory that it will keep all the bats fresh? You could have a scenario where no one catcher is playing more than 2-3 days week behind the dish. 

Very interesting point.  It's not something I had thought about, but kinda makes sense if you look at three catchers picked in the first 8 rounds along with the fact they're all playing different positions.  

20 minutes ago, Otter said:

Very interesting point.  It's not something I had thought about, but kinda makes sense if you look at three catchers picked in the first 8 rounds along with the fact they're all playing different positions.  

Along with the fact that we already have a superstar catcher on the major league team with a second one soon to follow (Basallo).  

I also think about Dalton Varsho.  A catcher, who was able to move from the position and be athletic enough to play an above-average CF.  Elias may like the flexibility of having a catcher who isn't married to the position. 

Edited by ChuckS

On 8/16/2024 at 12:44 AM, Frobby said:

Another impressive outing from Bragg tonight.  5.1 innings, 1 earned run, 11 K’s.

Ryan Stafford is maybe flying a bit under the radar with his performance so far.  Through 10 games, he's batting .387 with a .512 OBP.  He has 8 BB's to 6 K's.  He's played 4 games at C, 3 at 2B, and 1 each in LF, RF and at DH.

On 8/26/2024 at 8:47 AM, Hazmat said:

Ryan Stafford is maybe flying a bit under the radar with his performance so far.  Through 10 games, he's batting .387 with a .512 OBP.  He has 8 BB's to 6 K's.  He's played 4 games at C, 3 at 2B, and 1 each in LF, RF and at DH.

He's #40 on the prospect power rankings despite being a 5th round pick. So I'm paying attention to his quick start and versatility.