Dean Kremer 2024

10 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll differ a little bit...yeah, great start tonight from the perspective that he got through 7 innings of 2 run ball.  That's fantastic.

But only 7 swinging strikes and 4 strikeouts against 4 walks.  He got some DP grounders but the Yankees were making loud contact in the early innings before he settled in a bit.  

That's the thing that kind of confounds me about Kremer, he'll have a game where he'll strike out 7-9 batters and you'll see real swing and miss stuff and then the next start it'll be hardly any swings and misses, not as many strikeouts. Maybe that's why he's anywhere from a 3rd to 5th starter. 

Tonight was a great outcome but I don't think he looked his best.

I almost thought he was trying to pitch to contact, knowing that the team needed him to pitch deep into the game.  The previous game he struck out a ton of guys but needed 101 pitches in 5.1 innings to do it.  That would not have been a good outcome today.  

Of course, if you’re pitching to contact, how are you walking 4 guys?   Lucky for Kremer, 3 of those walks were erased on DP’s the very next batter.  That’ll help a pitch count!

Overall, though, I’m liking Kremer’s array of pitches this year.  He’s substituted a splitter for his old change-up and it’s a better pitch.   He’s really got a lot of weapons at his disposal.  

• Upvote 2

Kremer was lucky with the placement of a lot of those ground balls yesterday, but Judge and Stanton don’t have much speed so that also helps. He may have been lucky but who cares, he got results and we won. That stuff evens out. 

Kremer got squeezed by Bucknor on three of those four walks. (Or McCann did a horrible job framing, I was at the game so I couldn't tell.) Look at the Gameday. In the first, Soto walked on four pitches but could easily have been down in the count 1-2. Stanton should have been called out on strikes in the second. Judge got a gift call to get ahead 2-0 in the sixth. The only "bad" walk was the walk to Grisham.

Great start from Dean.

The Yankees lack of athleticism has basically cost them wins in both games. Meanwhile, we kept beating out ground balls and making athletic defensive plays. 

If you can keep them in the ballpark and scratch out a few runs off their good pitching, the Yankees are beatable. 

28 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Kremer was lucky with the placement of a lot of those ground balls yesterday, but Judge and Stanton don’t have much speed so that also helps. He may have been lucky but who cares, he got results and we won. That stuff evens out. 

Sure.  But I'll take grounders from Judge and the ghost of Stanton all day, any day.

5 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

There are always relief pitchers available around the deadline … plenty.  

Probably fewer good ones than in the past.  Fewer teams will want to trade now because so many more teams can get into the playoffs.

7 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Probably fewer good ones than in the past.  Fewer teams will want to trade now because so many more teams can get into the playoffs.

The A's have a few, the CHI SOX have one, the Pirates have a couple, MIA has a couple. And that's just to name the absolute bottom dwellers who are not playing for post season. (Well PIT may be?)

Point is, there will be out there, always are.

3 hours ago, Moshagge3 said:

Kremer got squeezed by Bucknor on three of those four walks. (Or McCann did a horrible job framing, I was at the game so I couldn't tell.) Look at the Gameday. In the first, Soto walked on four pitches but could easily have been down in the count 1-2. Stanton should have been called out on strikes in the second. Judge got a gift call to get ahead 2-0 in the sixth. The only "bad" walk was the walk to Grisham.

Interesting day for Bucknor, according to Ump Scorecard, which says he mistakenly called 8 strikes as balls,  but only one ball as a strike.   Most days for most umps, the pitcher is the beneficiary of the majority of incorrect calls.   

He was dealing out there. I know a lot of the board doesn't like him but he's a very good back of the rotation starter. He eats innings for us and is definitely getting better. Unlike a guy like Wells who is much better in a one or two inning relief role, ghe definitely needs to stay in the rotation when Grayson comes back. Maybe we should consider a 6 man rotation?

Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, Irvin. Or just use Irvin as a swing man in a 5 man rotation.

55 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

He was dealing out there. I know a lot of the board doesn't like him but he's a very good back of the rotation starter. He eats innings for us and is definitely getting better. Unlike a guy like Wells who is much better in a one or two inning relief role, ghe definitely needs to stay in the rotation when Grayson comes back. Maybe we should consider a 6 man rotation?

Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, Irvin. Or just use Irvin as a swing man in a 5 man rotation.

Even though everyone is pitching well now, it may not be that way when Grayson is ready to return. It is most likely that whoever is pitching worse between Irvin, Means, and Kremer goes to the pen.

A 6 man rotation could throw off everyone’s rhythm and routine. With how regimented Burnes is in regards to his preparation and with this being a FA year for him, I don’t see him being in favor of that.

2 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Even though everyone is pitching well now, it may not be that way when Grayson is ready to return. It is most likely that whoever is pitching worse between Irvin, Means, and Kremer goes to the pen.

A 6 man rotation could throw off everyone’s rhythm and routine. With how regimented Burnes is in regards to his preparation and with this being a FA year for him, I don’t see him being in favor of that.

Could go with six man rotation while keeping Burnes on standard 5 day routine.  

The schedule starts getting dense with fewer days off becoming perhaps more conducive to six man rotation.  From 5/10 through 7/14 (all star break), the Os have just 3 off days on 5/16, 5/30, 7/1.

15 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Could go with six man rotation while keeping Burnes on standard 5 day routine.  

The schedule starts getting dense with fewer days off becoming perhaps more conducive to six man rotation.  From 5/10 through 7/14 (all star break), the Os have just 3 off days on 5/16, 5/30, 7/1.

Are you saying there’s not a single day off in June?  That doesn’t seem right. That’s 31 consecutive days with a game.