Dean Kremer 2024

13 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Could go with six man rotation while keeping Burnes on standard 5 day routine.  

The schedule starts getting dense with fewer days off becoming perhaps more conducive to six man rotation.  From 5/10 through 7/14 (all star break), the Os have just 3 off days on 5/16, 5/30, 7/1.

Another problem with a 6 man roster (especially when having to carry Kimbrel) is that the roster of the bullpen becomes awful thin. That leaves you with what 6 relievers assuming 1 currently would have to leave (minus Kimbrel who apparently can’t pitch in back to back days). 

That would be fine if everyone continues to go 6/7 innings. But the moment someone has a 5 inning or less start, the bullpen would instantly become taxed (especially if that occurred on one of Kimbrel’s “rest days”).

2 minutes ago, Fiver6565 said:

Are you saying there’s not a single day off in June?  That doesn’t seem right. That’s 31 consecutive days with a game. 

Miscounted earlier…one off day in June on 6/17.

3 hours ago, gtman55 said:

He was dealing out there. I know a lot of the board doesn't like him but he's a very good back of the rotation starter. He eats innings for us and is definitely getting better. Unlike a guy like Wells who is much better in a one or two inning relief role, ghe definitely needs to stay in the rotation when Grayson comes back. Maybe we should consider a 6 man rotation?

Burnes, Bradish, Rodriguez, Means, Kremer, Irvin. Or just use Irvin as a swing man in a 5 man rotation.

I've seen that said essentially twice in this thread and yet I just read through 7 pages of positive comments about Kremer. 

I think some get confused when people suggest Kremer may get bumped from the rotation as they don't like him. Somebody is going to have to go when Grayson comes back. 

It's not going to be Burnes, Bradish or Means, which means it's going to be Irvin and Kremer. Both Irvin and Kremer are pitching great right now but Kremer has an option and Irvin doesn't. 

Now, could this mean the Orioles slow play Grayson back to give him an extended down time so he will hopefully be very fresh come this October? Perhaps.

All I know is that it's a good problem to have too many good starters. 

Kremer has been nails of late and he's a solid major league starter. But all also could get caught up in a numbers game as this fleshes itself out like they tend to do with IL stints.

Irvin will be the one to go to the pen.

You also wonder if the Os look to trade a trade a starter, especially if Povich and maybe McDermott show they can come up and help if needs be.  I tend to doubt the Os go this route but I wouldn’t completely dismiss it.

They have to figure out some way to get in a real back end reliever to go with Kimbrel, Cano and DC.  They aren’t going to trade Mayo or Basallo and may not move Kjerstad for one either.

So, that leaves a lot of other good prospects or taking from the Ml roster.  All of it makes sense on different levels.

Anybody notice him grimacing and flexing/shaking out his throwing hand a lot during this start? The grimacing was usually after a strikeout, so that may just be his pumped up face. But he is always inspecting his fingers (blister? callous?) and shaking out his hand. Broadcast didn't mention it and he seemed fine in the post-game and throughout the start.

Just something I noticed. 

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, interloper said:

Anybody notice him grimacing and flexing/shaking out his throwing hand a lot during this start? The grimacing was usually after a strikeout, so that may just be his pumped up face. But he is always inspecting his fingers (blister? callous?) and shaking out his hand. Broadcast didn't mention it and he seemed fine in the post-game and throughout the start.

Just something I noticed. 

I did and was just about to post the same question.  Seemed like it went away after the 5th inning, so maybe a split nail that he could take care of in between innings?  

Edited by lazyjc22

Mystery  solved why he was shaking his hand and looking in pain his last two starts.

Roch Kubatko

* Kremer had a bandage around his right middle finger yesterday after receiving further treatment for a blister that popped up a couple of starts ago.

Though Kremer dominated the Reds Sunday with one hit allowed in six scoreless innings, he could be seen flexing and shaking the hand. Nothing that warranted a mound visit or his removal. No big deal.

“It wasn’t going to take me out of the game,” he said.

“That was the worst, but it’s manageable,” he said. “It developed the last start. We had to take it down all the way until it was raw skin and kind of build it back up.”

Still odd that Ben and Kevin didn’t pick up on this at all during his start.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Mystery  solved why he was shaking his hand and looking in pain his last two starts.

Roch Kubatko

* Kremer had a bandage around his right middle finger yesterday after receiving further treatment for a blister that popped up a couple of starts ago.

Though Kremer dominated the Reds Sunday with one hit allowed in six scoreless innings, he could be seen flexing and shaking the hand. Nothing that warranted a mound visit or his removal. No big deal.

“It wasn’t going to take me out of the game,” he said.

“That was the worst, but it’s manageable,” he said. “It developed the last start. We had to take it down all the way until it was raw skin and kind of build it back up.”

Still odd that Ben and Kevin didn’t pick up on this at all during his start.

This makes sense. I figured it had to be a blister because the only other reason to be shaking you hand like that is wrist/elbow discomfort, and he would have been removed immediately of that was the case (or at the very least, had a trainer mound visit). Very strange that the announcers never commented on it.

If Kremer ends up in AAA due to the numbers game, he could benefit from focusing on command for the splitter or revisiting the sweeper that he scrapped last year. Having a reliable higher whiff secondary is the only thing separating Kremer from the solid 4/5 that he is now and being more of a reliable mid-rotation guy. 

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This makes sense. I figured it had to be a blister because the only other reason to be shaking you hand like that is wrist/elbow discomfort, and he would have been removed immediately of that was the case (or at the very least, had a trainer mound visit). Very strange that the announcers never commented on it.

If Kremer ends up in AAA due to the numbers game, he could benefit from focusing on command for the splitter or revisiting the sweeper that he scrapped last year. Having a reliable higher whiff secondary is the only thing separating Kremer from the solid 4/5 that he is now and being more of a reliable mid-rotation guy. 

Kremer’s chances of ending up in AAA are zero unless it’s a rehab. 

1 minute ago, dystopia said:

Kremer’s chances of ending up in AAA are zero unless it’s a rehab. 

If Grayson comes back healthy and there are no other injuries, the options are (1) 6 man rotation, (2) Means or Irvin in the bullpen or (3) Kremer optioned to AAA (or in the bullpen). Kremer being optioned is the only choice that avoids a DFA and the only choice that keeps all of the 6 SP on SP schedules. 

The DFA would be Baumann and I’ll personally not lose any sleep over that, but I think the Orioles clearly want to hang onto him. I suppose they could option Akin instead, but I find that the most unlikely given how well he’s pitched. It’s certainly no lock that the route they choose would be optioning Kremer but you’re ignore the factors impacting roster construction if you don’t think it’s a possibility.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

If Grayson comes back healthy and there are no other injuries, the options are (1) 6 man rotation, (2) Means or Irvin in the bullpen or (3) Kremer optioned to AAA (or in the bullpen). Kremer being optioned is the only choice that avoids a DFA and the only choice that keeps all of the 6 SP on SP schedules. 

The DFA would be Baumann and I’ll personally not lose any sleep over that, but I think the Orioles clearly want to hang onto him. I suppose they could option Akin instead, but I find that the most unlikely given how well he’s pitched. It’s certainly no lock that the route they choose would be optioning Kremer but you’re ignore the factors impacting roster construction if you don’t think it’s a possibility.

Irvin will go to the pen and Baumann will be DFAed. The O’s aren’t going to give him a roster spot over Kremer. Just not going to happen. 

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Not holding tonight’s final statline against Dean that much, since that HR was about as direct an umpire robbery as you’ll see. But he’s definitely looking shaky these last two outings. I won’t be shocked if the blister IL stint comes after this one. 

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Not holding tonight’s final statline against Dean that much, since that HR was about as direct an umpire robbery as you’ll see. But he’s definitely looking shaky these last two outings. I won’t be shocked if the blister IL stint comes after this one. 

On one hand, it's always a bad thing when a pitcher has to get a 4th out, either because of an error or an umpire's mistake. On the other hand, a pitcher still has to execute and can't serve up a meatball.

That being said, that was probably the most impactful non-strike call I can remember this year, maybe a few years.  

EDIT: From Melewski - "Sometimes the strike call you don't get leads to the fastball you throw that leaves the ballpark."

Edited by Jagwar