Brandon Hyde 2024

2 hours ago, Baseball fandom said:

Not saying I want him dismissed because right now I'm on the fence. He's had a lot of injuries to deal so this has to be under consideration  but it's crazy how this season has went off the rails. My question is if you guys want to keep him do you suggest he relieves some of his coaches of their duties and for those who want him gone please give me some names that you like. 

Fascinating question, but just because you don’t know with whom to replace a guy doesn’t mean it is UNreasonable to want him replaced(very awkward typo)

I've thought of a lot of “types” from Billy Martin, to Earl Weaver to Johnny Oates( God Bless Him) to Bobby Valentine.

its impossible to even begin to guess what the problem is but that’s why we’re here.

Over the course of a season, it’s normal to get tired and have days of phoning it in. It’s impossible to be 100% every day, because that takes constant hard work and focus, and that applies to every job in the world. Even janitors have days where they aren’t feeling it and don’t mop carefully.

And when fans adore you even when you screw up, it’s easier to get complacent, especially in a season when we’ve lost so many significant people, when the replacements are bad, when management is neither proactive in preparing for problems or successful in dealing with them.

Billy Martin would get in Gunnar’s face and tell him just what he thought of his sloppy defense, and if Gunnar protested, that would be bad for Gunnar.

Valentine would be the same, but louder. Valentine would be a terrible choice, btw.

On the other hand, when should a manager lay off and let guys work things out for themselves? Johnny Oates always made guys work for him. I dunno.

So I don’t know with whom to replace Hyde, unless Kevin Cash is available. But the mainstays of the team aren’t producing for Hyde and he’s unable to make them do so. They see his lousy managing choices better than the fans do, after all. And the team has evolved beyond him, anyway. 

Edited by HowAboutThat

I don’t blame Hyde for anything roster construction wise obviously, or the lack of clutch hitting, or even his bullpen decisions. 

To me, the biggest thing is that it just feels like the team has been spiraling downward for 2 months with no end in sight. They’re 33-38 in their last 71 games, with a -41 run differential. That’s a 74 win, -93 run differential pace which would be the 7th worst win percentage and 6th worst run differential in the league. 

Injuries or not, they aren’t handling the pressure well and collectively look like a deer in the headlights. They’re clearly pressing based off their quotes and their play and need to just relax and play baseball. And not that Hyde can just flip that switch, but it’s his team and his clubhouse. If he can’t get these guys heads on straight again, that is on him. Again, the injuries have sucked, but how bad they’ve been the last 70 games is way more mental at this point, and that does fall on Hyde to figure out.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HowAboutThat said:

Fascinating question, but just because you don’t know with whom to replace a guy doesn’t mean it is UNreasonable to want him replaced(very awkward typo)

I've thought of a lot of “types” from Billy Martin, to Earl Weaver to Johnny Oates( God Bless Him) to Bobby Valentine.

its impossible to even begin to guess what the problem is but that’s why we’re here.

Over the course of a season, it’s normal to get tired and have days of phoning it in. It’s impossible to be 100% every day, because that takes constant hard work and focus, and that applies to every job in the world. Even janitors have days where they aren’t feeling it and don’t mop carefully.

And when fans adore you even when you screw up, it’s easier to get complacent, especially in a season when we’ve lost so many significant people, when the replacements are bad, when management is neither proactive in preparing for problems or successful in dealing with them.

Billy Martin would get in Gunnar’s face and tell him just what he thought of his sloppy defense, and if Gunnar protested, that would be bad for Gunnar.

Valentine would be the same, but louder. Valentine would be a terrible choice, btw.

On the other hand, when should a manager lay off and let guys work things out for themselves? Johnny Oates always made guys work for him. I dunno.

So I don’t know with whom to replace Hyde, unless Kevin Cash is available. But the mainstays of the team aren’t producing for Hyde and he’s unable to make them do so. They see his lousy managing choices better than the fans do, after all. And the team has evolved beyond him, anyway. 

Thanks for responding. You made so e good points. I would really like to see who other would want to manage this team next year whether it's Hyde or another name. David Ross may get another shot and Carlos Beltran is highly thought of. 

7 hours ago, dystopia said:

I saw a post on Twitter about how mediocre we’ve been ever since the HBP-filled series with the Yankees, and speculated that maybe Hyde lost the clubhouse with how he handled that situation. 

It’s Twitter so take it with a grain of salt. But the timeline does check out. Pretty weird how we went from clobbering the Yankees to 2+ months of this crap. 

The Orioles were a half game ahead when that happened now a half game out while losing GRod, Efflin Coulumbe, Mountcastle, Westburg, Urias and Mateo .  Can you imagine if he didn’t lose the clubhouse and those guys didn’t get hurt how great we would be might even be up a game and a half.  

• Haha 1

Brandon Hyde has piloted this ship through many injuries to keep us alive for the division and at the least get us in the playoffs.  He has been a very good manager for a very young team.  The good news is he will continue be the manager of the Orioles for the foreseeable future despite the loud small lynching party that exists on this message board.

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but once again Hyde doesn't know how to manage his bullpen in the late innings of tie games.  Cano only faced one batter and threw two pitches in the 8th.  He should have been fine to come out for the 9th in a tie game, especially considering we have a day off. 

Instead Hyde brings in Dominguez.   As I'm writing, Dominguez has gotten two outs with a man on second, but even if Dominguez gets through the 9th, he won't be available for the 10th and we'll have to go with someone who is less likely to strand the ghost runner.  

These games are a war of attrition.  You can't burn through your relievers.  

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Spakman said:

Hard to blame Hyde here. What can  he do they can’t hit they can’t play defense. Even if you wanted to walk the bases loaded there you can’t because if they get a double play ball they’re not gonna turn it. 

Dominguez should’ve been pitching the 10th. What is the point of throwing Cano for 1 batter? Either bring Dominguez in during the 8th at that point or just let Cano ride out the 9th. Instead, your 2 best relievers throw a combined 1.1 IP and 19 pitches. That’s just idiotic and poor bullpen management. 

• Upvote 3

19 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

I know I'm beating a dead horse here, but once again Hyde doesn't know how to manage his bullpen in the late innings of tie games.  Cano only faced one batter and threw two pitches in the 8th.  He should have been fine to come out for the 9th in a tie game, especially considering we have a day off. 

Instead Hyde brings in Dominguez.   As I'm writing, Dominguez has gotten two outs with a man on second, but even if Dominguez gets through the 9th, he won't be available for the 10th and we'll have to go with someone who is less likely to strand the ghost runner.  

These games are a war of attrition.  You can't burn through your relievers.  

Agreed, I did not like that decision at all. The Sox have a bad bullpen outside of Jansen. Dean got us through 7 which gave us a huge advantage which Hyde squandered by wasting our best arm on one out. 

I also didn't like the decision to pitch to O'Neil, but I understand that decision could go either way. You don't want to pitch to him, but you also don't want to put the go ahead run on second.

Frustrating loss but we were still in position to win until Holliday booted that ball and if first base is open it is more of a no brainer to walk O'Neil.

I would vote for firing Hyde.  I don't want a players manager.  I want a butthead like Earl Weaver.  And I want someone who does not believe in pitching six or more relievers a game.  I am tired of it.  This whole way of playing is mega suck.   Honestly I hate all the stat geeks and wish it was 1985 again.  2024 baseball is relentlessly frustrating.  

They have won 1 series against a non CHW  or COL team since 8/1. If Seattle loses tonight, they will not have won a series against a team above .500 since 6/18-6/20 in NY. Almost 3 months.

Bad bullpen management tonight aside, the real problem is that Hyde hasn’t been able to wake his team up from whatever the hell is going on in that clubhouse, and that’s on him. A lot of the depth has been sapped with the injuries, but this goes far beyond that. 

The same people crying and complaining now are the ones that were clamoring the first two months when we were winning to bring up the young guys and we will be even better and Elias was dumb for not doing it.  Now they are up and the continue to cost us games and we are blaming the manager.  

• Like 1

Off day tomorrow, you have your Tier A arms in Perez, Cano, Dominguez. Offense sputtering, so you know it’s probably going to go into extras. And you…take out Cano after he only threw 2 pitches? And then think Akin in extra innings (high leverage, runner on) is a good idea?

It’s one thing if it was the 12th or 13th and you’re out of options. But come on.

Also, once the Holliday error happened, you just can’t let Akin pitch to O’Neill who clobbers lefties. Yoshida is terrible against them. It was a no brainer. 

I really don’t understand Hyde’s logic. Yeah, too many defensive miscues tonight and once again piss poor hitting with RISP. But Hyde isn’t helping with these other decisions.

• Upvote 1