Brandon Hyde 2024

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

He had thrown like 27 pitches at that point. No chance he faces Bell for me.

And Bell was 4-5 off of him.

I dont want any closer throwing that many pitches in one inning. 

That said, the in game was close because of mental and physical errors..as well as really bad luck.

• Upvote 1

Everyone is slumping, offense, defense, most of the pitching and managerial decision making.   IMO Hyde needs to stop trying to appease all the players and play to win.   It also helps to give players a few games to get settled.  Playing Heston sporadically is not beneficial.   Mateo, Hays and Mullins have earned PT based on historical play and defense but are hurting the team more than helping.  

Edited by Pat Kelly

15 minutes ago, Pat Kelly said:

Everyone is slumping, offense, defense, most of the pitching and managerial decision making.   IMO Hyde needs to stop trying to appease all the players and play to win.   It also helps to give players a few games to get settled.  Playing Heston sporadically is not beneficial.   Mateo, Hays and Mullins have earned PT based on historical play and defense but are hurting the team more than helping.  

This is where I feel bad for Hyde, everyone thinks because he is the manager he has full control of his lineups.  Like it or not, it has been made public that the lineup card is filled out by a combination of Hyde and the front office, I believe Sig and Eve have input into it if I remember correctly.  With that said it wouldn't surprise me if Hyde doesn't have full control over bullpen usage as well.

Everything went right last year and he won manager of the year.  This year we have a few hiccups and people are calling for him to be fired.

24 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

Can we admit that Hyde isn't a good manager yet?

This is rediculous. Hyde's body of work here is right up there with any other manager I've seen with the Orioles. Weaver, in my opinion, didn't walk on water. What Hyde endured up to 2022 - plus last year and up to this point - to say he is no good just is beyond my comprehension. You have the right to disagree with some of his moves, but he didn't create the injuries or build this team. Plus he has coaches/advisors around him that aren't exactly school children when it comes to major league experience. So NO, I can't admit that! The WE's will have to speak for themselves. 

• Upvote 1

Not having McCann bunt in the 8th inning was up there with the worst decisions I've seen Hyde make this year. The Marlins catcher, who is hardly any worse at the plate than McCann, did it twice this series which resulted in those 4 runs scoring. 

The 9th inning was really bad luck but it wouldn't have even mattered if those two runners were moved over for Gunnar's single. Having Kimbrel face Bell, pitching to Chisolm yesterday and then bringing in Webb again today were really questionable as well. 

I'm not going to call Hyde a "bad" manager but the guy really struggles with having a feel for the game sometimes. I still struggle to look at him the same after the ALDS last year where he pinch hit Adam Frazier for Westburg in the 4th inning (!) and he proceed to go 0-3. 

Did Hyde ever explain having Kjerstad on the bench? Had to have been an injury, yeah?

I am guessing he extended Kimbrel because Kimbrel hasn't gotten into many games lately, plus give him a chance to work out of it. Obviously it didn't work out but you don't want to yank your closer every time he gets in a jam. 

Gunnar error, bad send on Mullins and Mountcastle, lots of blame to go around.

5 minutes ago, LTO's said:

Not having McCann bunt in the 8th inning was up there with the worst decisions I've seen Hyde make this year. The Marlins catcher, who is hardly any worse at the plate than McCann, did it twice this series which resulted in those 4 runs scoring. 

The 9th inning was really bad luck but it wouldn't have even mattered if those two runners were moved over for Gunnar's single. Having Kimbrel face Bell, pitching to Chisolm yesterday and then bringing in Webb again today were really questionable as well. 

I'm not going to call Hyde a "bad" manager but the guy really struggles with having a feel for the game sometimes. I still struggle to look at him the same after the ALDS last year where he pinch hit Adam Frazier for Westburg in the 4th inning (!) and he proceed to go 0-3. 

They are walking Gunnar if first base is open. You can still bunt but keep that in mind. If it’s successful you have bases loaded one out for Westburg. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They are walking Gunnar if first base is open. You can still bunt but keep that in mind. If it’s successful you have bases loaded one out for Westburg. 

Gunnar had been 0 for the series, and 1 for his last 19. Don't be so sure they'd have walked him. 

3 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Gunnar had been 0 for the series, and 1 for his last 19. Don't be so sure they'd have walked him. 

They still are walking him to set up the double play and get out of inning.  You don’t walk him you have to play infield in to try and cut off runner.  You never want to bring infield in unless you have too.