Brandon Hyde 2024

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

There is no worse sports fan take than “manager doesn’t have feel for the game”

Literally every fan base says this about every manager.  

You're a fan and you've had way worse takes than that

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

They are walking Gunnar if first base is open. You can still bunt but keep that in mind. If it’s successful you have bases loaded one out for Westburg. 

They might. Hyde had the opportunity to walk Chisolm in that situation twice and didn't do it and it completely burned him both times. Either way, I'd be surprised if the majority of managers don't have their back up, sub 70 OPS+ catcher bat there with a guys like Gunnar and Westburg on deck. 

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Or too many days in a row.

You use to see closers come in occasionally in non save situations and throw an inning just to keep loose and be out there. Like the 8th inning last night when we were behind 3. But I don’t think anyone does that much anymore. They are probably too worried about someone blowing their arm out and all of the blowback that would come from that in a non save situation. 

3 minutes ago, RavensNOsGuy said:

You use to see closers come in occasionally in non save situations and throw an inning just to keep loose and be out there. Like the 8th inning last night when we were behind 3. But I don’t think anyone does that much anymore. They are probably too worried about someone blowing their arm out and all of the blowback that would come from that in a non save situation. 

You can't do that with Kimbrel because what if you get save situations two days in a row after pitching him?  He ain't going three days in a row.

So he gathers dust.

Hyde has lots of problems, but the main one is repeating mistakes. His bullpen usage is objectively bad, although he may not have any say over his personell. But the problem goes beyond that.

A managers job isn’t necessarily to teach, but the hitting/pitching are supposed to do exactly that, and they aren’t helping the guys adjust.

A kid comes up and does well, then the opposition gets a book on him and he falters. THEN he’s supposed to re-adjust. That’s not happening. They are just flailing. 

I don’t know where the bad judgement is coming from. Bad baserunning,  careless defense(I don’t hold Norby falling down against him btw, That was a slip that could happen to anyone), terrible ABs and so on. But it needs to stop.

• Upvote 1

I said this a while ago and I will say it again. Hyde should be given every opportunity to fail. Just the way Hays and Mullins have. There is always the story of Buck Showalter who was a great team builder but not able to take team to next level. Something to monitor but we are still a season and half before any decision should be made. 

This team has lost Closer, set up man, number 2,4,5 in the starting rotation. This year may be a wash and it’s sad to waste the Burnes acquisition. We are fortunate to be in the situation we are in.

14 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

This team has lost Closer, set up man, number 2,4,5 in the starting rotation. This year may be a wash and it’s sad to waste the Burnes acquisition. We are fortunate to be in the situation we are in.

A team is supposed to anticipate problems, that’s why you don’t want to have five good starters you want to have six or eight good starters.
Of course, even when you anticipate problems there are going to be problems you can’t deal with, and the problem with that situation is that that’s where we are now and so far the problems have not been dealt with in any meaningful way. We’ve tried out an extra four or five relievers, and none of them has had staying power, nor would any of them have been expected to based on their track record.

I have no problem with drafting position players and trading for pitching, but that comes with the knowledge that you’re going to pay a premium for your pitching acquisitions.

cake is not to be simultaneously had and eaten.

I think Hyde is an 'ok' manager.  Nothing about him excites me like an Earl or a Buck.  But then again nothing about him makes me think he is horrible.  He is just kind of a guy.

The one issue I have with him is imo he plays it too much by the book.  Baseball 101.  He doesn't seem to trust his gut and intuition.  For example he takes pitchers out who are obviously throwing well just because the book says to.  I don't like that.   But then he will keep a guy like Kimbrell in....who IMO should be on a very tight leash...for 30 pitches. 

He loves his guys!

Personally I wouldn't mind them getting a new manager to help take them to the next level.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole