Enrique Bradfield Jr. 2024

Frobby

3 minutes ago, clapdiddy said:

Do you think Crawford had the value of a 1st rounder for his career?     Why does it matter where the prospect is drafted?

Bradfield was drafted in 1st round as a potential GG CF w/ elite speed

Crawford is legit but he slid to 2nd round most likely bc he didn't profile for CF

They didn't draft bradfield as a corner guy. Was wondering why he was moved to LF that game? Could be bc he's banged up a little 

9 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

Crawford is legit but he slid to 2nd round most likely bc he didn't profile for CF

They didn't draft bradfield as a corner guy. Was wondering why he was moved to LF that game? Could be bc he's banged up a little 

Yeah...wasn't trying to be argumentative...just meant that if Bradfield turned into Carl Crawford, that would definitely be worth a first round pick.

19 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I don’t know.   Crawford played mostly CF in the minors.  When he got to the majors, Rocco Baldelli (1:6 pick) was the CF and later BJ Upton (1:2 pick) played it.  I think Crawford had the speed and instincts to be a solid CF, it’s just that the Rays had other options they liked better.   In any event, he wasn’t a 1st rounder but became an excellent major leaguer.  

1 hour ago, ScGO's said:

Etzel was on the team and Josenberger were both drafted as CF.   Josenberger played there his junior year at Arkansas.   I think they could be giving Bradfield a breather by playing him in LF but it was/is a chance to give the other guys some reps there.   Also, with the way the O’s like prospects to learn different positions, it’s not that unusual.   Bradfield might be a late inning defensive replacement in LF someday, although we hope he’s so good he never plays a ML inning anywhere but CF.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Etzel was on the team and Josenberger were both drafted as CF.   Josenberger played there his junior year at Arkansas.   I think they could be giving Bradfield a breather by playing him in LF but it was/is a chance to give the other guys some reps there.   Also, with the way the O’s like prospects to learn different positions, it’s not that unusual.   Bradfield might be a late inning defensive replacement in LF someday, although we hope he’s so good he never plays a ML inning anywhere but CF.

This is 100% the answer - nothing really to see here. 

Also, Crawford is an interesting name to bring up. IIRC he was in LF because of the CFs on his teams but also because his arm was extremely weak. You don’t need a cannon to play CF but if the arm is so bad that runners will challenge it going to 3rd, playing LF hides that. I think Pierre also shifted to LF later in his career for the same reason.

The knock on Bradfield’s defense is his arm, although it sounds better than Crawford-level and maybe more Mullins-level. And Bradfield does not have anywhere near the offensive upside of Crawford to carry a LF profile even with plus plus defense there.

But you could imagine some scenario where Bradfield and Honeycutt both pan out offensively and they coexist with Honeycutt in CF because his arm is much better, and Bradfield’s range is not wasted in LF at OPACY. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t know.   Crawford played mostly CF in the minors.  When he got to the majors, Rocco Baldelli (1:6 pick) was the CF and later BJ Upton (1:2 pick) played it.  I think Crawford had the speed and instincts to be a solid CF, it’s just that the Rays had other options they liked better.   In any event, he wasn’t a 1st rounder but became an excellent major leaguer.  

If I remember correctly Crawford didn't have the arm for Center.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

If I remember correctly Crawford didn't have the arm for Center.

I can think of several CFs with very lame arms.  Johnny Damon.  Mickey Rivers.  Heck, Cedric.  It’s not ideal, but range is way more important.  Honestly, I don’t remember just how bad Crawford’s arm was.  I just treasure his tenure in Boston. 

I just watched the end of the Ironbirds' game tonight.  Bottom of the 11th, Birds up 3-2.  Jersey Shore has the bases loaded with no outs.  Infield in and a high bouncer to 2nd and Josenberger throws home, 1 out.  The next batter hits a short fly ball to CF and Bradfield catches it and throws home on a close play, runner called out!  Double-play to end the game.  If that ball had gone 5-10 feet further they wouldn't have gotten the runner going home.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, CaptainRedbeard said:

This is 100% the answer - nothing really to see here. 

Also, Crawford is an interesting name to bring up. IIRC he was in LF because of the CFs on his teams but also because his arm was extremely weak. You don’t need a cannon to play CF but if the arm is so bad that runners will challenge it going to 3rd, playing LF hides that. I think Pierre also shifted to LF later in his career for the same reason.

The knock on Bradfield’s defense is his arm, although it sounds better than Crawford-level and maybe more Mullins-level. And Bradfield does not have anywhere near the offensive upside of Crawford to carry a LF profile even with plus plus defense there.

But you could imagine some scenario where Bradfield and Honeycutt both pan out offensively and they coexist with Honeycutt in CF because his arm is much better, and Bradfield’s range is not wasted in LF at OPACY. 

I wonder if Bradfield is traded then, unless he develops more XBH power than I think he will.  It looks like Honeycutt will likely either be a star or burn out w/ a very high K rate.  He'll be exciting to watch as he moves up thru the minors if nothing else.  Bradfield has been sort of a disappointment for me so far, but there's still time for him to make adjustments.

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I wonder if Bradfield is traded then, unless he develops more XBH power than I think he will.  It looks like Honeycutt will likely either be a star or burn out w/ a very high K rate.  He'll be exciting to watch as he moves up thru the minors if nothing else.  Bradfield has been sort of a disappointment for me so far, but there's still time for him to make adjustments.

I never expected Bradfield to develop a lot of power.  I’d call his season mildly disappointing so far (.279/.351/.375) but not a disaster.   Honesty, with one pretty strong month his numbers could be right where I would have expected.  

I doubt the O’s are looking to unload Bradfield just because Honeycutt may soon be signed, but he’s certainly not an untouchable if another team wants him as part of a package in exchange for something we need this year.  

• Upvote 1