Holliday called up!

jcaponio

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe.  @Sports Guy's post about avoiding Super 2 might make some sense.

But to your point, they couldn't really bring up another player if Westburg is hurt.  I mean, they could, but they'd have a real, real hard time explaining it to Holliday, his dad and the fanbase.  

If Matt Holliday wasn't pissed before (I disagreed with SG, I didn't think he was that upset), that would be sure to piss him off and rightly so.  They couldn't call up someone else with JH raking in AAA and make some lame excuse as to why they didn't call up JH with a straight face.

Do you seriously think Matt Holliday feelings (I agree I read nothing into his comments) factor into their decision making? I don’t.  And BTW, I bet Norby and Stowers’ pops are equally if not more perturbed lol.  

I think the whole things is so completely simple that it’s hard to comprehend. 

They waited until the absolute last minute to get him AAA experience.  It’s not about the sample size, it’s about the hard date.   Bringing him up to start the season would have been the easy thing to do.  They made a hard (non-emotional) decision to keep him down until the absolute last minute they had to. They took flack from all kinds of people, they could have put him on opening day roster easily, and avoided that, but thought that was the optimal path.   The kid is good and has  a very legit chance at ROY.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe.  @Sports Guy's post about avoiding Super 2 might make some sense.

But to your point, they couldn't really bring up another player if Westburg is hurt.  I mean, they could, but they'd have a real, real hard time explaining it to Holliday, his dad and the fanbase.  

If Matt Holliday wasn't pissed before (I disagreed with SG, I didn't think he was that upset), that would be sure to piss him off and rightly so.  They couldn't call up someone else with JH raking in AAA and make some lame excuse as to why they didn't call up JH with a straight face.

Sure, they could have started Urias at 3B and Mateo at 2B with Kemp as the backup.   They could have called up Norby, Matón, or even Robinson and said they don’t want Holliday up here in a bench role.  They want him in Norfolk getting everyday reps at 2B and facing AAA LHP.    If it were all about service time they could come up with some excuse which is what everyone thought they did in the first place.   The only argument for service time is if they got an extension.

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Well I'm sold.  

Yea, none of this matters. Frobby pointing out 11 at bats. This one game vs a lefty.

Was this really the justification Elias needed?  What if Holliday comes up and goes 0-10 vs lefties and Ks 5 times. Does he get sent down?

This has a lot of GRod vibes from last year although GRod did look bad in ST.  

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Yea, none of this matters. Frobby pointing out 11 at bats. This one game vs a lefty.

Was this really the justification Elias needed?  What if Holliday comes up and goes 0-10 vs lefties and Ks 5 times. Does he get sent down?

This has a lot of GRod vibes from last year although GRod did look bad in ST.  

Agreed.  Two weeks or whatever it's been at AAA isn't enough to make a difference in his development. 

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Free agent deals are.  Arbitration deals aren't.

Guy from the Giants got cut this spring.

If Kemp is cut and get's picked up by another team, are the Orioles on the hook for any portion of his salary? 

3 minutes ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Correct.  But we would lose a year on both of them.  So hopefully that doesn't happen.  

They’re both getting a full year of service anyway (assuming they’re on the roster for the rest of the year). 

• Upvote 1