Holliday called up!

jcaponio

58 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Roster Resource's Jason Martinez had this detail on the Prospect Promotion Incentive program - I hadn't realized an eligible player gets three bites at the apple, so to speak.   I believe One Pick per Player is part of it, so Gunnar or Julio couldn't "double dip" for their Clubs if they are MVP Top 3.

Because Holliday was called up with at least 172 days remaining in the regular season, he’ll qualify for the Prospect Promotion Incentive and will reach a full year of service time as long as he remains in the majors. The Orioles, as a result, will gain an extra draft pick after the first round if Holliday wins AL Rookie of the Year or finishes in the top three in AL MVP voting during his pre-arbitration seasons (2024-26).

So if Adley finished top 3 this year for AL MVP would he get us a pick? Or did starting him too late in the season his first year prevent him from being eligible?

9 hours ago, Frobby said:

I agree with this and noticed the same thing on the earlier Cedric catch.  

If Palmer was in the booth he would have reminded everyone how hard it is to play in Fenway with the lower roof.  Especially on a windy day.  Jackson called for the ball pretty early but absolutely should have been called off.  Thats an incredibly hard play for a 2B even on a normal MLB field with no wind.  It’ll come with more reps and experience playing together. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ThisIsBirdland said:

I thought Cedric looked like he pulled up based on how authoritative Holliday was waving him off. Cedric may have anticipated a collision. Holliday probably was just a little too hyped up and will need to settle in a little bit.

Not great, but much like the rest of his game it just looked like he may have been pushing through nerves/hype a bit. No concerns for me on that; I’m just glad he’s getting this experience now versus down the stretch this year. 

From the video, it looked like Holliday was shaded up the middle on the edge of the grass...which gave him a better angle than he would've had if he was playing straight up. So I think he saw it go glove side and thought "I can get that" but then it ended up being too deep. That's Cedric's ball 100/100 and if Holliday didn't chase after it I think Mullins gets there, but they've probably barely been on the field together. That kind of stuff will work itself out with time.

Edited by CP0861
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Just Regular said:

Roster Resource's Jason Martinez had this detail on the Prospect Promotion Incentive program - I hadn't realized an eligible player gets three bites at the apple, so to speak.   I believe One Pick per Player is part of it, so Gunnar or Julio couldn't "double dip" for their Clubs if they are MVP Top 3.

Because Holliday was called up with at least 172 days remaining in the regular season, he’ll qualify for the Prospect Promotion Incentive and will reach a full year of service time as long as he remains in the majors. The Orioles, as a result, will gain an extra draft pick after the first round if Holliday wins AL Rookie of the Year or finishes in the top three in AL MVP voting during his pre-arbitration seasons (2024-26).

Yeah, a lot of people are overlooking the MVP part of this rule.   Not relevant to Holliday, but a top 3 CY finish in the pre-Arb years also earns a pick if the player earned a full year of service as a rookie.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, capyy said:

that makes sense. so basically mullins maybe gets there if he's going full speed but because holliday is calling for it mullins never goes full speed because he's not positive he can get it. 

holliday definitely shouldnt be calling for that then i see what you guys are saying. he should go for it but not call for it. still would think an outfielder takes over if they know they can get it. 

Someone should have called him off, it was never 2b's ball. But, rookie superstar debut....new player to get familiar with....and no matter the level, sometimes the ball is just hit in an absolute horrible spot equidistant from 3 defenders. A couple of feet in any different direction and it plays out differently.

Either some people on here have never played ball competitively, or they need to get real.  No outfielder should  have called Holliday off UNLESS they knew for sure they had a decent chance to catch it.  I don't think Mullins or Santander were sure they could catch it, so they don't call for it.  That's just how it works.

Now, Holliday did call it early most likely because he thought he had a beat on it, but yes, he probably called it too early.  The only other reason a player calls a ball early without being sure they can catch it is because they don't want to get plowed over by an oncoming outfielder.  I doubt that was the case here, I honestly think Holliday thought he would catch, but it drifter further away from him, and neither outfielder knew for sure that they could get to it....and at that point, why call off Holliday (who had called it) only to not catch it themselves?  

Whoever said it was a no man's land ball is spot on.  

Was #7 preserved because Cal Ripken Sr. was such a legendary member of the organization? I’m 40 years old and with the exception of supplying the seed for the best player in franchise history is he that significant to the history of the club? He was a minor league coach for a long time. Hey how bout that! In 10 years will our top prospect need to kiss the ring of buck britton if they want to wear his jersey number? This is a weird story line hovering over Holliday and the team. 

6 minutes ago, baltimoriole said:

Was #7 preserved because Cal Ripken Sr. was such a legendary member of the organization? I’m 40 years old and with the exception of supplying the seed for the best player in franchise history is he that significant to the history of the club? He was a minor league coach for a long time. Hey how bout that! In 10 years will our top prospect need to kiss the ring of buck britton if they want to wear his jersey number? This is a weird story line hovering over Holliday and the team. 

I agree it's kind of bizarre. This is the kind of thing I don't like about Cal being part owner. But I guess I'm kind of glad it's unofficially-unofficially unretired now.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I agree it's kind of bizarre. This is the kind of thing I don't like about Cal being part owner. But I guess I'm kind of glad it's unofficially-unofficially unretired now.

Do you think the Ripken family would have been consulted if Cal wasn't an owner? I definitely think they would have. Cal Sr. is in the Orioles HoF. If his number was unofficially retired, all of this make sense.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal_Ripken_Sr.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, emmett16 said:

If Palmer was in the booth he would have reminded everyone how hard it is to play in Fenway with the lower roof.  Especially on a windy day.  Jackson called for the ball pretty early but absolutely should have been called off.  Thats an incredibly hard play for a 2B even on a normal MLB field with no wind.  It’ll come with more reps and experience playing together. 

If the 2B calls for it and the CF isn’t sure he can get to the ball (maybe, maybe not) what should the CF do?