Homegrown lineup

glenn__davis

14 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

I think Jeffrey Hammonds was in between depending on your criteria. He had like 10 WAR. But we generally sucked from Ripken to the present group. I mean, we had a few guys Hoiles, Wieters but even though they were  regulars here they didnt live up to the hype. I remember we had a stretch where we drafted a SP in rd 1 and a good chunk never even made the majors

I took the criteria to be, a homegrown player who became a multi-year starting lineup fixture. A couple of the guys mentioned in the post above yours appear to borderline-ish on that standard.

Whatever the criteria I don't think you could quite extend it to today. The 2000s and early 2010s saw the team develop All Star level position players like Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Schoop, and a potential HOFer in Manny Machado. 

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

I took the criteria to be, a homegrown player who became a multi-year starting lineup fixture. A couple of the guys mentioned in the post above yours appear to borderline-ish on that standard.

Whatever the criteria I don't think you could quite extend it to today. The 2000s and early 2010s saw the team develop All Star level position players like Roberts, Markakis, Wieters, Schoop, and a potential HOFer in Manny Machado. 

You’re right …..solid MLB players. Machado is the exception. 

As the say, Even the blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally.

Edited by Roll Tide

Just for fun, I added the homegrown pitchers... and let's just say that part of the list is more "interesting."

C - Rutschman, Basallo

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Holliday

3B - Mayo

SS - Henderson

Util - Westburg

LF - Cowser, Hays

CF - Mullins

RF - Kjerstad

#12/#13 - Stowers and Norby... Could also work a 3rd catcher in like Handley... and Bradfield should have a spot in a year or so. Maybe Beavers, Fabian, Wagner, or Horvath can get in here?

Rotation - Rodriguez, Means, Armbruester?, Bright?, Baumeister?

Bullpen - Baumann, Akin, Vespi, Watson?, Pham?, Gillies, Sharkey?, Baumler

I could be convinced of a De Leon, Strowd, or Denoyer...

6 minutes ago, Orange said:

Just for fun, I added the homegrown pitchers... and let's just say that part of the list is more "interesting."

C - Rutschman, Basallo

1B - Mountcastle

2B - Holliday

3B - Mayo

SS - Henderson

Util - Westburg

LF - Cowser, Hays

CF - Mullins

RF - Kjerstad

#12/#13 - Stowers and Norby... Could also work a 3rd catcher in like Handley... and Bradfield should have a spot in a year or so. Maybe Beavers, Fabian, Wagner, or Horvath can get in here?

Rotation - Rodriguez, Means, Armbruester?, Bright?, Baumeister?

Bullpen - Baumann, Akin, Vespi, Watson?, Pham?, Gillies, Sharkey?, Baumler

I could be convinced of a De Leon, Strowd, or Denoyer...

IMG_2072.jpeg.9f81486914df17cbcce13ef998348c66.jpeg

1 hour ago, emmett16 said:

I can't imagine O'Hearn or Santander will be on the team next year, so I think 2025 you will see them roll out a 100% homegrown lineup pretty regularly.  

Good chance we see it this year.  Especially after the rosters expand.

7 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I respect that this perspective is how some fans chose to follow the game when the Major League team was so terrible. And for some this is still near and dear to them.

As far as I am concerned, a "homegrown" lineup is not that important to me. If we have an all "homegrown" lineup/team doesn't win, that won't be worth much to me. 

What I care first and foremost about is the results on the field and us winning a pennant. I could care less if the players were from another planet, universe, all former Yankees, whatever/wherever; as long as we win. 

For me, at this point winning trumps everything else/all other sentimentalities.

It’s cool when players we drafted and developed make their way to the majors.  You’re the one who was talking about building the market.  One way you do it is by building around home grown stars.