Seth Johnson 2024

oriolediehard

53 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

I hate to trade pitching when we need pitching.  I'd rather trade a veteran hitter instead. If those prospect pitchers are good, why would we need to trade for someone else's pitchers?

I mean we traded Hall for Burnes. 

If it took Johnson being included to get a proper elite reliever, I'm packing the guy's bags myself. 

I think he stays in Bowie all year. Hopefully healthy. That would be best case scenario.

Keep in mind he didn’t convert to pitcher full time his 2nd year of college. He only had 150 IP of pro ball coming into this year. He’s at 35 IP for this season. Only 66 IP in college. He’s a project that is finally healthy and having success. Leave him where he is.

We’ll see what happens after the deadline. We did a really good job in those trades ID’ing Povich, McDermott, and Johnson. Cano too. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think he stays in Bowie all year. Hopefully healthy. That would be best case scenario.

Keep in mind he didn’t convert to pitcher full time his 2nd year of college. He only had 150 IP of pro ball coming into this year. He’s at 35 IP for this season. Only 66 IP in college. He’s a project that is finally healthy and having success. Leave him where he is.

We’ll see what happens after the deadline. We did a really good job in those trades ID’ing Povich, McDermott, and Johnson. Cano too. 

Seth is nearly 26 and already blew through an option as he’s on the 40-man. Not exactly the prototype prospect for slow balling them. Hopefully he has some more sustained success and gets his feet wet at Norfolk soon. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Seth is projected to start for Bowie tomorrow.  I think if he has another good showing Elias should promote him to Norfolk and start using him out of the bullpen.  I am not sure how many innings he can pitch this year as he still ramping back up from Tommy John so going to the BP could allow him to go later into the season.

I am not saying we should stop considering him a future starter but I think he is a guy who could make a difference in the Baltimore bullpen later this year and the Orioles should start prepping him for that.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Very tough one tonight - four walks and had to be hooked after 30+ pitches unable to get out of the 1st inning.

That’s rough. I’ve heard that after 18-19 pitches, the arm starts to fatigue. And after 25-26 pitches, failure starts to set in.

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Johnson threw 4 innings while allowing 1 run tonight.  On the year he’s thrown 65 innings to a 2.63 ERA, but is 0-6 because he’s rarely allowed to go past 4 innings so he never qualifies for a win.  The two times he did go 5 innings, he allowed 1 run each time but lost one and got no-decisioned the other time.  

Since May 17, he has a 1.75 ERA in 46.33 innings.   

Looks to me like they’re trying to land Johnson at about 100 innings this year.  He’s probably got 9 starts remaining.  

I'll go on the record as not being impressed with Johnson as a SP prospect. Meh K rate and too many walks. 

I'd like to see him as a full-time one inning reliever in Norfolk to start 2025. I'm picturing him as a poor man's Tyler Wells right now.

8 hours ago, luismatos4prez said:

I'll go on the record as not being impressed with Johnson as a SP prospect. Meh K rate and too many walks. 

I'd like to see him as a full-time one inning reliever in Norfolk to start 2025. I'm picturing him as a poor man's Tyler Wells right now.

It’s his first full year back from TJ surgery so I’m just happy to see him healthy and building to a decent innings count.  He hasn’t wowed me but he hasn’t knocked himself off the rails, either.  

8 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

Pretty surprised they haven't pushed him to AAA given his age.  Promotions have been few and far between this year. 

Agreed. He should have been in AAA by now. 

It is odd that little to no promotions are happening this year.  Wonder what the thought process is?  I know some of it that some guys haven’t earned it but some have.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Agreed. He should have been in AAA by now. 

It is odd that little to no promotions are happening this year.  Wonder what the thought process is?  I know some of it that some guys haven’t earned it but some have.

I think it has to do with org depth.  Not at every position across all levels but it adds a wrinkle that hasn't been as prevalent in previous years.

It’s very interesting that Johnson being on the 40 man roster and already burning some options has not caused the Orioles to waver from their philosophy of steadfastly developing all potential SPs as SPs, regardless of how remote the possibility that they stick as SPs is. 

It really only takes one Bradish to justify that strategy, so I’m not opposed to it. Pitchers are unpredictable in that small adjustments can sometimes catapult them forward in development. This approach probably makes the most sense in terms of maximizing projected output of your borderline arms over the long term.

But it’s easy to wonder how good McDermott, Johnson, Nunez, Young, Pham, Bright, Weston could be as RPs right now…even arms like Tavera, Armbruester, Brnovich. There’s a lot of 40-man/Rule 5 decisions coming up, so it will be interesting to see how they navigate it. And that’s not even counting Portes and Chace, who can probably survive this offseason’s Rule 5 draft by distance from the majors but will be in a similar situation next year.

It seems the Orioles philosophy is generally to keep them as SP until the last possible moment when they’re nearly out of options, before pulling the “convert to RP” ripcord, like with Mike Baumann.

• Upvote 1