14 runs the last two games, but I still feel the offense isn’t fully clicking

Frobby

On paper, 14 runs in two games is nothing to complain about, and 11 for 29 with RISP is solid as well.   But I can’t help but feel that the O’s left a lot of runs on the table the last two games, and several of the runs we did score were due to the Red Sox’s defensive ineptitude.  The Birds left 19 men on base in the two games, and 4 of the runs they scored were unearned.  I guess I’m giving a glass half empty perspective here, because we did get a ton of runners on base, and in the end, cashed in a respectable number of them.  Guess I’m just feeling greedy.  

As I mentioned in the Cowser thread, he had 17 runners on base the last two games, 14 of whom were in scoring position.   That’s crazy.  

Santander struggled out of the gate last year, too. I don't think he hit his first HR until a couple of weeks into the season. But he's a linchpin for the offense. When he's going well, the offense is usually going well, too.

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

On paper, 14 runs in two games is nothing to complain about, and 11 for 29 with RISP is solid as well.   But I can’t help but feel that the O’s left a lot of runs on the table the last two games, and several of the runs we did score were due to the Red Sox’s defensive ineptitude.  The Birds left 19 men on base in the two games, and 4 of the runs they scored were unearned.  I guess I’m giving a glass half empty perspective here, because we did get a ton of runners on base, and in the end, cashed in a respectable number of them.  Guess I’m just feeling greedy.  

As I mentioned in the Cowser thread, he had 17 runners on base the last two games, 14 of whom were in scoring position.   That’s crazy.  

I was thinking the same thing last night watching the game play out. I kept going back and forth between positive and negitive vibes.

"this team is so good, they are not hitting nearly as well as they can but they still put up 7 runs" or, "they need to start hitting better because they are not going to get so many gifts every night"

6 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

The offense isn't fully clicking and yet we're 7-4. That's a 103 win pace.

Just wait until the offense starts clickin'!

Teams we've played are 26-11 in all other games, all over .500. We all thought the April schedule looked like a cakewalk but these teams (especially PIT and KC) have been feisty.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, spleen1015 said:

The offense isn't fully clicking and yet we're 7-4. That's a 103 win pace.

Just wait until the offense starts clickin'!

Glass half empty me says we’ve played a weak schedule based on last year’s standings so 7-4 is basically “par” for this stretch of games.  Glass half full me says that the Angels, Royals, Pirates and Red Sox are 26-11 when not facing the O’s, so we have done very well against teams that have played well to start the year.  

Tell you what: if we win today, I will have absolutely no complaints about 8-4 to start the year.  

Edited by Frobby

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Glass half empty me says we’ve played a weak schedule based on last year’s standings so 7-4 is basically “par” for this stretch of games.  Glass half full me says that the Angels, Royals, Pirates and Red Sox are 26-11 when not facing the O’s, so we have done very well against teams that have played well to start the year.  

Tell you what: if we win today, I will have absolutely no complaints about 8-4 to start the year.  

A sweep of the Saux in Fenway will be very sweet. Looks like another tough game, maybe. Whitlock has had 2 decent starts this year. Last year, we show him twice in relief. 4 IP, 6 K, 1 BB, 1 H, 0 R

I feel the same and for me it boils down to a lack of home runs. In the first game of the series we scored 7 runs almost entirely by way of singles. When Westburg hit the 3-run bomb it was like a tension release. Like "someone crank one already!" 

I think the offense is about to start rolling now. 

14 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

They can't all be hot at once... but these are my questions at this point:

Holliday's acclimation

Hays vs. LHP

Santa's lack of barrels

Cedric's HR happy/high FBswing 

Adley's lack of power 

• Upvote 1