Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

Talk about "love." Holliday has 150 pages and Tony 11 so far this season. Whether he's resigned or not, I for probably only one, find that highly amusing. (Man, I hope Holliday delivers for all the attention he gets around here.) Tony HAS delivered and then some for this franchise. I hope we offer the QO and he gets a real nice contract somewhere else. He deserves to cash in and I will miss him when he does. In the mean time, I hope he has a monster second half.

2 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I didn’t say I could see him having a similar aging curve, but Cruz’s curve is crazy after 34.  Next 4-5 years I think he will be good. 

By 34 Adam Jones was in Japan, Matt Wieters played 19 games in the majors, Chris Davis played in 16.  Markakis had a good year at 34 but his age 33 and 35 seasons were bad.

Just now, Too Tall said:

Talk about "love." Holliday has 150 pages and Tony 11 so far this season. Whether he's resigned or not, I for probably only one, find that highly amusing. (Man, I hope Holliday delivers for all the attention he gets around here.) Tony HAS delivered and then some for this franchise. I hope we offer the QO and he gets a real nice contract somewhere else. He deserves to cash in and I will miss him when he does. In the mean time, I hope he has a monster second half.

If Santander had put up a -48 OPS+ over a two week period he'd have more than 11 pages.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

You  "pay the man his money".  AS is as solid as they come and for the price to lock him up for 4 years?  This is a no brainer imo.  It also allows you to trade one of your prospects for cheap controllable pitching.  Which we need.

Pay the man!

22 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

By 34 Adam Jones was in Japan, Matt Wieters played 19 games in the majors, Chris Davis played in 16.  Markakis had a good year at 34 but his age 33 and 35 seasons were bad.

Adam Jones swung at everything and his game was based on his legs.  Wieters was a catcher.  Davis is your best argument, but he also was a bit of a head case. 

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

Adam Jones swung at everything and his game was based on his legs.  Wieters was a catcher.  Davis is your best argument, but he also was a bit of a head case. 

I just picked notable players from the team's last playoff run.

I wasn't going for the closest comps.

I really think the Cruz comparison is valid and I have made it before on here.  I doubt AS does as well and for as long as Cruz did, but we don't need him to.  Just be good and steady until age 33 or so.  Which I fully believe he will be. 

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

I really think the Cruz comparison is valid and I have made it before on here.  I doubt AS does as well and for as long as Cruz did, but we don't need him to.  Just be good and steady until age 33 or so.  Which I fully believe he will be. 

Is he even an elite athlete?

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Is he even an elite athlete?

No.  But he doesn't need to be.  AS was a nondescript player when he was younger who was a rule 5 I believe.   Never the #1 pick and touted as the second coming.   But he is damn good now and imo will be worth every penny he gets for the next 3 to 4 years. 

If he'd sign for a reasonable 3 year contract I'd be happy to keep Santander around.  He's not blocking anybody; Kjerstad, Cowser and Santander would be a good starting outfield for next year, and if Santander goes they probably would need to sign someone to replace him in the starting lineup, barring a miracle turnaround from Hays or Mullins down the stretch.   Beavers and Fabian aren't exactly banging the doors down at AA.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

If he'd sign for a reasonable 3 year contract I'd be happy to keep Santander around.  He's not blocking anybody; Kjerstad, Cowser and Santander would be a good starting outfield for next year, and if Santander goes they probably would need to sign someone to replace him in the starting lineup, barring a miracle turnaround from Hays or Mullins down the stretch.   Beavers and Fabian aren't exactly banging the doors down at AA.  

Where Free Agency is concerned reasonable often does not apply.   Take reasonable. Add a year or two and then up the average cost by 30%.

8 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

What do you consider reasonable.  I am guessing he get 3 years 60-70 million.