Anthony Santander 2024

DirtyBird

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

Gunnar has a WAR well over 6…Santander is under 3.  It’s not even close. 

While I’d vote for Gunnar right now, I don’t think we should fall into the trap of using WAR as the sole criterion for choosing an MVP.   Santander is ahead of Gunnar in WPA (actually, Westburg leads the team), homers and RBI.  And, for now, he’s tearing it up down the stretch.   So he gets a little extra credit for non-WAR factors IMO.  Not enough, however.   

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

While I’d vote for Gunnar right now, I don’t think we should fall into the trap of using WAR as the sole criterion for choosing an MVP.   Santander is ahead of Gunnar in WPA (actually, Westburg leads the team), homers and RBI.  And, for now, he’s tearing it up down the stretch.   So he gets a little extra credit for non-WAR factors IMO.  Not enough, however.   

It’s not the sole indicator but when the gap is that wide, it also ends the discussion.

23 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

This week? Probably Holliday. 

A week ago? Maybe Santander.

Over the course of the season? Clearly Gunnar.

.248/.311/.540 isn't in the same ballpark as .287/.375/.557.

Since beginning of June when Santander's slump ended, it's close. .278/.328/.637 25 HR vs .312/.387/.536 11 HR. If I want to keep a rally going, Gunnar, but if it's a tie game bottom of the 9th, I'll take Santander. You can argue it's cherrypicking but this hot streak has been kept up over 2 months now and hasn't shown any signs of slowing down.

25 minutes ago, ORIOLE33 said:

The only advantage that Gunnar clearly has is his batting average. Like I said, Santander got off to a really bad start. Right now, I'd go with Santander in everything else. 

Gunnar also has a higher BB rate and OPS. Even if you gave Santander an edge offensively (which I wouldn't), Gunnar's ability to play a prime position at a high level makes him way more valuable. If you want to say Santander is in the running or even leading for #2, that is more defensible, although it would be a crowded race with Adley, Burnes, and Westburg (up to the injury). 

This is Santander’s walk year . He is doing great work helping Orioles this season . However at the same time , he is demonstrating/ Auditioning to prospective teams for upcoming Free Agency .  
I see two outcomes 1) he either accept O’s QO or sign extension with O’s

or 2) there is multiple teams bidding for his services . O’s lose him and recoup QO compensation draft pick for July 2025 draft 

A hidden plus is that he has turned himself into a playable RF-er. The metrics still show him below average, but at Camden Yards I think he's certainly playable. Meanwhile Trumbo was one of the worst rated OFers in MLB when he played there for us. 

2 hours ago, dzorange said:

ThomasTomasz of Pro Sports Daily fame! 

Driven here.

Whats up man, good to see you here.  Been a long-time lurker here and I’ll chime in from time to time but it’s great to read a lot of the opinions here.  

Also, really sucks with what happened to PSD.  Some of the guys created a Discord, but that lost steam quick and is bleeding members.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, ORIOLE33 said:

I know there's way more love for Gunnar and Adley in this fanbase, but you have got to be kidding me by saying Gunnar is a landslide favorite to win the Orioles MVP over Santander. Santander is the most dangerous hitter in this team. 

Who would you rather have up in a big moment, Gunnar or Santander?

RH pitcher- Gunner. LH pitcher- Santander. Not a hard decision.

2 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

This is Santander’s walk year . He is doing great work helping Orioles this season . However at the same time , he is demonstrating/ Auditioning to prospective teams for upcoming Free Agency .  
I see two outcomes 1) he either accept O’s QO or sign extension with O’s

or 2) there is multiple teams bidding for his services . O’s lose him and recoup QO compensation draft pick for July 2025 draft 

I mean, aren't these all of the potential outcomes other than him just abruptly retiring?

Edited by Big Mac
typo

2 hours ago, G54377 said:

A hidden plus is that he has turned himself into a playable RF-er. The metrics still show him below average, but at Camden Yards I think he's certainly playable. Meanwhile Trumbo was one of the worst rated OFers in MLB when he played there for us. 

Yeah I really don't get that because to me he plays a really good right field. 

20 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Yeah I really don't get that because to me he plays a really good right field. 

I think he’s played his best defense of the last several years this season.  He’s not that fast, so he doesn’t cover a ton of ground.  But it feels like he’s caught everything he can reach, and he’s played the RF was very well this year.  

• Upvote 2

38 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I know he isn't the fastest guy but he makes every catch that he should.  Seems very smooth out there.

Frobby said it right..he makes every catch he can. I agree with that.

However, there are a lot of balls he doesn’t get to that someone with better range does.

You used the words “really good”.  He’s not really good. He doesn’t have the range to be “really good”.

What he does do is make the plays he should make and is fundamentally sound.  He has also improved defensively from where he was a few years ago, although I think that has more to do with him being healthier.