Ryan O’Hearn 2024

Frobby

Maybe it's just recency bias,  but it seems O'Hearn has been on the wrong end of a lot of questionable strike calls in the last month, or so.   These have either been strike 3 calls, or calls that put him in pitcher's counts.  He has been a pro all year and was a great addition to this team.

• 2 weeks later...

With all the young players coming up and the fact that O'Hearn was basically a waiver claim (purchased from the Royals), he gets overlooked by fans a bit, but what he's become is remarkably consistent. At basically the same amount of PAs (381 vs 368 last year), the lefty swinger has the exact same .801 OPS but with offense down this year, that gives him a 131 OP+ vs a 122 in last year.

Now his power is down a little from last year, but his walks are up and his strike outs are down, so it appears he's trying to work getting on base more than power.

And while he hasn't played a lot in RF, he's actually been pretty good out there with a 2 OAA, both on balls coming in and has a 3-star catch going back to his left. The worse balls that he did catch were two 4-star catches at 45% and 50% catch probability. Basically he catches everything that he should. Now his -3.5 ft/sec jump and 29.7 ft/sec is nothing to write home about which tells us if he did play out there more regularly I'd imagine that OAA would go down. His arm is a weak out there and he hasn't thrown anyone out, but runners are taking bases on him liberally.

Now he's not a very good defensive 1st baseman though he won't kill the team out there. 

Overall though, when you look at his statcast leaderboard, he's having another solid season.

image.png.0ad3bf3a81d0798a742de48e2adee479.png

• Upvote 4

• 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• This is going to be even more of a concern for 2025 in my opinion.   There's really not a lot to pull from in the minors, most likely losing Santander and Burnes plus some.   Kjerstad is a question mark because he's never been given an opportunity to get a months worth of AB's because of usage and injuries.   I'm just doom and gloom right now because the last couple of months have been really disappointing. It's going to take some decent money this off season to address some of the needs, and I'm hoping ownership will be willing. I'm also hoping Mr Elias will be willing to rely on outside talent that's a bit better than the stop gaps that we've seen so far. 
    • This correct. https://trace.tennessee.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1426&context=jasm There are other factors, of course, certainly school has started and that has an impact. But I reckon the Orioles just puttering along isn't helping things. It'd be different if they were performing like they were to start the season. But the team currently looks like the 2015 Orioles (a .500 team) than the 2023 Orioles (or first half 2024 Orioles, for that matter). 
    • Yep. You know my thoughts on all of this and it is frustrating. Even not dealing guys like Mountcastle, Hays or O'Hearn this offseason to make space for guys was short sighted.  Besides Gunnar, Adley and Holliday, and Westburg to a lesser extent, none of the other prospects like Ortiz, Kjerstad, Cowser, Norby, Stowers, and Mayo were given everyday opportunities from the start. When they did play them, they have a nice game and instantly be back on the bench for days at a time. Cowser finally forced the issue by having that strong start and good defense, if he had struggled at all, Hays would still be in LF. Ortiz or Westburg should have been the starting 2B last year when they wasted money on Frazier. They came into this year with Cowser and Kjerstad needing everyday PAs, but instead brought their entire outfield back.  For a team that has been drafting college hitters mostly, it does seem weird that the offense stinks and they have to employ the likes of Jimenez, Rivera and Maton and the only prospects they had ready have really struggled, one of which Mayo is getting the backup experience. 
    • Went through Trevor Rogers MiLB Statcast, and he averaging 89.7mph on his 4 seamer and 89.2 on his sinker. Out of the 100 pitches, 61 were either a 4 seamer or a sinker. Of those, 18 were over 90mph (30%). I don't know, it is incredibly discouraging that we are now seeing him not even average 90mph whereas before the trade he was 92-92.5mph on average. Where did that 2+mph go? Is it entirely because of some supposed mechanics they're trying to implement to get him to *gain* his velocity back? Or is there another injury and/or dead arm.  
    • I’m pretty happy with the A+/A pitchers.   In addition to the pitchers who I think are competitive for POY, there are some younger guys whose numbers or innings don’t put them in position for this award, but who have long term potential.  I don’t think anyone I listed has a super high ceiling but I do think some of them could be back of rotation starters or relievers on a future O’s team.  
    • You aren’t wrong but most tickets are sold before the season, so some of this doesn’t matter. In season sales are probably hurt some though.
    • And btw, I’m not saying you try to field a team that is only made of players 25 years old or younger…you need some vets…but get good ones. If you are going to block these kids, who are really talented, block them with players that are actual difference makers.    I know they were hamstrung by Angelos and that hurt obviously but you could have done more with what you had imo.
  • Popular Contributors