David Rubenstein 2024

New Rubenstein updates in the Sun this morning:

Rubenstein’s group will soon own 97% of the Orioles.  The prior minority had tag-along rights and almost all have decided to sell (not surprising as change in control is only time you get true market value). It’s not known which minority owners decided to hold on to their shares.

Rubenstein reiterated that Elias is the best GM in baseball.

Unlike John Angelos, Rubenstein won’t serve as the everyday CEO on the business side.  They are actively recruiting for the role and have retained a search firm.

Stadium upgrades could include a modern scoreboard, more premium seating near the field, additional restaurants, and an improved clubhouse.

Rubenstein frequently signs autographs with the date and people tell him to stop being such a lawyer.

• Thanks 3

Posted (edited)
40 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Rubenstein’s group will soon own 97% of the Orioles.  The prior minority had tag-along rights and almost all have decided to sell (not surprising as change in control is only time you get true market value). It’s not known which minority owners decided to hold on to their shares.

Unlike John Angelos, Rubenstein won’t serve as the everyday CEO on the business side.  They are actively recruiting for the role and have retained a search firm.

Stadium upgrades could include a modern scoreboard, more premium seating near the field, additional restaurants, and an improved clubhouse.

Rubenstein frequently signs autographs with the date and people tell him to stop being such a lawyer.

I’d love to see a total redo of the concessions. The food for the most part sucks. The concessions are ridiculously priced for the offering both in quality and portion. I know they have discounts and stuff for “Birdland Memberships” season ticket plans. My company has tickets but there isn’t anyway to bestow the discounts to the folks using the tickets. Just price the stuff fairly to begin with an quit all of the game playing. Plus the plan is owned out of the corporate office which means no one can get the perk. I feel like I’m at Kohls with my wife leveraging Kohls Cash to get a fair price for something.

Edited by Roll Tide
  • Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

Notably nothing about seeking extensions.  There is no reason he can’t go on the record re wanting this. 

Just now, baltfan said:

To cater to the fans.  Same reason you talk about these other things.  What’s the downside. 

Having a "Gotcha" moment if you don't sign anyone.

I'd rather they promise less and deliver more.

But hey, at least he's not complaining about how he'll have to raise prices to keep anyone!

• Upvote 2

Just now, baltfan said:

Notably nothing about seeking extensions.  There is no reason he can’t go on the record re wanting this. 

Extensions are the GM’s department.  I’m sure he and Elias will discuss it, if they haven already, but DR is going to let his baseball guys make the baseball decisions.   Does he really need to publicly say he’d like Gunnar to be an Oriole past his normal service time?

Under promise and over deliver.

What do you want him to say?

18 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Having a "Gotcha" moment if you don't sign anyone.

I'd rather they promise less and deliver more.

But hey, at least he's not complaining about how he'll have to raise prices to keep anyone!

It’s not a gotcha moment.  It’s a declaration of intention.  It makes the players look worse if they don’t engage. Otherwise, management is blamed. 

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Extensions are the GM’s department.  I’m sure he and Elias will discuss it, if they haven already, but DR is going to let his baseball guys make the baseball decisions.   Does he really need to publicly say he’d like Gunnar to be an Oriole past his normal service time?

Under promise and over deliver.

What do you want him to say?

I want him to say they would love to look into extensions for some of the young players.  He need say nothing more. I would think that would be a priority. 

3 minutes ago, baltfan said:

It’s not a gotcha moment.  It’s a declaration of intention.  It makes the players look worse if they don’t engage. Otherwise, management is blamed. 

I guarantee you anything he said about extensions would be brought up when player X was traded away or allowed to walk.

Steinbrenner just say they were going to negotiate with Soto/Boras. Soto replied his door is always open. It’s not going to hurt Steinbrenner one bit to declare they are working hard on resigning him. Whether it gets done or not.

22 minutes ago, baltfan said:

I want him to say they would love to look into extensions for some of the young players.  He need say nothing more. I would think that would be a priority. 

That's worthless without, you know, an actual extension. 

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

To cater to the fans.  Same reason you talk about these other things.  What’s the downside. 

Creating expectations that may not be fulfilled.  Putting unwanted pressure on your GM, who has resolutely declined to discuss extensions except in the most general way imaginable (“it’s something we look at but I don’t discuss it in public”).