David Rubenstein 2024

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Winning does.  The O’s win the World Series and I won’t give a crap if he’s spent.   But if we don’t retain any of our young stars, eventually that will catch up with him.  Not a 2024 issue though.  

100%. 

Just win.

Melewski.

New owner David Rubenstein has agreed to be the “guest splasher” in section 86 for Friday night’s game against the Diamondbacks. He’s filling in for Mr. Splash, as promoted on the Orioles’ social media accounts.

13 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Melewski.

New owner David Rubenstein has agreed to be the “guest splasher” in section 86 for Friday night’s game against the Diamondbacks. He’s filling in for Mr. Splash, as promoted on the Orioles’ social media accounts.

It's like everything I've wanted in a ballclub and an owner at once.  Amazing.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It really is. That’s a big part of the reason I tend to call out overly negative threads and posts. How could anyone be anything less than over the moon these days about this entire organization, given what we’ve all been through as fans over the years?  It’s almost too good to be true. Bitching about Santander batting 4th in a lineup filled with studs (for example) is truly first world baseball problem stuff. I’m getting more and more used to living in the first world and I like it!

• Upvote 3

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

It’s gotta be extra fun to get hosed down by the club owner.  That will even be worth a few lol when watching on tv.

Loved the Rubensplash tweet as well.   This guy is after my heart.  lol

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

It’s gotta be extra fun to get hosed down by the club owner.  That will even be worth a few lol when watching on tv.

Only if you subscribe to AppleTV+

6 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Only if you subscribe to AppleTV+

Ouch. I’ll catch it on the mlb condensed or if they offer a full replay.  Looks like Gameday for me on Friday.

6 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

He seems like a great dude.

The thing is, all this stuff is cool while the team is playing well and the vibes are good.  But if the team starts to struggle, and it inevitably will at some point, then these sorts of things won't be as well-received.

I think it's fine to do these things now to connect with the fans but I think he would be wise to fade into the background eventually.

Honeymoon phase of sorts — he’s happy he bought the team, we’re happy he bought the team. My take is he going to fight the war on every front eventually. He’s already reaching into the community, already working on stadium improvements, already talked smack about beating the Yanks on social media — I personally think the dude is all in. I still don’t know what that means as far as money to be spent on the roster. I like how he is leaving the baseball decisions to Elias. 

I think I will feel even better when we hear about extensions or a high end need filled with a decent FA. 

In other words, I don’t see anything wrong with DR having fun with fans or trying to attract businesses to Baltimore. Because I think his care for the O’s is real. His love of the city, the team and the people. 

At some point, things will go wrong. It’s baseball. I just think he will not shy away on the tough days either. 

Does it help to have a sense of humor and a good attitude to own a team? Maybe.

I do think it helps DR grew up and ditched class a few times to watch the Birds.

• Upvote 1

D. R. is our owner now and I'm enjoying the first chapter. Quite a different novel. Who knows what the next chapters will be? My read will continue with the hope he always allows the professionals to run the organization. I'm betting he will allow for a more competative payroll. It will disappoint me if he doesn't. How that translates into extensions and/or free agents - we can only wish and hope. There are too many variables in that market for guarentees. But to be blunt, I will not judge D.R. solely on money spent because how the organization is run is more important to me. 

• Upvote 1