David Rubenstein 2024

19 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s an hilarious promo.  Whoever is writing these is doing a great job.  

A promo writer can really only be as bold as the person on the other side of the camera. It’s a blast what the Boss is willing to say or do — which to me, shows DR is all about enjoying his time owning the team. 

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

That’s an hilarious promo.  Whoever is writing these is doing a great job.  

It’s the idea.   The rest is easy.  Here’s my pitch for another one.

Santander comes into Rubenstein’s office angry, with Brandon Quinones, and complaining about something (not a contract extension.   Although that would be funny) all in Spanish.  The actual translation would be in subtitles.  Rubenstein asks Quinones what he said.  Quinones trying to cover for Santander says something along the lines of “He just wanted to tell you what a great owner you are”.  Rubenstein closes by saying “Brandon, you are the best interpreter in the business.  Thank you.”  Quinones turns to Santander and says. “He said he’ll take care of it”.  Everyone smiles.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Hilarious.  If JA's publicity guy suggested something like this, there would be a public hanging on the flag court soon after.

• Haha 2

We use to call it Leadership By Walking Around. D.R. has taken it to a whole new level. The man has a passion for this team, and he definitely has a personality. It's great to have an owner I can admire and respect!!!!! What a breath of fresh air!!!!!

1 minute ago, baltfan said:

This will all be great if he spends.  Otherwise it is just a guy looking to get some fame from his purchase of the team like Bill Veeck but not near as crazy. 

It’s also not as funny if the team is losing but so far so good.

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, baltfan said:

This will all be great if he spends.  Otherwise it is just a guy looking to get some fame from his purchase of the team like Bill Veeck but not near as crazy. 

lol. Big credit for using Veeck and Rubenstein in the same sentence.   This group has one goal.  And that’s to win a World Series. The resources are there - but one shouldn’t expect to be blown away by spending in the first 60 days of ownership.  

3 hours ago, Orioles West said:

I think DR has already shaken more hands and done more fan photos since March than PA ever did.  DR is approaching ownership like a fan, because he’s doing what I would do if I had the money to buy a team. I wasn’t sure he was going to leave the MASN broadcast booth on Opening Day, he was having fun talking O’s history with Jim Palmer!

A low key great part of that was when Rubenstein just kept the remembering some guys stories from childhood rolling about Gus Triandos, and even Palmer had to kind of tap out because Triandos was gone before Palmer arrived.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

A low key great part of that was when Rubenstein just kept the remembering some guys stories from childhood rolling about Gus Triandos, and even Palmer had to kind of tap out because Triandos was gone before Palmer arrived.

He surprised Palmer more than once with his early fan memories, and I hadn't ever seen that before. I think Cakes is used to being a primary source for ancient Birds' lore and it was fascinating to see the expressions on his face as DR walked down memory lane.

1 hour ago, baltfan said:

My feelings exactly. I will be excited to see what his future contributions to the team will be other than weekly ad.

6 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

My feelings exactly. I will be excited to see what his future contributions to the team will be other than weekly ad.

I'd honestly be happy with an owner whose most note-worthy actions are funny promo vids. Would be a welcome change from the prior regime.

Of course we'd love to see him increase payroll dramatically, but I don't expect that.

55 minutes ago, scottbbfm said:

lol. Big credit for using Veeck and Rubenstein in the same sentence.   This group has one goal.  And that’s to win a World Series. The resources are there - but one shouldn’t expect to be blown away by spending in the first 60 days of ownership.  

And I am not. I will give him a full year for evaluation. 

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

Maybe Rubes can organize a rendition of Disco Demolition but for Swiftie/Pop Music. ;)

• Upvote 1