David Rubenstein 2024

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

I want to be clear that I'm thrilled the guy is here. I know it's apparently impossible to have conflicting/nuanced opinions on the same topic these days, but it does happen. I think I can be excited about DR as well as skeptical until we see what he accomplishes. Seems like a reasonable position to have to me. I've been called both a pollyanna on this board as well as a negative nancy. Interesting. 

For me, when these social media posts come out, it only serves to remind me that nothing has really been done yet that we know of. So it reminds me, oh right, what's he working on right now? According to his broadcast booth appearance earlier in the year, we know he wants to work on MASN, the ground lease, and the stadium renovations. Wonderful. Can we get an update? 

That update would be words, not actions, and I get that that contradicts my "actions speak louder" thing. You got me there I guess. But something more in line with an official statement from DR on work being done would suffice as "action" for me right now. 

We traded for Burnes (presumably with Rubenstein's consent), and gave Holliday a chance to start his service clock. 

Just now, Tony-OH said:

What do you want him to properly update you on? The team is doing well, and we have an owner that actually cares about the past, the now, and the future. They're all good fun, but either way, not sure what you would expect him to update the fans on. He's not going to talk extensions though I heard Gunnar is the priority and they are working on one), stadium upgrades (doubt anything is decided yet) and the on field product is doing just fine. Anyways, in season, the only person(s) we should hear about the on field product is Elias and or Hyde.

Yeah I'm probably just being impatient and hasty here.

But to try and provide an answer to your question, I think one area I'm most curious about is MASN. There's a lot of unknowns there and a lot of people probably wondering if they'll have jobs next year. I could see him maybe talking about what his overall plan would be. But that might be premature too.

1 hour ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I give a year buffer before judging new owner, coach, GM in any circumstance. My initial report is the guy loves himself and the spotlight. He is also missing the tone of this fan base. We don’t need an owner taking spotlight from these players. Gunnar, Adley, Westburg, Cowser, Burnes are enough entertainment value on a nightly basis. Let’s get working on long term contracts, MASN fixed and stadium renovations going. I also say let’s look at tailgating for Thursday-Saturday.

And he may well be working on those things.   It takes time.   You aren't going to get a progress update on negotiations with players.   That would be a form of negotiating through the media, which is not a good thing to do.

And any plan to "fix" MASN has to be approached from the larger point of view of what is going to be the primary broadcast delivery system for baseball games as cable continues to shrink and how to go about getting to that point.    If you think having a new owner for a month is going to somehow improve camera work on a broadcast in May, then your expectations are way out of whack.   

And I'm sure they are working on a plan for stadium renovations and when the plan is complete there will be a big deal release about it, just as the Ravens had a few months back.   

Also, when you say "missing the tone of this fan base"... are you talking about the small percentage of the fans who comprise the OH message board community, or the fan base as a whole?   Even when there is a broad consensus here about something, like MASN sucks or Gary Thorne was great or Angel Hernandez should be fired or Ryan McKenna should be tied to a stake and covered with fire ants... that is here.   We are a TINY percentage of Oriole fans.   If you polled the entire Oriole fanbase with a question such as "Should the Orioles bring Trey Mancini back?", I'll bet 20-30% would answer yes.    So when you are talking about how he plays to the fan base, I think you are really talking to our tiny little corner of the fan base, and that we inflate our importance.   

1 hour ago, Mooreisbetter27 said:

Awful lot of grumpy fans for a team that is 19-10 and in first place in the East after beating the Yankees twice. 

I mean, you don't HAVE to watch these. Save yourself the torture, Interloper.

• Upvote 2

On 4/20/2024 at 4:12 PM, Going Underground said:

Bloomberg is on Comcasr. Doesn't get the rating of CNBC or FOX Financial Network.

Actual finance people watch Bloomberg, not CNBC or Fox business 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

I mean, you don't HAVE to watch these. Save yourself the torture, Interloper.

I want to know what the guy does, I'm gonna watch em. It's a cute promo! Just not really for me.

Acting like I said I hated it. I said it's eye rolly. Didn't realize that meant I was being tortured lol. So much exaggeration going on. 

Edited by interloper
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, interloper said:

He certainly has the casual fan tone down. Cal Ripken, Orioles Magic, etc. I know a lot of fans where this is really working for them, and it's probably a good business decision to tap into that subsect of fans. For me, it's a little eye-rolly. 

How are you improving the organization? That's all I care about. I'm confident he'll do good work. But you can miss me with the 80s callbacks. It's 2024 and it's a new brand of baseball in Baltimore. Show me the work. That's why everyone is excited about this ownership. 

And I've said from the beginning that I'm not just going to give DR a blanket pass simply because he's not Angelos. We have no idea if he will spend. We have no idea what he will or won't do. Again, I'm confident he will, but until he does something, ya know... actions speak louder than words/social media posts. 

Recapturing the casual fan's attention IS improving the organization. More butts in seats, more eyeballs on broadcasts, more clicks, social media interactions, etc, etc, etc. What appeals to the casual fan will always risk coming off a bit cringy to the die-hards; nothing he can do about that. This stuff won't ultimately determine how good an owner he turns out to be, you're right about that, but I take it as part of the process. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, deward said:

Recapturing the casual fan's attention IS improving the organization. More butts in seats, more eyeballs on broadcasts, more clicks, social media interactions, etc, etc, etc. What appeals to the casual fan will always risk coming off a bit cringy to the die-hards; nothing he can do about that. This stuff won't ultimately determine how good an owner he turns out to be, you're right about that, but I take it as part of the process. 

Good fair post. Agreed.

53 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Love it!!! It feels great as a fan and paying customer to have an owner who seems engaged and actually seems to care.

That’s exactly right.  That’s all I take from all of these things with him.  He gives a sh!t.  That’s enough for me, at least for now.  

Every reason for me to believe that he will do what is needed.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I want to know what the guy does, I'm gonna watch em. It's a cute promo! Just not really for me.

Acting like I said I hated it. I said it's eye rolly. Didn't realize that meant I was being tortured lol. So much exaggeration going on. 

Fair enough. Nuance is challenging dancing from a keyboard.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Yeah I'm probably just being impatient and hasty here.

But to try and provide an answer to your question, I think one area I'm most curious about is MASN. There's a lot of unknowns there and a lot of people probably wondering if they'll have jobs next year. I could see him maybe talking about what his overall plan would be. But that might be premature too.

Yeah, I think a lot of that is premature in my opinion. I get it though, there's some unknowns here, but I think it's too early to start expecting things from him and besides, I don't think most fans want to hear about "off field" stuff while the season is going on. 

He clearly has no issues being part of the fun promos, but he doesn't strike me as the call a press conference so he can virtue signal on a subject like JA would. Now, maybe he will become that, but I like that he's just acting like a big fan during the season, all the while I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes.

• Upvote 3

43 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I never can tell on this board. Sometimes when I think people are joking they are serious. And sometimes when I think people are serious they are joking. My apologies.

No apology necessary. :)

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I think a lot of that is premature in my opinion. I get it though, there's some unknowns here, but I think it's too early to start expecting things from him and besides, I don't think most fans want to hear about "off field" stuff while the season is going on. 

He clearly has no issues being part of the fun promos, but he doesn't strike me as the call a press conference so he can virtue signal on a subject like JA would. Now, maybe he will become that, but I like that he's just acting like a big fan during the season, all the while I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes.

One thing I'm certain of is we won't ever hear Rubenstein publicly lament about how much it's going to cost him to resign Adley or Gunnar like John Angelos did last season.

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s exactly right.  That’s all I take from all of these things with him.  He gives a sh!t.  That’s enough for me, at least for now.  

Every reason for me to believe that he will do what is needed.

went to my first Orioles game  since Angeloss fired Davey Johnson Saturday, wow forgot how beuitiful the Yard is, great time even with a loss,  I love me some Rubenstein and O’s.even bought some O’s gear from the team store, Proud of the O’s and ownership group, 

4 minutes ago, One eyed Bird said:

went to my first Orioles game  since Angeloss fired Davey Johnson Saturday, wow forgot how beuitiful the Yard is, great time even with a loss,  I love me some Rubenstein and O’s.even bought some O’s gear from the team store, Proud of the O’s and ownership group, 

They won Saturday. Did you mean Sunday?