David Rubenstein 2024

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Yeah, I think a lot of that is premature in my opinion. I get it though, there's some unknowns here, but I think it's too early to start expecting things from him and besides, I don't think most fans want to hear about "off field" stuff while the season is going on. 

He clearly has no issues being part of the fun promos, but he doesn't strike me as the call a press conference so he can virtue signal on a subject like JA would. Now, maybe he will become that, but I like that he's just acting like a big fan during the season, all the while I'm sure there are things going on behind the scenes.

This is how I see it. He's living the dream. Grew up in Baltimore and was able to get rich and buy his favorite team, which I will not deny I have imagined a million times. I would probably be doing the same thing with fun promos, going to the games, and just enjoying my new toys (while simultaneously having my team working in the background on the "big" items, which i'm certain is happening in parallel: stadium renovations, ground lease plans, MASN, etc.)...

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

And he may well be working on those things.   It takes time.   You aren't going to get a progress update on negotiations with players.   That would be a form of negotiating through the media, which is not a good thing to do.

And any plan to "fix" MASN has to be approached from the larger point of view of what is going to be the primary broadcast delivery system for baseball games as cable continues to shrink and how to go about getting to that point.    If you think having a new owner for a month is going to somehow improve camera work on a broadcast in May, then your expectations are way out of whack.   

And I'm sure they are working on a plan for stadium renovations and when the plan is complete there will be a big deal release about it, just as the Ravens had a few months back.   

Also, when you say "missing the tone of this fan base"... are you talking about the small percentage of the fans who comprise the OH message board community, or the fan base as a whole?   Even when there is a broad consensus here about something, like MASN sucks or Gary Thorne was great or Angel Hernandez should be fired or Ryan McKenna should be tied to a stake and covered with fire ants... that is here.   We are a TINY percentage of Oriole fans.   If you polled the entire Oriole fanbase with a question such as "Should the Orioles bring Trey Mancini back?", I'll bet 20-30% would answer yes.    So when you are talking about how he plays to the fan base, I think you are really talking to our tiny little corner of the fan base, and that we inflate our importance.   

I am talking about us having the 20th best attendance with a top 3 product on the field. I will reserve my judgement but to me there nothing has changed since the ownership takeover besides weekly promos by Rubenstein. Burnes was a 14 million dollar contract that was very similar to the one Kyle Gibson or Craig Kimbrel received. Jackson Holliday is still going to get super 2 status. Real changes would be 3$ hotdog night, 5 dollar beer night, 5$ student night. Bring the fans in at cost. The team deserves that.

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I am talking about us having the 20th best attendance with a top 3 product on the field. I will reserve my judgement but to me there nothing has changed since the ownership takeover besides weekly promos by Rubenstein. Burnes was a 14 million dollar contract that was very similar to the one Kyle Gibson or Craig Kimbrel received. Jackson Holliday is still going to get super 2 status. Real changes would be 3$ hotdog night, 5 dollar beer night, 5$ student night. Bring the fans in at cost. The team deserves that.

Have you been going to games this season? I have witnessed the up tick in butts in the seats from last season to this. We had 41,000 on a Sunday in April against the A's. 35,000 the Sunday home game prior to that against the Brewers. Those are teams are don't have any historical draw in and of themselves and don't bring many traveling fans with them.

I think we are doing quite well in terms of expect attendance increase so far this season. And there will be better things to come.

It's going to take a little time to climb out of the stench of the Angelos awfulness. 

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Have you been going to games this season? I have witnessed the up tick in butts in the seats from last season to this. We had 41,000 on a Sunday in April against the A's. 35,000 the Sunday home game prior to that against the Brewers. Those are teams are don't have any historical draw in and of themselves and don't bring many traveling fans with them.

I think we are doing quite well in terms of expect attendance increase so far this season. And there will be better things to come.

It's going to take a little time to climb out of the stench of the Angelos awfulness. 

Yes I’ve been to multiple games. I went this past Friday to the first Kimbrel debacle and I understand it’s Oakland but not much difference. Again I am reserving my judgement but also nothing has changed yet in my eyes. Friday night, best team in the AL, should net you more than low 20,000 fans by my estimation.

3 hours ago, interloper said:

It's pretty interesting how many fans really are just content with a simple vibe change from Angelos. The vibe change is nice! I'll agree on that. 

But... come on. DR will get his flowers when they're warranted, and not before. Don't know what's wrong with that kind of thinking. I'm not hating on the guy. Just not gonna be a pollyanna about him before he's even done anything. 

Why does everything have to mean something beyond just enjoying himself? Or your weird comments about Cal everytime he's mentioned? It's baseball. It's entertainment and nothing more in the grand scheme of life. 

He's already said and I assume done the most important thing since taking over ownership... letting everyone know that Mike Elias is in charge and he feels like he's one of the best GM's in all of baseball. That's really enough for the first month of ownership. He could have came in and reeked havoc on the whole team by wanting his own guy in there.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Bro, how can you not like that?

It's silly, it's fun.  It's an attempt to tie in the good feelings of the past with the good feelings of the present.  

Yeah, just a promo thing for the heck of it, why not?

Yeah, I got a kick out of the Cal’s Desk and this one too.  They’re fun.  

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Definitely.  Glad to see the new ownership isn't averse to having some fun.

I definitely do appreciate that about him. Trying to reign in my impatience here a bit after only 1 month of ownership. I see the Bird work those sliders though and I'm like... is this about the sound system?? Jim told him point blank on the broadcast that he needs to upgrade the audio lol. I have no doubt he will. 

Next promo will be with Roch or KB or something and I'm gonna be like, is this a hint about MASN?? I guess it's kind of impossible for me to escape reading into everything he does. Just jacked up about the potential of what this new ownership group can do. 

Edited by interloper

1 minute ago, interloper said:

I definitely do appreciate that about him. Trying to reign in my impatience here a bit after only 1 month of ownership. I see the Bird work those sliders though and I'm like... is this about the sound system?? Jim told him point blank on the broadcast that he needs to upgrade the audio lol. I have no doubt he will. 

Next promo will be with Roch or KB or something and I'm gonna be like, is this a hint about MASN?? I guess it's kind of impossible for me to escape reading into everything he does. Just jacked up about the potential of what this new ownership group can do. 

Haha yeah you're gonna drive yourself crazy reading into everything.

Just now, Malike said:

I'm late to the thread and didn't get to read all of it. So, do we hate Rubenstein now? Asking for a friend.

We all like the guy. 

I got cranky and impatient and called these videos eye-rolly. 

Everyone yelled at me.

Then I acknowledged I was being impatient and I'm just eager to see what the guy can accomplish. 

Lol. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

Just now, interloper said:

We all like the guy. 

I got cranky and impatient and called these videos eye-rolly. 

Everyone yelled at me.

Then I acknowledged I was being impatient and I'm just eager to see what the guy can accomplish. 

Lol. 

Appreciate the honest summary!