Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

2 minutes ago, G54377 said:

I think he stays in to start until Wells/Means are back and will replace whoever is stinking in the pen if necessary at that point.

You would have to think after today's performance Suarez is getting another start with Wells out. Maybe today was a one time deal or maybe Suarez is another success story from the Orioles pitching lab.

I want this guy in my bullpen eventually, assuming he gets bounced by Means, Wells, or Bradish. Too electric to not at least try him there. I don't think every start from him will look like today's. The Twins stink and he had adrenaline going. But man, if you can harness his 1st inning and put that in your bullpen, that's huge. 

Don’t get a ton of free time these days with a 6 month old at home but made it out to the Yard today and that was a lot of fun.

Hats off to Suarez; great performance in the emergency starting role. He’s definitely going to get another start with the way he pitched this afternoon.

• Upvote 3
  • Like 1

In an era when every pitcher is chasing vertical “rise” on their fastballs, typically by back spinning it as much as possible (which also reduces horizontal movement), the four seamer Suárez throws has to throw hitters for a loop. It has all the arm side run of a sinker, but it doesn’t sink. Suárez did a great job living with it at the top of the zone and it was super effective there.

Ben MacDonald on the broadcast kept comparing it to Grayson’s fastball and that is definitely a good comparison, but it looked like Suárez was getting even better horizontal run than even Grayson does. 

• Upvote 1

You have to think that having no real MLB scouting report must have benefited Suarez greatly, especially coming out firing bullets as he did. I doubt he can keep / repeat this success, but what an amazing start for him. Great to hear the ovation he got as he left in the 6th. Well earned.

• Upvote 1

This is the first time I've seen him pitch.  To be honest I wasn't expecting much but he was just dialed in.  He has a solid, compact, delivery and I like the way he works up in the zone.  He made good pitches and his command was outstanding.  Can't wait to see if he can keep this up!

• Upvote 1

He earned another start for sure, but I'm not going to get overly excited about a 34-year-old with 120 ML innings pitched in a 17-year career. He was awesome today and fun to watch, though.

Edited by Malike
  • Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, yark14 said:

It might have been brought up in other places on this board, but his post-game interview was incredible.  Truly a grateful man that has worked his tail off to be where he is.  I bet he and Yennier Cano can sit for hours and swap stories about how they got to where they are now.

Great find. Comes across as an easy guy to root for. Hope we find a way to keep him around and he continues to perform. 

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, InsideCoroner said:

You have to think that having no real MLB scouting report must have benefited Suarez greatly, especially coming out firing bullets as he did. I doubt he can keep / repeat this success, but what an amazing start for him. Great to hear the ovation he got as he left in the 6th. Well earned.

100 percent agree, first time thru was almost all 4 seam fastballs that looked like 2 seamers because they had so much run to them. Agree with the narrative that he will play better in the pen, only need 2 pitches vs 3 or 4 as a starter

• Upvote 1