Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

13 minutes ago, Jagwar said:

Getting some 2012 Miguel Gonzales vibes from Suarez. Different types of pitchers, but both essentially came out of nowhere to log important innings with great results. 

Good comp. I see a lot of Daniel Cabrera from Suarez. A bigger guy with a real heavy fastball with heat and movement. 

Cabrera ending up not living up to his potential, but for a minute it was fun dream of a 1-2 with him and bedard as lethal TOR starters. 

6 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

The way he's pitched it will be difficult to move him to the pen when one of Wells, Bradish or Means comes back. 

Remove Bradish and I will maybe agree. To me this guy is destined for the pen, where hopefully his swing and miss stuff plays up even more. Could be an important piece, but I’m not getting my hopes up too far after two appearances.

6 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

The way he's pitched it will be difficult to move him to the pen when one of Wells, Bradish or Means comes back. 

I don’t see Wells coming back to the rotation. That was never the plan to begin with. Also, I’m not sure it’s a given that Means can make effective starts at the Bug League level right now. He’s been legit terrible against AAA hitters on a pretty consistent basis so far this season. Now Bradish on the other hand, if he can return, he will probably bump one of Suarez or Irvin to the pen (the one who is pitching the worse). 

If Suarez keeps performing (I don’t think his current level is realistic to expect) but at a good level for a back end starter, he stays.

• Haha 2

Suárez has a nasty pitch mix going right now. He’s getting a ton of horizontal movement arm side on his fastball. A ton of horizontal movement arm side on his Change Up then he can throw the cutter for movement to glove side. 

Enjoy the ride. Great for Suárez and the team. 

It’s a good problem to have. We could see Akin/Tate optioned with Ramirez/Baumann DFA’d if be. Wells also can be optioned. 

In the next 10-14 days we could see,

Bradish up. Tate to AAA.

Means up. Akin to AAA.

Wells up. Ramirez DFA

SP - Burnes, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Suarez

BP - Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Webb, Baumann, Wells, Irvin, Means

If everyone is healthy. We may have to see this because of options. 

My guess is, teams will figure out Suárez eventually.  But I’m going to enjoy the ride in the meantime.   And I’d gladly see him in the bullpen in place of Baumann.  This guy at least knows how to pitch.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, Frobby said:

My guess is, teams will figure out Suárez eventually.  But I’m going to enjoy the ride in the meantime.   And I’d gladly see him in the bullpen in place of Baumann.  This guy at least knows how to pitch.  

Suarez definitely has a plan up there. Changes if the ball is moving in or out. Changes speeds and eye level. He’s also a good weapon to ride right now because the league is essentially getting a first look at him. 

On 4/18/2024 at 3:17 PM, Malike said:

I've looked at all of his stats throughout his 17-year career. I'm going to remain dubious that a 34-year-old with a track record hasn't just figured it out and will pitch lights out at the MLB level. We've seen this a thousand times, enjoy the start, the odds of it being sustainable are not 0 but they are not good in my opinion.

I think the difference here is we see the whiffs on the stuff. That's a great sign for continual success. I don't expect him to keep throwing up zeros for entire starts of course, but I do like the stuff. It's really going to come down to whether his command holds up. 

Gotta like what we see so far.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah Baumann's whole thing is really getting old at this point.  

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Suárez has a nasty pitch mix going right now. He’s getting a ton of horizontal movement arm side on his fastball. A ton of horizontal movement arm side on his Change Up then he can throw the cutter for movement to glove side. 

Enjoy the ride. Great for Suárez and the team. 

It’s a good problem to have. We could see Akin/Tate optioned with Ramirez/Baumann DFA’d if be. Wells also can be optioned. 

In the next 10-14 days we could see,

Bradish up. Tate to AAA.

Means up. Akin to AAA.

Wells up. Ramirez DFA

SP - Burnes, GR, Bradish, Kremer, Suarez

BP - Kimbrel, Cano, Coloumbe, Webb, Baumann, Wells, Irvin, Means

If everyone is healthy. We may have to see this because of options. 

Hopefully cionel Perez is back in the not too distant future as well, though with obliques you never know. I imagine Baumann would be the next one in line for a dfa. 

I’d hope we’d dfa Ramirez before optioning two arms throwing better than Ramirez in Akin and Tate. 

I can’t really see means going to the bp….his stuff isn’t especially suited to it. Though if Suarez is pitching THIS well you can’t move him to the pen either. Good problem to have, as you said.