Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

17 minutes ago, Say O! said:

Back to Suarez…

• Loved how it seemed the managerial staff and teammates were thrilled for Albert.  Several spoke of how impressed they were of him as a person, making a positive impression during the Spring on how appreciative and humble Albert was for another shot at MLB opportunity.  Gotta root for guys like him.
  • His combo of 96mph velocity and horizontal riding movement on the fastball was fun to watch yesterday.  While he did sprinkle in a curveball and changeup, he was 63% 4 seamer and 23% cutter yesterday.  Can that basically 2 pitch mix play as SP over the long-term?  Even if doesn’t stick as a SP, feels like Suarez could be a factor in the BP, whether MIRP or leverage SIRP.
  • He’s a bit of unique case, with only 1yr MLB service time and long INTL gap.  So how does his service time factor for future years?  Essentially arb/pre-arb meaning the O’s retain rights for several more years?  

It was a great story and rightfully, everyone should have been thrilled for him and he does indeed seem like an awesome human being. That said, if his two-pitch mix could play, he wouldn't have spent the brunt of his career pitching in Asia and would have logged more than 120 ML innings.

I know we all want lightning in a bottle here, but enjoy what he did, history shows he won't sustain it over a season.

Edited by Malike

10 minutes ago, Malike said:

It was a great story and rightfully, everyone should have been thrilled for him and does indeed seem like an awesome human being. That said, if his two-pitch mix could play, he wouldn't have spent the brunt of his career pitching in Asia and would have logged more than 120 ML innings.

I know we all want lightning in a bottle here, but enjoy what he did, history shows he won't sustain it over a season.

I would counter that he’s a different guy than prior MLB and KBO.  The O’s pitching lab got him a few more MPH and movement on the fastball and tweaked slider into more of a cutter.  Seems that is at minimum solid RP option given the whiff rates.  Fangraphs has historical info from MLB and KBO, screen capped here:

image.thumb.png.a19ebecccafe4e6054b863cfe4e7d6a4.png

Just now, Say O! said:

I would counter that he’s a different guy than prior MLB and KBO.  The O’s pitching lab got him a few more MPH and movement on the fastball and tweaked slider into more of a cutter.  Seems that is at minimum solid RP option given the whiff rates.  Fangraphs has historical info from MLB and KBO, screen capped here:

image.thumb.png.a19ebecccafe4e6054b863cfe4e7d6a4.png

I've looked at all of his stats throughout his 17-year career. I'm going to remain dubious that a 34-year-old with a track record hasn't just figured it out and will pitch lights out at the MLB level. We've seen this a thousand times, enjoy the start, the odds of it being sustainable are not 0 but they are not good in my opinion.

11 minutes ago, Malike said:

It was a great story and rightfully, everyone should have been thrilled for him and does indeed seem like an awesome human being. That said, if his two-pitch mix could play, he wouldn't have spent the brunt of his career pitching in Asia and would have logged more than 120 ML innings.

Was he throwing 96 with movement in his previous big league stint? 

Sometimes these guys find velocity later in their career and become completely different pitchers, a la Charlie Morton

Just now, ChuckS said:

Sometimes these guys find velocity later in their career and become completely different pitchers, a la Charlie Morton

You're right, once in a blue moon, it happens. Maybe we've found our new ace. Time will tell.

20 minutes ago, Malike said:

I've looked at all of his stats throughout his 17-year career. I'm going to remain dubious that a 34-year-old with a track record hasn't just figured it out and will pitch lights out at the MLB level. We've seen this a thousand times, enjoy the start, the odds of it being sustainable are not 0 but they are not good in my opinion.

Yeah, but he hasn't come across SIGBOT until now.

Your move.

19 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

He allowed 19 hits in 15 AAA innings just prior to being called up yesterday. I assume he had 96 with movement last week.

There is a middle ground between being the pitcher he was his whole career and being a lockdown starter for the Orioles.

1.  The velocity (95-97) is something he never showed before.  Whether you buy into the why of it or not.

2.  We saw what he did to the Phillies in ST.

3. In one AAA start this year he threw 6 2-hit shutout innings

4. We saw what he did yesterday.

5. When he’s on, he’s good.

6. How often will he be on and can he consistently go 5 or 5+ innings?

7. I’m skeptical but we’re going to find out

8. That arm and even if it’s a 2 pitch mix (I thought I saw fastball/cutter/changeup) plays in the bullpen.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

He allowed 19 hits in 15 AAA innings just prior to being called up yesterday. I assume he had 96 with movement last week.

Yes that’s been established. What about my point are you arguing exactly?

8 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Yes that’s been established. What about my point are you arguing exactly?

DirtyBird happens to be a great evaluator.  He called for Gunnar Henderson to be sent down all April and May last year, started a Cedric is not good anymore 4th outfielder thread on April 1, and said Santander was an automatic out going into Tuesdays game.  With his track record I’d find the odds on Albert Suarez finishing top ten in the Cy Young voting and bet the house.  😃

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, DirtyBird said:

I’m going to take 19 hits in 15 IP with a grain of salt.

Obviously it doesn’t look good on the stat page, but for all I know, the majority of those could’ve been weak contact that found holes.  His BABIP was .378.  Maybe you or someone that watched his outings can clarify.

I’m much more interested in his K/BB ratio and HRs, all of which were very solid.