Albert Suarez 2024

Tony-OH

He’s averaging less than 5 IP/start. That’s fine when his ERA was closer to 3, but he has a 4.40 ERA since returning to the rotation, while facing an extremely weak set of lineups in that timeframe (1 start against a top 10 offense and 2 against teams in the top 16 in runs per game). He’s just not good enough. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Well now that Suarez has turned back into a pumpkin, we need TWO competent starters, and Povich isn’t one.

So what now?

Likely we're going to see McDermott get a start possibly tomorrow. Problem is he might not be ready yet either. Elias needs to target a veteran pitcher who won't cost as much in draft capital in edition to a starter with multiple years of control.

I would bet against seeing two starting pitcher acquired at the trade deadline with the bullpen also needing multiple arms.

31 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

You need 1…2 is a potential luxury.

You need three solid guys for the playoffs. But you need FOUR solid guys to get there. Right now, we have Two. Kremer is a coin flip, and Suarez, God Bless Him, has come to Earth. He may not even be a bullpen piece. So every week, we got Burnes, G-Rod, and three games relying on prayer and fasting. Not gonna work.

Four solids means only one day of chicken sacrifices. But only two means bad things, and we know that without reading the entrails.

We need two. 

34 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Likely we're going to see McDermott get a start possibly tomorrow. Problem is he might not be ready yet either. Elias needs to target a veteran pitcher who won't cost as much in draft capital in edition to a starter with multiple years of control.

I would bet against seeing two starting pitcher acquired at the trade deadline with the bullpen also needing multiple arms.

If Suarez returns to the bullpen you don't need as much bullpen help.  

Just now, HowAboutThat said:

You need three solid guys for the playoffs. But you need FOUR solid guys to get there. Right now, we have Two. Kremer is a coin flip, and Suarez, God Bless Him, has come to Earth. He may not even be a bullpen piece. So every week, we got Burnes, G-Rod, and three games relying on prayer and fasting. Not gonna work.

Four solids means only one day of chicken sacrifices. But only two means bad things, and we know that without reading the entrails.

We need two. 

Kremer is fine as a 4th option. 

Just now, Three Run Homer said:

If Suarez returns to the bullpen you don't need as much bullpen help.  

That assumes he’s going to be good.

The Os should acquire 2 high leverage relievers, with or without Suarez…and then DC is back and now the pen looks legit.

Just now, Sports Guy said:

That assumes he’s going to be good.

The Os should acquire 2 high leverage relievers, with or without Suarez…and then DC is back and now the pen looks legit.

DC isn’t back til sometime in September, and no guarantee he’ll be as good as he was. Even if he is, he’ll only affect 15-18 games or so.

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

DC isn’t back til sometime in September, and no guarantee he’ll be as good as he was. Even if he is, he’ll only affect 15-18 games or so.

Who cares?  All that matters is the playoffs. 

1 minute ago, HowAboutThat said:

Possibly. But he’s better as a 5th.

We need two good SPs. We aren’t going to get them, and I doubt we’ll even get one, but one can hope.

I think the O's will get at least one good SP prior to the deadline.  If they don't then Elias for the first time looks like he really dropped the ball -- in front of his new ownership bosses no less.  I wouldn't even mind bringing back Flaherty if top guys like Skuball can't be had.

6 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

Possibly. But he’s better as a 5th.

We need two good SPs. We aren’t going to get them, and I doubt we’ll even get one, but one can hope.

Crochet AND Fedde ='s Skubal value- even this year. Probably the same trade cost or close.   And we can transform the WS if they add Robert, Kopach and Brebbia. Crochet used as an opener until late August.

Mayo, Cowser, Beavers, McDermott, and Johnson"  with Bradfield and with 5 players to be named later from a list of our players not likely to be R5 protected.

The dream deal.

• Haha 1