Would you trade Kjerstad for an elite controlled reliever?

5 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

What would it cost to get luzardo and Scott in the same deal ? 

5 minutes ago, Orioles0615 said:

What would it cost to get luzardo and Scott in the same deal ? 

A lot.

Offer 1 :   Kjerstad, Norby, Bradfield, Akin

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather add one very good to great reliever than multiple mediocre relievers.  As we learned last year, adding mediocre relievers is often no improvement at all and can make the team worse.  I would want at least 3 years of control.  I know a lot of posters will say this is a serious overpay, but Kjerstad is quite limited defensively and it seems he will never be an adequate LF at Camden Yards.  He also seems unable at present to play a MLB 1B.  Feel free to add insight on whether this will change.  So we are basically looking at a RF/DH.  He's an O'Hearn replacement who can't handle 1B.  Ouch.  I think the bat would be great, but where do you play him if Mayo ends up at 1B and Adley needs DH at bats?

NAFC

Absolutely not. Elias not making any additions except Kimbrel to the bullpen, while trading DL Hall has to be the biggest mistake of the offseason. Now RP will be expensive in the trade market and we may have to make the unnecessary decision to give up assets at the deadline. 

10 hours ago, Aristotelian said:

I'd rather trade a lesser prospect for a guy with fewer years of control. We are going to need Kjerstad to replace Santander and/or O'Hearn

This feels like the path that Elias will take.  If there's an SP upgrade, then the odds increase.  

Keep the higher end talent for the long haul.  Supplement in the short term with the next tier.

1 minute ago, btdart20 said:

This feels like the path that Elias will take.  If there's an SP upgrade, then the odds increase.  

Keep the higher end talent for the long haul.  Supplement in the short term with the next tier.

And relief pitcher is one of the easiest spots to fill with the "plug a hole" strategy (and one of the most difficult to predict long term success). Of course even an Andrew Miller rental type could cost but I don't think I would do Kjerstad. 

6 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Absolutely not. Elias not making any additions except Kimbrel to the bullpen, while trading DL Hall has to be the biggest mistake of the offseason. Now RP will be expensive in the trade market and we may have to make the unnecessary decision to give up assets at the deadline. 

Hall's not looking too great at the moment.  4 starts, 16 IP, 7.71 ERA. 2.265 WHIP, -0.4 WAR.  As always, command is the issue.  Will that change if he returns to the bullpen?  Who knows, but trading him was hardly a mistake as it stands now.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, 24fps said:

Hall's not looking too great at the moment.  4 starts, 16 IP, 7.71 ERA. 2.265 WHIP, -0.4 WAR.  As always, command is the issue.  Will that change if he returns to the bullpen?  Who knows, but trading him was hardly a mistake as it stands now.

Milwaukee is also trying to make him a SP. He looked ready to add to last year’s improvement in the bullpen if kept in the same role. But bullpens are volatile. Who really knows. All the more reason to not trade legit power prospects for bullpen help. 

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I don't think he was saying that trading Hall was a mistake, just not getting another bullpen piece to replace him was.

I'll let him speak for himself, but that was my takeaway.

• Upvote 1

Like most others here, absolutely not.  We need him.

If the team decides to not short-term extend Santander, Kjerstad is the obvious replacement.  i don't see them getting rid of that flexibility for bullpen help.

Besides, we have other guys in the minors that would be more appropriate trade pieces for a reliever. 

28 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Well, we could have signed Robert Stephenson, Josh Hader, or even Ryan Brasier.   Who did you want?