Would you trade Kjerstad for an elite controlled reliever?

11 minutes ago, OsFanInOhio said:

It would depend on how elite said reliever is. In an ideal world you use him to go get someone like luzardo instead (with a bigger package around him rather than mayo / basallo) but if you get to the deadline and the guardians are selling and you can get clase for another 2.5 years cost controlled and that feels like the missing piece….id consider it. 

Consider it?  Clase is probably the best reliever in baseball an not a free agent until 2027 - unless two $10 million options are picked up, then it's 2029.  Elias would - and should - make that deal the very second he stopped drooling.

9 minutes ago, 24fps said:

Consider it?  Clase is probably the best reliever in baseball a not a free agent until 2027 - unless two $10 million options are picked up, then it's 2029.  Elias would - and should - make that deal the very second he stopped drooling.

I was being a little sarcastic with that bit. Kjersted wouldn’t get clase by himself anyway. More the point being that I’d consider trading just about anyone depending on the return.

Yes, a reliever might seem silly to deal a top 100 prospect for to some, but for the right reliever it could be well worth it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Maybe there is a disconnect with how I see Kjerstad. But I do envision him developing into a reliable middle of the order power bat with the potential to drive in 100 RBI and 40 home runs during his peak seasons.

The OP stipulates an elite reliever which to my thinking is an established reliever.  Clase was suggested and that is an appropriate suggestion IMO in terms of the top tier.  Kjerstad is still a prospect, so the acquiring team would be taking on risk that the potential actually translates to the ML level.  Sadly Holliday's current struggles show us that's a genuine concern.

Cleveland is 15-6, they aren't trading Clase or any of their best players.  

The O's will have to trade with teams out of the playoff race, and there aren't as many as there used to be with more teams getting in the postseason. 

Luzardo has not been good at all so far this year, and I doubt Miami sells low on him.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather add one very good to great reliever than multiple mediocre relievers.  As we learned last year, adding mediocre relievers is often no improvement at all and can make the team worse.  I would want at least 3 years of control.  I know a lot of posters will say this is a serious overpay, but Kjerstad is quite limited defensively and it seems he will never be an adequate LF at Camden Yards.  He also seems unable at present to play a MLB 1B.  Feel free to add insight on whether this will change.  So we are basically looking at a RF/DH.  He's an O'Hearn replacement who can't handle 1B.  Ouch.  I think the bat would be great, but where do you play him if Mayo ends up at 1B and Adley needs DH at bats?

You'd have to give me the name of the reliever before I could answer that question. If the guy is prime Mariano or Dennis Eckersley (or 2023 Félix Bautista) then I'd make that trade. But who's that guy right now? 

If you want a deal with the devil, Chapman is the guy.  Yes, he is no longer elite but twice he has been traded for a tea, to win it all. Cubs got him for Torres and won. Rangers got him for Ragans and won.  Flags fly forever but steep prices. 

8 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would rather add one very good to great reliever than multiple mediocre relievers.  As we learned last year, adding mediocre relievers is often no improvement at all and can make the team worse.  I would want at least 3 years of control.  I know a lot of posters will say this is a serious overpay, but Kjerstad is quite limited defensively and it seems he will never be an adequate LF at Camden Yards.  He also seems unable at present to play a MLB 1B.  Feel free to add insight on whether this will change.  So we are basically looking at a RF/DH.  He's an O'Hearn replacement who can't handle 1B.  Ouch.  I think the bat would be great, but where do you play him if Mayo ends up at 1B and Adley needs DH at bats?

Who replaces Santander next year? 

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We're not going to get Burnes for a package headed by Ortiz...

8 hours ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

We're not going to get Burnes for a package headed by Ortiz...

One year of control vs three, not that makes any difference

7 hours ago, O's84 said:

I wonder if Elias would have gone after Hader in FA if JA hadn't owned the team then.

I wonder how the Hangout would be reacting to Haders 0-2 record 1 blown save and his 8.38 ERA. 9 runs, 11 hits, and 5 walks, in 9.1 innings.   Just a bad start but can you imagine the panic?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1