Kjerstad Joining Team

36 minutes ago, interloper said:

While this makes plenty of sense while Mounty is banged up, I'd probably rather have Mounty hit vs RHP once he's healthy? He's been so good against basically everybody and you don't have to worry about any adjustment period. Highest OBP on the team, great defense. 

I just don't see how this will be a permanent arrangement. Feels more 40-man based than anything. Which is fine! Use the insane depth.

I wonder if Kjerstad sticks for a while when Holliday goes down. Then bring up Norby to restore the R/L balance. So it's essentially Hays and Holliday for Kjerstad and Norby.

Either way this feels like an opportunity to give a deserving prospect some AB's. Even if he takes some AB's from the starters they need to rest occasionally over 162 anyway. While he is here, carrying Kjerstad can allow Adley to get full rest when McCann starts, plus get Santander and Mountcastle one day a week etc.

29 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG's been off and on pushing it.  I dunno how I feel about it.  I think he's gotta produce before getting a nickname though.

"The J is silent, the bat is not!"

--Kevin Brown, soon

• Haha 4

18 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You don’t downgrade Mayo because of the defense? Or do you think that the plus arm will allow him to play in RF?

No..I think he can play third at this level but he’s on the wrong team to do it. I think he can play first and will be fine in RF. Big dude but moves well. Solid athlete with a rocket arm.

I think he has a higher upside with the bat vs Cowser and while Cowser may have an edge defensively, I think Mayo beats him out.

27 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

SG's been off and on pushing it.  I dunno how I feel about it.  I think he's gotta produce before getting a nickname though.

I seem to recall Kjerstad sporting gear emblazoned with Silent J during spring training; I think he's had the nickname since college.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, interloper said:

This is great but not exactly the easiest guy to get into this lineup right now. Should be interesting.

He's going to play.And maybe play a lot. The Orioles didnt bring him up to sit.And he showed glimpses of power and hitting ability even last year. He only had 30 at bats. He may get more this time.

2 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Most people have Mayo over Cowser.  

Before Cowser lost his “prospect status”, wasn’t he higher rated on many top 100 lists (at his peak prospect status) than Mayo is now?

I just had a slight curiosity. But 

I don’t want to spend a lot of time going back and forth about who’s better between the 2. Because that’s not how I fan. They both can be wonderful and I can appreciate both as individuals. As I am rooting for both to do well as Baltimore Orioles, regardless of who is “better”.

Just now, Bemorewins said:

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the tidbit!

I actually think it’s on the strap that keeps the guard in place.  That’s the first time I saw it.  I’m not creative enough to actually come up with it on my own. 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Before Cowser lost his “prospect status”, wasn’t he higher rated on many top 100 lists (at his peak prospect status) than Mayo is now?

I just had a slight curiosity. But 

I don’t want to spend a lot of time going back and forth about who’s better between the 2. Because that’s not how I fan. They both can be wonderful and I can appreciate both as individuals. As I am rooting for both to do well as Baltimore Orioles, regardless of who is “better”.

The MLB.com list has had Cowser higher…but they are basically the only one over the last year or so.

Most have felt Cowser is a top 30-50 guy (although Law and FG didn’t rank him) but now most have Mayo as a top 25 guy.  Some even have him top 10.

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m sure Banelos is loving this mlb time and pay. Plus the food per diem each day. 

There's also eligibility for pension and the group health plan.  Even though the benefit for players with very little service time sometimes gets overstated, it's not a small thing.