Kjerstad Joining Team

9 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is starting to happen.  Love to see it.

I want to go back to something I have been saying for a while…the Os have a lot of solid vet bats but none of them should be viewed as everyday guys.  I happen to believe that if healthy, Mounty is going to have a career year but I think we need to look at these guys as 300-550 at bats guys…not 500+ for all of them(talking the vets here).

By doing that, the young guys get enough playing time to justify being here. 

And we also can make a trade or 2 as the season goes on, especially to get Mayo here.

There is nothing wrong with this approach. It allows you to have your depth, keep everyone fresh and develop your young talent all at the same time.

While it certainly makes sense, I don’t see it happening. Santander has played almost every day even while his bat was running cold. Mullins and mountcastle as well. Hyde values veteran presence and hard to argue with the results so far this year.

As for Mayo and Kjerstad, the only way I envision them seeing consistent playing time is if they let Santander walk this year, and trade one of RMC/Urias in the offseason. Highly unlikely Elias trades anyone from the lineup during the season 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

As I said, someone(s) has to go. 

Over the next few years, you also enter Mayo and Basallo into the picture.

Mayo is reportedly shagging fly balls now. They are working on him in the OF.  Only a matter of time before he’s in games. But he will play first some and DH some. Basallo will as well.

Both have a talent advantage over silent J,  Cowser, Stowers, Norby, Beavers, etc…

So, some kind of move(s) will need to be made. It’s not a matter of if, it’s when. 

You think that Mayo is better/more talented player than Cowser?

Also, who’s J?

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Also, who’s J?

Silent J is Kjerstad.  I agree on Cowser.  He’s got some weaknesses at the plate but not sure I’d call Mayo more talented.  How can people keep underestimating Cowser’s power, plus he’s a plus corner OF and is average to above average in all 5 tools.

12 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

While it certainly makes sense, I don’t see it happening. Santander has played almost every day even while his bat was running cold. Mullins and mountcastle as well. Hyde values veteran presence and hard to argue with the results so far this year.

As for Mayo and Kjerstad, the only way I envision them seeing consistent playing time is if they let Santander walk this year, and trade one of RMC/Urias in the offseason. Highly unlikely Elias trades anyone from the lineup during the season 

I agree with every word of this post. 

And to be clear, the guys I really think should see a drastic drop in at bats would be OHearn and Hays.  Mounty and Santander would still be 500+ guys but maybe not 600+.

It also means that Adley gets less DH time, which I think should be happening anyway.

The wild card in this is Mullins. The bottom line is I want him in the lineup everyday because he’s our only true CFer. I want that defense but if he’s really struggling or hurt or something, he needs to lose at bats too.

As for trades in season, if the young kids perform, something will get done. He needs pitching.  They can actually be buyers and sellers at the same time if they want and it not even hurt them to sell.  Thats crazy to think about.

Edited by Sports Guy

19 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

This is all very simple.  We are just blessed to have Elias and his team here in Baltimore.

I started a thread 2 or 3 years ago saying we should give Elias 10 years and $100 million. I was basically ridiculed. 

I'm not sure he'd take that offer at this point.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Silent J is Kjerstad.  I agree on Cowser.  He’s got some weaknesses at the plate but not sure I’d call Mayo more talented.  How can people keep underestimating Cowser’s power, plus he’s a plus corner OF and is average to above average in all 5 tools.

It's really hard to put these guys into tiers when they are all top 20-50ish prospects.  

Cowser could end up being the best of them all.  Who knows. I think he has just as much upside and a higher floor than Mayo and Kjerstad because of his defense. 

Who is more talented?  That is completely subjective and depends on what skill sets you value the most. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sports Guy said:

I agree with every word of this post. 

And to be clear, the guys I really think should see a drastic drop in at bats would be OHearn and Hays.  Mounty and Santander would still be 500+ guys but maybe not 600+.

It also means that Adley gets less DH time, which I think should be happening anyway.

The wild card in this is Mullins. The bottom line is I want him in the lineup everyday because he’s our only true CFer. I want that defense but if he’s really struggling or hurt or something, he needs to lose at bats too.

O’Hearn is only a part-time/platoon player as is.

I agree on Adley. I hope that the goal is to get the rest of the lineup to be strong enough to the point where he can take more off days/rest days to preserve him for the long season.

Kjerstad Norfolk splits (2023-2024)

Vs lefties

wOBA = .347

xwOBA = .336

K% = 21.5%

BB% = 5.6%

Whiff = 28.7%

Hard hit = 41.0%

Vs righties 

wOBA = .426

xwOBA = .377

K% = 20.5%

BB% = 9.9%

Whiff = 24.3%

Hard hit = 47.2%

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Also, who’s J?

The 2 most overall talented players in the org are Holliday and Gunnar.

Adley is the most important.

You can argue that Basallo has the highest ceiling.

Mayo is right there with them.  

This is no shot at Cowser, HK or anyone else.  These guys are just that good.

2 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I started a thread 2 or 3 years ago saying we should give Elias 10 years and $100 million. I was basically ridiculed. 

I don’t know what Friedman or Stearns make. But I’m sure that will be the comp used by his agent. And whatever that number is I’m sure Rubenstein will work off of that to ensure that he stays running the Orioles for a long time.

3 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The 2 most overall talented players in the org are Holliday and Gunnar.

Adley is the most important.

You can argue that Basallo has the highest ceiling.

Mayo is right there with them.  

This is no shot at Cowser, HK or anyone else.  These guys are just that good.

You don’t downgrade Mayo because of the defense? Or do you think that the plus arm will allow him to play in RF?

28 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Blank check..but not just him. Sig and the often overlooked Eve Rosenbaum should be priorities as well. 

Now, Eve or Sig may eventually want to run the ship on their own and leave. That’s understandable but I would make it hard for them to leave, like the Ravens did for years with DeCosta.

Edited by Sports Guy