Kjerstad Joining Team

We are trying to win the AL East vs the 350 million dollar Yankees. Kjerstad may have to move into Hays role as 1-2 starts per week with some pinch hitting stints. We instantly add a middle of the order pinch hitter to the lineup. He’s 25 years old and ready to contribute to this team. 

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Have to sit someone who usually plays  vs RHP to play Kjerstad. Perhaps Adley will pretty much catch all games vs RHP. Still have to sit one of O’Hearn, Mountcastle, Mullins, Santander to play Kjerstad. 

It just doesn't make sense to sit any of those guys the way they are currently playing, unless Mounty or someone else is banged up for awhile.  Even Santander is hitting pretty well now, and I doubt Kjerstad's defense is better than Santander's.  Maybe they'll give each of those guys an extra day off here and there to get Kjerstad's bat in the lineup.  

3 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

We are trying to win the AL East vs the 350 million dollar Yankees. Kjerstad may have to move into Hays role as 1-2 starts per week with some pinch hitting stints. We instantly add a middle of the order pinch hitter to the lineup. He’s 25 years old and ready to contribute to this team. 

Kjerstad is too good to merely pinch hit, in my opinion. If he needs an acclimation period, like pretty much every recent Orioles prospect has needed, I want him to get everyday at bats at the MLB level so that he gets comfortable and is more likely to contribute during a playoff run. That's why I didn't like bringing O'Hearn back this season, and O'Hearn is still the guy who needs to go to make room for everyday at bats for Kjerstad - O'Hearn's great start be damned.

31 minutes ago, Brooks The Great said:

Kjerstad is too good to merely pinch hit, in my opinion. If he needs an acclimation period, like pretty much every recent Orioles prospect has needed, I want him to get everyday at bats at the MLB level so that he gets comfortable and is more likely to contribute during a playoff run. That's why I didn't like bringing O'Hearn back this season, and O'Hearn is still the guy who needs to go to make room for everyday at bats for Kjerstad - O'Hearn's great start be damned.

I agree with the statement but we have to trot out the best 26 at this point. I do not think Elias took this decision lightly. Maybe we find out more on Mountcastle tomorrow. Kjerstad will be pencilled in at DH tomorrow

5 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

I agree with the statement but we have to trot out the best 26 at this point. I do not think Elias took this decision lightly. Maybe we find out more on Mountcastle tomorrow. Kjerstad will be pencilled in at DH tomorrow

I'm guessing Kjerstad RF tomorrow with Santander DH to give him some rest. 

Gunnar SS, Adley C, Santnader DH, O'Hearn 1B, Westburg 3B, Cowser LF, Mullins CF, Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B

1 hour ago, EddeeEddee said:

Unless Mountcastle is out for awhile -- in which case I assume he would DH -- I don't see where Kjerstad will play.  Maybe his bat is good enough to hit against lefties.  

Second base.

47 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

It just doesn't make sense to sit any of those guys the way they are currently playing, unless Mounty or someone else is banged up for awhile.  Even Santander is hitting pretty well now, and I doubt Kjerstad's defense is better than Santander's.  Maybe they'll give each of those guys an extra day off here and there to get Kjerstad's bat in the lineup.  

I get you.  Can rotate it around some. Adley can sit here and there some as well I guess. 

I tend to think he plays maybe 3/4 games a week at most. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Gunnar SS, Adley C, Santnader DH, O'Hearn 1B, Westburg 3B, Cowser LF, Mullins CF, Kjerstad RF, Holliday 2B

No chance he is in right. He will DH

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

That lineup makes sense. 

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

This is a surprise.  Unless Mountcastle is down for awhile I don’t see where Kjerstad gets AB’s.

Kjerstad is certainly deserving, but I'm a little surprised too given the team could use a right handed bat more than a left handed one right now. If Mountcastle is going to be out a few games then Kjerstad will get that chance to play.

Whatever the case I'm excited to see what Kjerstad can do.